Good for Arkansas

jameshd

CMFWIC
Link Removed

Don't know why it's in Mississippi gun news, but it's there.

More to the point, why aren't the affected persons and organizations working to get the thing better fixed.

According to the AR AG - no, permitless open or concealed carry is not allowed by Act 746. See: Link Removed

We do not have constitutional carry in Arkansas. Act 746 may be poorly written, and some might see it as such, but it decriminalizes the transport of a weapon outside the owners' county of residence (or circle of friends), while on a journey. No carry permit is needed to transport. To be criminal, LEOs have to prove that the weapon was to be used in a crime. A near impossibility with law-abiding gun owners.

There are some other word changes in the Act as well, but if interested, read-up.

There are pockets in Arkansas where LEOs are allowing open carry, until the wording of the Act is changed, but here in northwest Arkansas, if you open carry, they open a jail cell door for you.

Several years ago, an open carry specific bill was shot down quickly. Nothing has changed from then, to now.

I don't know of any challenges or arrests, that would set precedent and case law for the Act. I would hope nobody is foolish enough to try open carry where threat of arrest has already been aired.

There have been several OC marches. Law enforcement was notified ahead of time, they were there, and all went peacefully. I'm afraid next session the Act will be amended with bullet-proof (no pun intended) wording.

Finally (yes, finally) I was/am (yikes, gotta check on membership dues) a member of ArkansasCarry. While forum brass and other enthusiasts (members) are trumpeting this as open carry or constitutional carry, I have disagreed with this stance given the hostile warnings by LE here.

No cigar yet. Maybe in time.

Howdy,

Thinking that AR has an open carry law or a no permit required CCW law, we'll, they are nuts.

I'm on vacation right now celebrating my 50th birthday and as soon as I get home I have to renew my CHCL.

What's funny about this is that +95% of the people that I know that have a CHCL NEVER carry. Heck, one of my co-workers have a CHCL and doesn't even own a handgun. I myself carry +99.9% of the time when I'm not at work.

As far as open carry goes, I'm not a fan of it in urban areas. One of the versions of the old song "Poncho and Lefty" goes "...... Poncho wore his gun outside his pants for the honest world to fear."

Yep, scaring honest folks is about the only reason to open carry.

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back