Gun safe questions

buddy

So I really need to buy a safe now. I am thinking about the liberty centurion fatboy jr, 48 gun fire rated for 1200 degrees and 45 minutes, or the cannon scout 48 gun. both are the same price around $1100. Right around 700 lbs.
Both seem to have very good reviews. I know practically any safe can be defeated by a pro, but these seem to have good protection.

Does anyone have any recommendations on these two, or any other safe in the same price range?

It will be used for not just guns and ammo, but some personal items as well.

I searched but did not find much. Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

I don't have anywhere near 48 guns, but I can dream can't I?

Thanks

My buddy just got a Superior safe. He did a lot of research (he's like that) and I have to admit $ for $, they put out a great product.
I have a Champion Crown series but I think I could have gotten more for my $$$ with a Superior. I love my safe, but I should have done more homework... Here's a video he posted on youtube.

What do you think about this Cannon Scout Series S40 60 in. H x 40 in. W x 29 in. D 64 Gun Fire Safe available @ Home Depot for $1,100.00? This is the one that I am thinking about.

Apparently it's cheaper now than it was when this gentleman bought his.

I have a Winchester and one just like mine was in a fire here. When the safe was opened, cash money in the safe was just as it was when it was put in the safe, no changes from the heat. The house burned down.

When you decide on the size you want, buy a bigger one. You will regret not having a larger safe pretty quickly.

I have a Winchester and one just like mine was in a fire here. When the safe was opened, cash money in the safe was just as it was when it was put in the safe, no changes from the heat. The house burned down. When you decide on the size you want, buy a bigger one. You will regret not having a larger safe pretty quickly.
Ditto buy QUALITY make sure it is fire rated and as stated figure out what size you think you need then buy two sixes larger this will be the best decision you make.

Some things to think about. External hinges allow you to remove the door when you move it, lessens the weight by around 30%. Many low end safes use internal hinges instead of bolts and provide less security. Also if someone tries to break into your safe the hinges are one of the first things they attack. External hinges are not part of the safe security, just load bearing for the door.

Make sure you bolt it to the floor. If they can lay it down it is much easier to break into.

Some safe companies (sorry can't remember right now the names) will at their expense open your safe for you in the event it is damaged by fire or attempted theft.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The Big horn safe I was looking at from Costco says free repair or replacement in the event of an attempted or actual Burglary attack or fire. Don't know about their quality though.
Link Removed

Some things to think about. External hinges allow you to remove the door when you move it, lessens the weight by around 30%. Many low end safes use internal hinges instead of bolts and provide less security. Also if someone tries to break into your safe the hinges are one of the first things they attack. External hinges are not part of the safe security, just load bearing for the door.

Make sure you bolt it to the floor. If they can lay it down it is much easier to break into.

Some safe companies (sorry can't remember right now the names) will at their expense open your safe for you in the event it is damaged by fire or attempted theft.

More reasons why I bought the Winchester safe. They have the external hinges and they will open your safe in case of fire or damage from felons.

I currently have an Oxbow which is made by cannon. It's not ideally what I want but for $800 it is secure enough and weighs in around 800#

My next safe will be a Liberty.

The Big horn safe I was looking at from Costco says free repair or replacement in the event of an attempted or actual Burglary attack or fire. Don't know about their quality though.
Link Removed

I have that safe.... from Costco.

If you have specific questions let em fly......

I really wanted a mechanical lock but went with that model because it was a killer deal.

I have had the safe for a year and still like it.

I'm doing the same research. I think I have decided on the fatboy (64) by liberty. But I'm very interested in what others have to say.

Is there a website or something that compares multiple safes? Also, what do we need specific about fire ratings, security ratings, FFL safe requirements.

Thanks all..........

I have that safe.... from Costco.

If you have specific questions let em fly......

I really wanted a mechanical lock but went with that model because it was a killer deal.

I have had the safe for a year and still like it.

For now the only questions I have is how do you like it and how hard is it to move? I wanted a mechanical lock too but I might just take this deal.

For now the only questions I have is how do you like it and how hard is it to move? I wanted a mechanical lock too but I might just take this deal.

I do like it. It isn't really large, but is the best I could do in my price range. Overall I have no complaints. I have called the company twice and both times they were extremely polite and helpful.

I moved the safe by using a truck jack to lift the door off of the hinges and then making two trips with an appliance dolly. I had to take it around a real tight corner on a split flight of stairs and to get it down the bottom flight I had to squeeze between it a nd the wall. That worried me quite a bit but I moved it without issue. The second trip with the door was a piece of cake. Used the truck jack to put the door back on and whola......... happy as a clam.

Is there a website or something that compares multiple safes? Also, what do we need specific about fire ratings, security ratings, FFL safe requirements.

Thanks all..........

There are no FFL safe requirements from ATF. There might be some from an insurer, but none from the feds.

I do like it. It isn't really large, but is the best I could do in my price range. Overall I have no complaints. I have called the company twice and both times they were extremely polite and helpful.

I moved the safe by using a truck jack to lift the door off of the hinges and then making two trips with an appliance dolly. I had to take it around a real tight corner on a split flight of stairs and to get it down the bottom flight I had to squeeze between it a nd the wall. That worried me quite a bit but I moved it without issue. The second trip with the door was a piece of cake. Used the truck jack to put the door back on and whola......... happy as a clam.

Sounds good. Thanks. I shouldn't have a problem with corners and there are no stairs. There's even a ramp from the garage to the house.

Liberty safes are very nice.

I use a Fort Knox though. Lifetime warranty on everything...including the lock.

Liberty makes great gunsafes. Here is a photo of mine.

Besides my guns, it also safely holds my 2 laptops, ammo, cameras, jewelry, documents and cash.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back