Good Handgun safe?

cam9910

Can anyone recommend any good handgun safes? Right now, with 2 kids in the house, I keep my handgun in a backpack, unloaded & locked in it's original factory case high in my closet out if sight.

I consider this to be safe, but totally inaccessible if I need quick access. I want to buy a safe so I can have quicker bedside access should I ever need it, but feel it's totally secure should the kids ever get curious. Are there any better brands of safes to look at, or places that have good deals on them?

Thank you.

Handgun safe

Can anyone recommend any good handgun safes? Right now, with 2 kids in the house, I keep my handgun in a backpack, unloaded & locked in it's original factory case high in my closet out if sight.

I consider this to be safe, but totally inaccessible if I need quick access. I want to buy a safe so I can have quicker bedside access should I ever need it, but feel it's totally secure should the kids ever get curious. Are there any better brands of safes to look at, or places that have good deals on them?

Thank you.

I use a safe like this one:

41O6o1xhymL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For around $30 this safe comes in keyed or combination versions. For quick access (like at night), keep the key on you when you sleep OR set the combination so that you don't have to turn too many dials to open it.

BTW, you can view more info on the safe here: Link Removed

They are VERY STURDY and good for fairly quick access. They are also useful for securing your pistol to something in your car for when you visit those pistol free zones (each one comes with a short cable). Basically, using this in your car is a deterrent for the snatch-and-grab car thief. It won't stop someone with heavy duty tools or someone who has enough time to smash it with a sledge hammer.

Make sure you get the right size for your handgun. They come in small and large versions.

I believe that they also meet the standards to transporting your gun through the airlines, but you would want to verify that first.

A quicker option might be a biometric safe. But those are a lot more expensive, and I've heard of some that are a little picky about how they read your fingerprints (I do believe that they all have keyed over-rides though in case the fingerprint reader fails or your batteries die).

Best of luck in your search.

I have one of those gunvault travel safes shown in eaccents post. I'm using it for my bedside gun. It's the gunvault Nano 300.

I was using it for just for my car carry, but every since my grandson started walking I've decided my guns need to be kept locked away.

However, working the combination on the Nano 300 is not conducive to quickly arming yourself at night.

I looked at the Stack On safes at Gander Mountain and decided to pass on them because the keyed access is just one of those bathroom door lock type key. Anyone can pop off the face plate and get into the safe with a screw driver.

I ordered the Link Removedfrom Amazon for $80 with shipping.

I looked at one in a local gun shop. It has a four finger electronic combination (can be set for any combination of 4 to 6 fingers) and a tubular key/lock (the round type key common on bike locks).

Link Removed

Like nogods, I use a GunVault safe. But mine is the mini-deluxe model which I keep under the bed. It's powered by AC with battery back-up and has a motion detector which alarms when someone moves the safe. The safe has an interior light and is large enough for my 5" 1911 and 3 mags. Most importantly, I can access the gun in less than 5 seconds.

Link Removed

My two gun safes

Here is the Auto safe I use for two reasons.

1) When I travel there are states I must lock up my weapon in order to travel thru.

2) Auto insurance only covers theft from a vehicle up to $500. My 1911, laser grip, Ammo & holster cost well over that.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/2...AS-1_autosafe_

Cheapest I found was on Amazon $29.97
Link Removed

I like this safe since I can remove from vehicle and hook to bed in hotel room when I'm in town for business and can't carry my weapon or have in vehicle either. It's small but hold my 3 inch 1911 and two spare magazines.

I just bought an additional safe, First Alert 3040DF Digital Security Box with Cable
Link Removed
This one is bigger much bigger. It has the retention leash also with key and battery powered push button key board. I keep it in the truck for larger items I don't want stolen from crash and grab thugs.

The leashes are routed thru the front seat metal frame. If thug has bolt cutters then they might have a chance stealing the safes. Short of bolt cutters I feel confident in storing items in my vehicle, house or Hotel.

Chap

Link Removed
Link Removed
In my opinion, this is the best handgun safe out there.
It's not the cheapest, but I would my Kimber is worth it:triniti:

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd post here for anyone else looking for a good biometric gun safe. I've shopped around a lot for a good biometric gunsafe and the best one that I've found is The GunBox Biometric + RF gun safe. Not only can I program all 10 of my fingerprints but I can program my husband's as well. Heck, I could program my toes if I wanted to. It holds about 200 fingerprints. It also comes with a RFID label and wristband. They also offer some sweet RFID rings as well. It holds my gun plus a magazine. I've even seen pictures of people that can fit 2 smaller guns in it. You can bolt it down, upside down to a wall etc. You have access to your guns in about 3 seconds. This gun safe exceeded my expectations and blows GunVault out of the water. Their videos are impressive too. They have videos where the GunBox is put through a "torture test" not only by the company but by other companies as well. These gun safes are not only child proof but have an alarm so if it is moved it will go off (sounds like a fire alarm).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back