Gunbelt Choice

BeeKeith

Okay...... Been around for over half a century. Guns in the home has always been a given for whatever reason. Mostly dove hunting down in south Texas. Sought a few dear in the NE Texas area. Now, about to get into concealed carry. Recently bought a Citadel .45 with a 3.5 inch barrel. Didn't have any experience with that brand, but, after shooting it and reading some other's take on it, totally satisfied. No buyer's remorse. I've heard it said "I can't afford to be cheap stuff". The Citadel may be less expensive. But it's not "cheap". Kind of falls into the photo equipment way of thinking. "What's your camera budget? 500 dollars? Okay, buy a 250 dollar camera and 250 worth of film." I know film is from the olden days, but you get it. Now, holsters have been thought through. I'm about ready to order a Tucker Gunleather hybrid. I've read much. Everybody has their favorite. Several also have a box or drawer full of those they don't use. Not sure if Tucker's really is the best, but I think I'll be happy. Now, about the belt. Most that I've read here and there or seen on youtube go to a 1.5 laminated belt that won't stretch. And if held level by one hand, won't sag. Now......... What I want, needs to work, be comfortable, and look good. (To me, dressy is when you iron your jeans. And if budget allows an elephant hide belt, not out of place anywhere I go). But, there is one company, Bullhide Belts. They use 1/4 thick leather. No laminating. As far of sagging? If I may use a little sarcasm to speed up the conversation..... my jeans have more than on belt loop. Stretch? I'd hate if a pair of leather boots didn't stretch a little to fit me. And they offer a 1.25 width in their belts listed under their "Gunbelts" classification. Holster makers have 1.25 in the specs listings, so I'm thinking that is okay? My reason for the narrower size is that I'm 5'10" 155 lbs. and the wider belt looks like it would draw a little more attention to the cc area. Not what any cc'rs has in mind. Nobody has my credit card number yet, so I'm still thinking. Any input? It'd all be appreciated.
Thanks, Ya'll
Keith.

The phrase is, " I cant afford to buy anything too cheap " ... I said that one day in 1960 after never having heard anyone say it and have been saying it for 50 years. It still holds true today...I also have a drawer full of holsters I don't use, a conceal holster is one that isn't seen. A conceal holster is one that is comfortable to the point you do not know its there...A conceal holster is one you can access with out unbuttoning, unzipping, un snapping, or having to lift to access. a Conceal holster does not have to look pretty. this is my conceal holster

i-2Xf7L26-L.jpg

Okay, you got me on not being totally clear on it looking good. Living in a rural area, my connection dropped about three times as I wrote the original post. Before I was through, I was close to dipping further into that bag of vocabulary words I agreed not to use. Moderators are watching. Yes, the holster's appearance doesn't matter to anyone but me. When it comes to that, I'll be going for a Brigade or Milt Sparks. The thread's initial point was about the belt. Next thing you know, I'm remembering tromping around those fields in S. Texas looking for a dove I just shot while hunting with my dad. I'm surprised nobody chimed in to mention the "dear". Lol. I bought a good" Carhartt. Best I could find locally. When I got home with it, I knew pretty quick I wasn't going to like it. And the 1.5 was looking a little "YMCA" on me if you know what I mean. The scale of it on me would take a little getting used to. And yep E-T, I'm not through yet. I too am considering a "conceal" along the lines that you've got. BTW, would that be a diver's watch I see?

Yes my watch is a Rolex Submariner...
Link Removed

my conceal carry holster summer and winter is this:
i-8p8xjDS-L.jpg

summer
i-nK7GwfP-L.jpg

winter
i-5rj3CvS-L.jpg

i-GJJkQn5-L.jpg

i-KHgrNqR-L.jpg

One other question I forgot to ask. IWB clip options include Velcro. I don't see a lot mentioned about them. Pain in the butt? Best thing I didn't know I needed until I got 'em?

I use a Jake belt from Link Removed
Comfortable and nice looking. I wear jeans daily as well. Supports the weight very well, I cc a 5" 1911, and looks nice. As far as the Velcro clips, no experience there, the holsters I have use either kydex or steel clips. I have a holster from theis as well for my 9mm which I'm very happy with and another from Link Removed which is leather lined kydex for my 1911. Both very comfortable and effective.
Link RemovedLink Removed

Most of us old time carry guys have a drawer full of holsters.. you will finally find one that suits your needs... usually the next holster you buy is better then the one before it...In a perfect world having a holster that you don't know is there is about as best that it can get... IM there with mine, finally...

People sometimes spend a lot of money on a gun belt. Ok, if you have a lot of money and want to blow it. If you are a C/C legal carrier, you most likely are going to be covering up the belt anyway. If you're like me and not rolling in cash, you can go to Walmart or other "big box" stored and buy a good sturdy wide cowhide belt that will last you a good while. The belt I use everyday for C/C I bought over 10 years ago at Wally-world and still like it. I think I paid about $12-14 dollars for it. It has a buckle with 2 prongs that go through the belt and has a double row of holes the whole length of the belt. It is great for hooking other things like wallet chains, and key rings to it, clipped right through the holes. Great utility.
I bought another one last year at Wilson's Leather store and it was $35.00 and is not made as good.
I guess they just don't make 'em like they use to.

A good belt can make a so-so holster into a great one. The weight of the firearm will warp most cheaper belts. A very good belt can be found for $40-60. Look into sales and clearences. It is well worth the money and it will last years.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

Thanks for all the posts. Got a Tucker's hybrid on the way. I'll wait til I can cinch a belt I already have around it to see what the length will look like is needed. Then go from there. The belt shouldn't take as much time as the holster.
Thanks,
BeeKeith

Contributor: I see a Condition 1 cocked & Locked handgun, that will not rack with your belt. I see a fancy watch and a 9 dollar holster. Lots of hot and cold vibes.

Kimber makes a great gun, but not one I would subject to body sweat. The Kimber is like the Rolex, do you wear it to keep time, or fashion? How many LE agency's issue Kimbers? Off the top of my head, I do not know of any.

OP: All components should fit snug. If you have 1.5" belt loops, get a 1.5" belt. Then also order a 1.5" holster. Keeps things from moving any which way. The gun must stay exactly where you put it, and it is always in that same exact spot.

IMHO, hard to beat a quality IWB leather holster, for comfort on long days, everyday, that has been waterproofed with Renaissance Wax. I prefer DeSantis Mad Max.

The belt can be an Instructors belt from The Wilderness or a leather belt from A Better Belt USA. Both are outstanding products. Upgrade both belts to stiff.

You pretty-well nailed ET. One more thing about concealed carry I haven't seen except for a youtube video from a series of works done by Tom Gresham, "Gun Talk". "Don't tell your buddies!" In a bad situation, you don't want somebody verbally announcing to all around "They have a gun! PULL YOURS!!!!!!!" Thus, there goes your element of surprise. And if that is already painfully obvious to most here, I'm only now starting the serious steps in the direction of cc.
And thanks for the input MDT. I'm looking at a budget around $75. My question now is, solid 1/4 inch bull hide vs. laminated? It looks like solid would give a chance of breaking in to a personal fit if was a one layer. Am I splitting hairs?

Contributor: I see a Condition 1 cocked & Locked handgun, that will not rack with your belt. I see a fancy watch and a 9 dollar holster. Lots of hot and cold vibes.

Cocked and locked is how you carry a defensive weapon that has three interlocking safeties before firing. Don't know what " won't rack on your belt " means.. the Rolex picture was a request in answer to the question " is it a divers watch/" The Rolex can handle 1000 feet of pressure in salt water under adverse conditions. The nine dollar holster is light weight, goes inside the pocket to protect the trigger, keep any sweat off the weapon and any gun oils off my clothes. I have 100 dollars holsters and I have inexpensive holsters.. AS an engineer...simple is always best if it accomplishes form, fit, and function.. its taken me almost 40 years of conceal carry, and several hundred dollars in holster to come up with this customized holster carry solution, and its absolutely perfect for me... not trying ram it down anyone's throat...

Kimber makes a great gun, but not one I would subject to body sweat. The Kimber is like the Rolex(Exactly like a Rolex designed with stainless steel to handle adverse conditions ) do you wear it to keep time, or fashion? ( I have few dress watches that I wear for dress ) ( the Rolex, like the Kimber are high quality items held to exacting tolerances ) How many LE agency's issue Kimbers? Off the top of my head, I do not know of any.
All LEA have to answer to a budget committee, they are handcuffed not only by financial restraints but by legalities and logistics within the community board of directors.. Law enforcement agencies do not carry for personal protection, they carry to enforce the law in stuation where a civilian would rarely be involved. bottom line is, its not any individual law enforcement officers personal choice... My personal choice was this Kimber, I didn't have to get permission from the budget committee.. I have plenty of carry guns but this is the best I have to meet my need of heavy caliber.. light weight and well made.
OP: All components should fit snug. If you have 1.5" belt loops, get a 1.5" belt. Then also order a 1.5" holster. Keeps things from moving any which way. The gun must stay exactly where you put it, and it is always in that same exact spot.

IMHO, hard to beat a quality IWB leather holster, for comfort on long days, everyday, that has been waterproofed with Renaissance Wax. I prefer DeSantis Mad Max.

The belt can be an Instructors belt from The Wilderness or a leather belt from A Better Belt USA. Both are outstanding products. Upgrade both belts to stiff.
everyone is entitled to their own opinion as to why they do what they do... when some one comes to a forum to get input, they get lots of different opinions.. that why the come...

You pretty-well nailed ET. <--- hostility
IM not sure what this means?? Nailed ET ??? he made a few comments, but I would hardly call anything he said as Nailing anything...
Law enforcement agencies do not budget for High end guns, of which they are many. Sweat is more of an issue when the holster is inside the waist band and close to the skin than when its inside a holster that is inside a pocket. the Velcro I added to the pocket holster, puts it inside the pocket with out any movement or fear that it will come out with the weapon. the Velcro addition is something that I have designed into that 9 dollar holster. No one offers a pocket holster like this.. So a lot of conjecture, misinformation, and unwillingness to see that what someone else does, can not be put down with misinformation.. Nailed indeed. IM wonder why the hostility? Was it the 1600 dollar Kimber or the 10,000 dollar Rolex... .. I own the watch and the gun.. I wear it and use it... some one asked what the Watch was... I made no big deal of it.. but apparently someone chose to make something of the Kimber and the Watch.

One of the biggest problems with a waist high carry either inside or outside the waist band, is you bend at the waist.. you bend forward and back ( at the waist ) you bend from side to side ( at the waist ) when you have a ridged weapon the falls above and below the pivot of your waist , it is uncomfortable because it restricts flexibility.. I know when I wore a waist high holster the weapon grip was always digging to my side or my thigh when I moved around flexing side to side or front to back.. that's the reason for tactical holsters... they sit down on your leg at a point where there is no flexibility ( ITS COMFORTABLE )it also puts the weapon at a natural draw point at the ends of your arms... where as a waist high holster is a very unnatural and non fluid action.. the reason gun slingers of the 1800's wore their holster low on their leg, was that the gun was at the natural point of their hand when at the side... just the same position used in a tactical holster. Putting my weapon in almost the same spot. but concealed allows me to naturally have my hands In my pockets with out looking out of place.. anyone with their hands on their weapon in a waist high holster looks very obviously that they are carrying a weapon. and can not go to the ready position without drawing attention . where as, I can go to the ready and it looks like an old guy with his hand in his pockets.. and nothing more.

I'm at a the ready... not threatening and still ready to go...but if the threat because a non threat... I just relax, and no one knows the difference and draws no attention to myself at any point
i-2Xf7L26-L.jpg

here is a guy attempting to be as ready as me.. and has to do this to be as ready as I am.... he is telegraphing his readiness even before a threat becomes fizzled out.. this "go for your gun " looks bad in the face of anyone not knowing his motive.. including cops, off duty cops, security guards, and worse civilian CCW people..

One of the biggest problems with a waist high carry either inside or outside the waist band, is you bend at the waist.. you bend forward and back ( at the waist ) you bend from side to side ( at the waist ) when you have a ridged weapon the falls above and below the pivot of your waist , it is uncomfortable because it restricts flexibility.. I know when I wore a waist high holster the weapon grip was always digging to my side or my thigh when I moved around flexing side to side or front to back.. that's the reason for tactical holsters... they sit down on your leg at a point where there is no flexibility ( ITS COMFORTABLE )it also puts the weapon at a natural draw point at the ends of your arms... where as a waist high holster is a very unnatural and non fluid action.. the reason gun slingers of the 1800's wore their holster low on their leg, was that the gun was at the natural point of their hand when at the side... just the same position used in a tactical holster. Putting my weapon in almost the same spot. but concealed allows me to naturally have my hands In my pockets with out looking out of place.. anyone with their hands on their weapon in a waist high holster looks very obviously that they are carrying a weapon. and can not go to the ready position without drawing attention . where as, I can go to the ready and it looks like an old guy with his hand in his pockets.. and nothing more.

I'm at a the ready... not threatening and still ready to go...but if the threat because a non threat... I just relax, and no one knows the difference and draws no attention to myself at any point
i-2Xf7L26-L.jpg

here is a guy attempting to be as ready as me.. and has to do this to be as ready as I am.... he is telegraphing his readiness even before a threat becomes fizzled out.. this "go for your gun " looks bad in the face of anyone not knowing his motive.. including cops, off duty cops, security guards, and worse civilian CCW people..
Link Removed

ET. Apologies all around. Still a little intimidated with what is no longer "new" technology. I work a night shift job in an industry that still would fit right in to the rust belt. I have worked around an engineer and learned how one tiny omission can create a way wrong outcome. But a degree isn't necessary when the word "it" is what is omitted. My original statement should have been "You nailed it ET". Referencing what "concealed" means in simple wording that you had stated. Certainly no hostile intent. Again, I do apologize and look forward to your future input. Btw, the industry I'm in is rivet manufacturing. A cold heading operation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back