Good encounter NYSP....

I was pulled over this weekend for passing on the shoulder when it was marked no passing...obviously i did not see the sign...The car I passed was a LEO, he pulled me over immediately...I was honest, said that I was looking at him and didn't see the sign. He checked my license and didn't even write me a warning. he asked me about my dog, no mention of pistol permit at all, by either of us. (he was NYSP). Very nice guy!

I was pulled over this weekend for passing on the shoulder when it was marked no passing...obviously i did not see the sign...The car I passed was a LEO, he pulled me over immediately...I was honest, said that I was looking at him and didn't see the sign. He checked my license and didn't even write me a warning. he asked me about my dog, no mention of pistol permit at all, by either of us. (he was NYSP). Very nice guy!

I didn't realize it was legal to pass on the shoulder of the road....

I guess i need to check on that...I have always done it. Never been pulled over before. I would think that if it is posted "no passing on shoulder" that in other places it is legal? Does anyone know the answer to this? It was one lane in each direction, solid white line on the outside, no curb, and the shoulder was paved....I did cross the white line to pass. FWIW I was thinking as I passed him that it didn't feel like the right thing to do! Guess I was right! I think that having my kids in the car helped. As I said...He was VERY NICE! VERY PROFESSIONAL! Thanks officer for not ruining my weekend!

In Arizona it used to be legal to pass on a paved shoulder, providing you did not have to leave the pavement to do so, and or throw any debris in the process. Haven't lived there in a few years, so do not know the law now. I live in NM. now, and am usually the slowest guy on the road, so everyone is passing me. LOL:

I guess i need to check on that...I have always done it. Never been pulled over before. I would think that if it is posted "no passing on shoulder" that in other places it is legal? Does anyone know the answer to this? It was one lane in each direction, solid white line on the outside, no curb, and the shoulder was paved....I did cross the white line to pass. FWIW I was thinking as I passed him that it didn't feel like the right thing to do! Guess I was right! I think that having my kids in the car helped. As I said...He was VERY NICE! VERY PROFESSIONAL! Thanks officer for not ruining my weekend!
Funny story for ya. My wife was stuck in traffic on I-84 and needed a restroom badly. She slipped down the side of the shoulder to go into the rest area. A truck pulled over the white line and scraped her. She was found to have caused the accident because it's illegal to cross the white line...????? Well, didn't the trucker also cross the white line in order to have hit her. We lost that one.

I did a little research...it totally depends on the state and the circumstance. I think in my case that it would have to be marked as LEGAL to pass for it to be ok...I think that by default it is NOT legal because I used the shoulder, and NYS doesn't consider the shoulder as part of the normally traveled roadway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back