Gun Crime Statistics

PsychoZerO

With the 'National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill' trying to make its way towards being a law, I began to wonder about gun related crime statistics.

Does anyone know: Of the number (or percentage of) gun related crimes that occur each year in America, how many involve the instigation of a crime from an individual who is licensed to Conceal Carry using the gun that they are carrying?

I would hazard a guess that the number is remarkably low.

I don't know of any national numbers on the subject. I know that just recently the NY Times did a story on North Carolina permit holders who committed crimes. They used all crimes not just gun crimes in an attempt to portray CCW holders as a lawless and dangerous bunch. All this to counter HR 822. However, when their numbers were compared to the entire state population it was shown that CCW holders had half the rate of criminal acts as compared to the entire population showing they were in fact much more law abiding. In fact members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns have been shown to be 4 times as likely as a CCW holder to commit a crime.

Link Removed

dunno how valid.

Of course the one point missing is how many of those crimes were conducted in conflict with CCW laws, and how many would have been lessened if people were allowed to carry in those same places.

I dont trust those numbers much they quote that Jared Lee Loughner was a CCW holder which has been debated ( http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x436228 ) and also said he isnt so take those numbers with a grain of salt. That said even if these numbers are doctored as a ratio they are not all that bad.

Last edited:
Very interesting info - Thanks guys.

I'm not surprised at all that "anti-firearm" groups and media columnist have their own "numbers" and "statistics" on the subject. They serve as quick and convenient talking points to flash on a screen to justify their point.

Perhaps the "real" numbers are out there for this question. And I don't want to presume a bias; I just want to know what they are.

I know that it would not convince the people who are out there creating websites with titles like "Concealed Carry Killers", but it would serve as great ammunition (pardon the pun) to the proponents of Concealed Carry, as well as the public at large.

You can bet that any numbers used by special interest gun grabber groups, will fit what ever agenda they are trying to push, even if they have to make them up. After all they have a good example to work with. Look how the government counts unemployment.

Nobody keeps official stats on that for several reasons, the first being that it isn't a crime. Another reason there are no official stats is because no one is required to keep them, and any bureaucracy that collects or keeps stats costs money. You aren't going to find very many governmental entities who are going to expend extra money or effort on something if they don't have to, especially in an economy like the one we have now. And as far as a national scale goes, the only agencies who might gather and analyze such stats are controlled by an administration that has zero interest in portraying concealed carry in a positive light. So the answer is basically no.

You can bet if their where a lot crimes with ccw people the left news media would be having a field day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back