Handguns at Private Colleges

JMRogers

The way I understand TN law, businesses must have conspicuous postings prohibiting handguns at the entrance of the business (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf). How does this apply to private colleges? State colleges/parks, etc. don't have to post their prohibitions, as I understand it. But a private college is somewhere between a business and a state college. Can anyone clarify this for me please?

All schools Private or Public, including Colleges and Universities are off-limits by law. T.C.A. §39-17-1309 Although sings are required to be posted per §39-17-1309 (not the same as the general posting law §39-17-1359), there are court cases of convictions even without such posting.

There are certain defenses and exception in T.C.A. §39-17-1310 and §39-17-1313

See here LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

All schools Private or Public, including Colleges and Universities are off-limits by law. T.C.A. §39-17-1309 Although sings are required to be posted per §39-17-1309 (not the same as the general posting law §39-17-1359), there are court cases of convictions even without such posting.

There are certain defenses and exception in T.C.A. §39-17-1310 and §39-17-1313

See here LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

You may be right, but I'm not so sure as most privately run institutions basicly make there own rules as it is "private" and weather or not they receive state funds, and as you said it may boil down to weather or not theres a sticker on the door and then if its in the right place on the door

You may be right, but I'm not so sure as most privately run institutions basicly make there own rules as it is "private" and weather or not they receive state funds, and as you said it may boil down to weather or not theres a sticker on the door and then if its in the right place on the door

Private institutions can make their own rules, but those rules can not violate state law.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood the law as an adult with a permit I can carry a handgun in my car on the grounds of a school/university as long as it's not being handled nor in the open and stays in my vehicle. I say this because my wife (also a permit holder), works for a large teaching hospital/university in Nashville that does not allow her to carry as she's an employee. However, when I drop her off, or pick her up from work, my carry gun is in the glove compartment on school grounds. I also believe there was recent legislation on this to clarify this issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood the law as an adult with a permit I can carry a handgun in my car on the grounds of a school/university as long as it's not being handled nor in the open and stays in my vehicle. I say this because my wife (also a permit holder), works for a large teaching hospital/university in Nashville that does not allow her to carry as she's an employee. However, when I drop her off, or pick her up from work, my carry gun is in the glove compartment on school grounds. I also believe there was recent legislation on this to clarify this issue.

Correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back