handicapped shooter needs YOUR help

barrygray0

I need advice ! ! ! ! I am handicapped to the extent I must use a cane for mobility and balance , I also wear a knee brace . Now here is my problem I use the cane on my LEFT side , my RIGHT knee is bad and I am a LEFT hand shooter . I have tried shooting RIGHT handed but forget it ! ! ! I have and shoot everything from 44 mag. to 22 . I would like advice as to what type of concealed carry holster to use and where to get it . THANK YOU in advance and GOD BLESS

Howdy Barry,

Switch your cane to your right hand and side.

I have bad knees too and have had a partial knee replacement on my right knee that needs to be replaced with a TKR. I prefer to use the cane on same side as my knee ( this works best in my case ) but since I'm right handed and carry OWB @ 3:00 this means I have to use my left hand for my cane.

I rarely have to use a cane, mainly used it after surgery on my knee, but that what I do.

Believe it or not a well made cane is an excellent SD weapon against a BG that doesn't have a gun.

HTH

Paul

P.S. Never and I mean NEVER get a partial knee replacement. If your Doc insist on you getting a partial, find a new Doc.

Are you using the cane for support or stability? I only carry a cane when going to known "gun free zones". As such, I carry/use the device with my strong hand. It is normal to use a cane for support with the strong hand but you can easily train yourself to use your cane in either hand for support or stability. Use care at first until you're comfortable using the weak hand. If the support is absolutely required and your weak hand is not strong enough for a cane, you might go to a forearm crutch. Much stronger support and more stabile than a regular cane while not being much more difficult to manage.

I can't help but think of the old saying " WHERE THERE'S A WILL THERE'S A WAY "........ now I just need to find the W A Y ! ! ! ! !

Get yourself a Tarus Tracker and shoot Right handed.
You'll want to shoot the 410 Caliber more than likely. The .45 Long Colt wouldn't help you any.

There are several choices of hand Guns that shoot a 410 shot gun round and several configurations for the load.

Holsters?

Kholster Holster

Crossbreed

Alien Gear

They will all make you a holster.

I am left handed but do not need a cane. I have been trying to picture this if it were my situation.
You need it for mobility and balance while walking. If you can stand with a degree of balance momentarily as you switch the cane from left to right hand then balance with cane in right hand. You are not going to shoot on the run.
I would have to try this in your situation, but as you pass the cane from left to right tour left hand would naturally pass the left front of your inner hip.
This would be appendix carry. Even though the appendix is on your right side I guess we would more accurately call this appendix carry for lefties.
I think this would bring the gun closest to your left hand if you were to transition the cane from left to right.
As far as concealment you would have to figure out what works best for you OWB or IWB. Maybe either depending on apparel.
Good luck and let us know what you decide and what works best. I think OWB would be easier access.

Get yourself a Tarus Tracker and shoot Right handed.
You'll want to shoot the 410 Caliber more than likely. The .45 Long Colt wouldn't help you any.

There are several choices of hand Guns that shoot a 410 shot gun round and several configurations for the load.

Holsters?

Kholster Holster

Crossbreed

Alien Gear

They will all make you a holster.

.410! Great idea! Might not have to be as accurate. Of course always know your target and what is beyond/around it.

Last edited:
Howdy Barry,

Forget the .410. Get a CCW handgun that you like and practice using your right hand while holding your cane with your left hand.

Hopefully you'll never need to use your handgun but if you do more likely than not the BG will be be less than 10' away so shootin' a tin can at 50yds accuracy isn't needed. Being able to draw and hit a torso size target at 10' is all you need.

HTH

Paul

Howdy Barry,

Forget the .410. Get a CCW handgun that you like and practice using your right hand while holding your cane with your left hand.

Hopefully you'll never need to use your handgun but if you do more likely than not the BG will be be less than 10' away so shootin' a tin can at 50yds accuracy isn't needed. Being able to draw and hit a torso size target at 10' is all you need.

HTH

Paul

That Tarus IS a Handgun... Like the Judge, Just shoots a 410 round.

For a bad right knee keep using the cane properly... in the left hand. using the cane in the right hand may change your gate leading to more knee problems.
I would say you carry on the strong side (left) regardless of the cane. You're natural tendencies are left hand and right gate. That's what your body naturally knows. That should be the basis of your stable shooting platform. Better to practice drawing while shifting the cane.

I had to use a cane for several years due to a back injury, so your problem might be different, but if you can stand still upright without the cane, you might practice just dropping it to draw and fire. That's what I wound up doing.

But I challenge you to reconsider learning to shoot with the right hand. I've been teaching people to shoot for a lot of years now, and I can only remember a few people who were so one hand dominant they couldn't even pick things up with that hand. Hand dominance just isn't that absolute in most people, but if they get their mind set that they "can't" use it, they won't even try. It will take a lot of practice, and plenty of time of course, but if you truly want to be prepared to defend yourself, you will find both the will and the way. Find a good instructor to help you modify your carry rig and method until you can do it, however difficult it is and however much you wish it wasn't necessary.

When that bad guy is coming at you like a freight train, you don't want to be stuck with "I can't" by any means. Even if you never get really good at using the right hand, you will be head and shoulders above the fella who won't even try.

Also consider one should be able to shoot effectively with either hand. This is because your strong side can be injured in a fight. Be able to shoot with either hand and either eye.

I need advice ! ! ! ! I am handicapped to the extent I must use a cane for mobility and balance , I also wear a knee brace . Now here is my problem I use the cane on my LEFT side , my RIGHT knee is bad and I am a LEFT hand shooter . I have tried shooting RIGHT handed but forget it ! ! ! I have and shoot everything from 44 mag. to 22 . I would like advice as to what type of concealed carry holster to use and where to get it . THANK YOU in advance and GOD BLESS

Hey Barry, That's not an easy thing to figure out, especially with no experience using a cane. Are you saying you cannot balance yourself enough to let the cane drop and draw your weapon if needed?

If you are unable to balance without the cane and unable to use it with your right hand, what about a single crutch? Seems like you could access your holster with left hand while using the crutch with your armpit for stabilization. Maybe a bag like this on the crutch would work with your gun.

Link Removed

Thanks for everyone's help and idea

Cane-gun or wheelchair.
well life has now dealt me a different hand ! I require the use of a walker and CAN NOT stand unsupported , a motorized wheelchair is now going to be the answer to my situation . When I do get one concealment on the strong side will not be a problem . To all the YOUNGER folks out there TAKE CARE OF YOU BODY WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG OR LIFE MAY DEAL YOU THE SAME HAND I NOW HOLD ! ! ! GOD bless to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR

well life has now dealt me a different hand ! I require the use of a walker and CAN NOT stand unsupported , a motorized wheelchair is now going to be the answer to my situation . When I do get one concealment on the strong side will not be a problem . To all the YOUNGER folks out there TAKE CARE OF YOU BODY WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG OR LIFE MAY DEAL YOU THE SAME HAND I NOW HOLD ! ! ! GOD bless to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR

In the wheel chair I would suggest a cross draw shoulder holster so the sitting position in the wheelchair does not interfere. Also, what state are you in? Is concealed carry a requirement? Seems like in a wheel chair open carry cross draw shoulder holster would be the fastest.

I would suggest you not change hands or cane position.. If you can drop your cane and stand, then you can defend yourself. Any defense you will have to deal with will be less than 30 seconds. IM also a disabled veteran. But I've been a civilian weapons carrier for almost 40 years. AS we get old and more feeble in our gate, we become a visual target as a victim of attack. You can practice your aim and draw at a range if you can support yourself on a bar stool. you need to be in almost the same position you would be in without the cane. you can practice muscle memory and sharpen your skills . The older we get, the more potential for a problem to occur. IM 70 years old, but go to the range almost every week... at least three times a month , and four time a month in nicer weather. Don't handicap your self by trying to switch your comfort zone, IM left handed, but I do practice shooting right handed too. I shoot at least 50 rounds of my carry load ( 45 ACP +P 230 grain ). Having a chance can make a big difference in the way you carry yourself, even with a cane.. Lots of people can see confidence in someone who can protect themself, and also can see those who cant. Good Luck, I hope I was able to give you some perspective. Happy New Year.
Bill aka ET

:smile: Two years ago, now, I had my right knee replaced with a brand new, bright 'n shiny, stainless steel one. (It was a, 'stitch' of an operation; and the recovery period was long; but I got through it.)

Before that I used a cane in my left hand for, something like, 23 years. During this time I endured two separate surgeries and lots of physical rehabilitation. I've also been to, 'cane school' more than once. Consequently, I feel better qualified than most to offer an opinion on your problem. My honest personal opinion is for you to simply DROP THE CANE AND DO WHAT YOU'VE GOT TO DO. (You can, even, lean up against a wall if you have to.)

It's your right knee, and not your left. The only reason you've been told to use the cane in your left hand is (1) to support more of your body weight when you step forward with your right leg, and (2) to alleviate possible longterm wear and twisting of your spine. When you stand still you shouldn't need the additional support from the cane. Your knee couldn't be any worse than mine once was. I used to hobble into IDPA matches, wait my turn, walk up to the start-box, drop my cane, and shoot my way through the course. The only physical actions I couldn't do were to kneel, or run. I had to walk, and remain upright for everything.

If you are able to walk with a cane then you should also be able to stand still and fire a gun. I did this through 23 years and several armed confrontations. (Possibly because the more active you are, and the more places you go, then the more vulnerable you will appear to be. 'People are people' and there will always be some who will try to intimidate and take unfair advantage of the less physically able.) Nevertheless, you should be able to do something similar to what I’ve done for myself for yourself, too.

As for shooting with your right hand? I've been a certified pistol and riflery instructor for the past twelve years. I’ve, also, been an active competitor and gun club member for, well, most of my long life. I’m able to tell you that it’s very common for a right handed pistol shooter to be more accurate - but, perhaps, a little slower - when using a pistol with his left hand.

In your case (and because of how the human brain works) I'd expect you to be faster, but less accurate with your right hand; but, still, entirely capable of hitting COM on a man-sized target at and inside 10 or 12 yards. The best street combat holsters are the ones that ride at 10 and 2 o'clock on your belt. The usual place where you will be most vulnerable is whenever you're sitting behind the wheel of a car. Why? Because a right handed shooter will be able to bring his pistol into action very quickly; but you will not.

As for me? I'm ambidextrous. I own both right and left handed holsters. On those days when I know I'm not going to be driving I'll carry at 10:00 o'clock on my left hand side. Why? Because this gives me a speed and range-of-motion advantage while I'm sitting in the passenger-seat. On days when I'm the driver I'll carry at 2:00 o'clock on my right hand side. Does it ever get confusing? Yes, once in awhile I've been known to reach for a pistol with my right hand when I'm actually carrying on my left; but, happily, I've never done anything like this when it might have made a difference. How did I become ambidextrous? Another accident! When I was thirteen years old I lost the use of my right hand for more than a year and a half. That’s all it took; and, all of a sudden like, after I regained the use of my right hand I could use any tool or weapon, proficiently, with either hand.

After thinking about it I'm going to say something else for your benefit: I grew up in a very tough military school type environment. Weaklings didn't last; and there were occasional emotional dropouts and even one suicide. There were, also, distinct benefits to growing up in a school that always demanded the greatest personal effort you were able to muster. If a student were able to maintain, at least, a C average he’d be allowed to attend one of the best high schools in North America. If, however, his cumulative grade average dropped below C then he'd get pulled out, and sent to vo-tech high school, instead.

Because we, all, knew that our futures were on the line if a boy had the ability to learn then he used it to stay ahead of whatever academic standard was expected of him. (Things aren't done that way in American education, today; are they!) I suppose the idea was that, no matter what, you never let the system or the environment get the better of you at anything. After the second accident I realized that I'd been permanently injured; and I made up my mind that, no matter what, I was going to continue living as normal a life as possible. Without going into detail, it became necessary for me to have to learn to do a lot of things, like skillfully handling pistols, all over again. (Because severe physical trauma can shake you up like that!)

My suggestion to you would be to take your time. Don't be quick to give up. If you don't shoot well with your right hand, today, then stay with it, and see how much better you can shoot a month, or two, from now. The worst thing someone like you or I can do is to allow ourselves to believe that we can't. Put your cane on a pistol lanyard and, thereafter, drop it and pick it up as needed.

(There's no such thing as, 'I can't'.) :wink:

NOTE: By the way, the very best pistol shooting I’ve ever done in my entire life I did AFTER the second accident, and not before. Why? Because I wanted to. God bless you, too. I hope you feel better.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back