Hand cannon

missoak

Picked up my new Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 Magnum
yesterday. Will be taking it to the range tomorrow.
Not much ammo for it out there. Was able to find one box
of American Eagle hollow points. Have a good line on some re-loads.
Never shot a handgun this powerful. Should be a blast.
Notice the 22 lr for comparison.

Nice gun, a few words of advice if you can ware gloves, make each shot count, meening carefuly aim at something and be in no hurry with follow up shots that gun will sting, and after 30 - 40 rds your hands will feel it, I feel I'm sort of qaulifyed to tell you cause I shoot a 500 mag, 4 inch barrel, have had the gun for 3 or so years now, and its probably at least 50% stronger than the 44, but your 44 with that stubby barrel is going to be a REAL handful, only thing else I can say is don't get pissed at it if it hurts, its not the guns fault, and as I said don't go to the range the first day and try to blast off 2 or 3 hundred rds, OH one other thing I would advise shooting some 44 special to start out with, with this the gun wont feel like a grenade went off in your hand, and you will have much better groups

I appreciate the input. I have shot a similar gun in 41 Mag. But I plan on easing into it.
Having a hard time finding any ammo around Detroit, but going to the range tomorrow. Hope
they have some Specials I can buy.
Range report tomorrow.

Heh, perfect timing... Here's mine!!! Ruger New Model - Super Blackhawk .44mag

Picked this bad boy up for $300! Yes, it's used but fires perfectly and the finish is great! Luckily, I reload .44 so I'm not too worried about the ammo... I put a baby .22s in there for effect. :biggrin:

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

When I brought my (older model) .44 Magnum Vaquero home it had a 7 1/2 " barrel. Because I wanted it to be my everyday carry, I had the barrel cut down to 4 5/8 ". Accuracy is dead on and with the Hogue combat grips recoil is a piece of cake.

Link Removed

Nice gun...used one in Alaska

Picked this bad boy up for $300! Yes, it's used but fires perfectly and the finish is great! Luckily, I reload .44 so I'm not too worried about the ammo... I put a baby .22s in there for effect. :biggrin:

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

I carried one of these in Alaska for a year..."protection against bears" or so I thought. I was enlightened by a hunting guide friend. Carry the Ruger .44 for a final coup de gras (yourself) after the bear has attacked you. He thought it generally useless for bear protection in the first place. Advised I carry a shotgun. I took his advice and bought a Remington 870 w/18" barrel, swat extention, and folding stock. Loaded it with 2 each 12 ga. double 00 and followed with rifled slugs...a total of 8. Carried that for the nexr 6 years. Never had to defend myself but felt invincible! It now provides home protection.l

looks identical to mine, but it has the 10 .5" barrel. it was my fathers. he bought it for boar hunting.

Picked up my new Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 Magnum
yesterday. Will be taking it to the range tomorrow.
Not much ammo for it out there. Was able to find one box
of American Eagle hollow points. Have a good line on some re-loads.
Never shot a handgun this powerful. Should be a blast.
Notice the 22 lr for comparison.

Placing the second round on target will be truly a bear.............YES pun intended.

The Super RedHawk is a pretty robust handgun. It also comes with the Hogue "Tamer" Grips with the Smurf Blue Sorbothane strip dowb the back to help soak up recoil. Much more fun to shoot than an X Frame S&W.
If you keep the serious hunting ammo out of it, it should be reasonably tolerable.
I have never had a Snub SRH, but I have had 2 of the 7-1/2 Inch 44's and a 7-1/2 Inch 480, and the one I still hunt with is a 9-1/2 Inch 480.
I always shot the 310 Hammer Heads put of my 44's. They recoil almost as serious as the 480 with 375's.
My advice is get into reloading. Besides being much cheaper to shoot, you are not dependant on a store for your ammunition needs.
My 480 SRH has never had a factory round fired through it since leaving the factory. I have several other handguns that have never shot factory ammo since leaving the factory, as well as some rifles. My Long Range Rifle is a 338 Lapua, and my all purpose 223 Match / Coyote Rifle are both Custom Built, and neither has ever digested a factory loaded round EVER.
Bob The Revolver Guy

Ok, got to the range. Shot 3 loads through it. Got better as I went along. All my shots would be fatal.
First shot in the 7 ring---6 in the 8 ring--8 in the 9 ring--2 in the 10 ring, & 1 just touching the X.
Overall it was a good experience. Re-coil was about as I expected.
I don't re-load, but have some friends that do.So my ammo needs will be taken care of.
Thanks to all for your input & support. Another purchase of something I wanted--Not something
I need. But this gun is built like a tank, plus there's just something about Ruger's that I can't resist.

I don't have what the hand cannons yawl have, but I do have a Ruger .357 Blackhawk. I shoot mostly .38 for most practice and when a friend wants to shoot it, I let them shoot a .357 mag shell.

When I first got the gun, I had trouble with my grouping (4.5" barrel), I sent the gun back to Ruger and had the 6" barrel put on it. It does help tame the kick.

Yep, Tapatalk!!

I don't have what the hand cannons yawl have, but I do have a Ruger .357 Blackhawk.
When I first got the gun, I had trouble with my grouping (4.5" barrel), I sent the gun back to Ruger and had the 6" barrel put on it. It does help tame the kick.
A .357 with a 4.5" barrel has a kick? :sarcastic:

That's not a hand cannon, this is a hand cannon... BFR .45/70, 10 inch barrel shooting 405gr bullets, that's my Sig C3 (.45acp) next to it.

Link Removed

My favorite revolver to shoot is my S&W 629 with a 4" barrel, but I have been thinking about picking up an Alaskan, but haven't found one around me, or talked to anyone who has one, so I was glad to see your post! As far as ammo for .44s, not sure if there are any issues with internet purchases in MI, but I was having pretty good luck with ammunitiontogo.com and also sgammo.com, at least prior them refusing to ship to NY.

That's not a hand cannon, this is a hand cannon... BFR .45/70, 10 inch barrel shooting 405gr bullets, that's my Sig C3 (.45acp) next to it.

I was wondering who bought one of these! You have my respect, sir. I have a 45/70 carbine, and that has a bit of a kick, I can only image what your cannon is like.

My favorite revolver to shoot is my S&W 629 with a 4" barrel, but I have been thinking about picking up an Alaskan, but haven't found one around me, or talked to anyone who has one, so I was glad to see your post! As far as ammo for .44s, not sure if there are any issues with internet purchases in MI, but I was having pretty good luck with ammunitiontogo.com and also sgammo.com, at least prior them refusing to ship to NY.
I am having some luck finding ammo. I also have a couple friends that will re-load some for me as I accumulate some brass. Mi. gun laws are pretty permissive compared to other states. I picked up a couple boxes of 44sp. re-loads. Shot some of them the other day. The gun is so heavy that recoil is not a problem unless I shoot some hot mags. Even then it is very managable.
Good luck finding one. It will be worth it.

My next purchase will be a redhawk 44 mag...love that thing...owned one before and had to get rid of it ..kids came first..now in the market for another

Sent from my LGL86C using USA Carry mobile app

We had an open carry march here recently & I carried the Alaskan. As heavy as it is, I was really surprised how well it carried.
I'm no spring chicken, have some lower extremity problems, march was a couple miles at least. No problem.

I wouldn't give this a HIGH practical rating, but the COOL factor makes it worth the $$$.
Some day a S&W 500.

Love those Ruger big bore pistols! Love my Super Redhawk .44 mag with the 7.5" barrel. I carry it when fishing Alaskan streams or when hunting for (or in the presence of) dangerous game.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back