Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes

ATI makes a full size 1911 designated .22 lr. Buds sells them for about $300. If yer looking for a combat style pistol for classroom, it don't get much more combat than that.

I use a Twisted Industries .22lr unit for the Keltec PF-9. Mine works fine, but Ive read where other guys had to do a fluff and buff to make theirs reliable. Still, .22's that small, mostly lack extractors (Beretta, Taurus), so I don't trust them, not even for training. Plus, they don't "feel" like the pocket 9's. the .22 unit does, albeit its a bit lighter than the 9, due to having an aluminum slide.

Hard trigger pull

I would check out the Taurus 9 shot revolver. A 4 inch barrel model would be really good for practice, and a lot of new shooters find the revolver less intimidating than the semi autos.

I have this revolver for student use. I don't like it because the trigger pull is so hard that most medium and small frame shooters just can't handle it. My gunsmith agreed and cut the spring a bit, and now I have occasional misfires due to the light trigger strike.

I have three Ruger Mark IIIs for student use. I hate them with a passion! They are probably great guns for the casual user, I do like their accuracy, but my three will only shoot the expensive CCI MiniMag ammo with any degree of reliability. All of them have been to the factory for repairs at least once in 2011, and with a 3 week turnaround time, this is very frustrating. I have trouble field stripping and reassembling these guns, so i take them to my gunsmith. When I sent the last one back to the factory for repairs, they charged me $75 because it had not been field stripped and reassembled properly. On a 1-10 scale, I rate the Mark IIIs as a 2 for a gun to use with students. Said all that to say this; good job not choosing it! :)
Link Removed

I also use a CZ Kadet, which is a full frame version of the CZ-75. It is much more reliable, but recently i have been getting some jams. It is currently my favorite .22 semi-auto. it has the standard CZ-75 grip, which is magically perfect for most right handed shooters.

I also use a Sig Mosquito, which students do not like. It is small, poorly balanced and jams frequently. I am sad that a great brand like Sig puts it out there.

This is a great thread, because I am searching for a good .22 semi-auto pistol that can handle 500+ rounds of cheap ammo daily, 7 days a week over my busy summer season. I would be willing to pay top dollar for a gun capable of this.

I have three Ruger Mark IIIs for student use. I hate them with a passion! They are probably great guns for the casual user, I do like their accuracy, but my three will only shoot the expensive CCI MiniMag ammo with any degree of reliability. All of them have been to the factory for repairs at least once in 2011, and with a 3 week turnaround time, this is very frustrating. I have trouble field stripping and reassembling these guns, so i take them to my gunsmith. When I sent the last one back to the factory for repairs, they charged me $75 because it had not been field stripped and reassembled properly. On a 1-10 scale, I rate the Mark IIIs as a 2 for a gun to use with students. Said all that to say this; good job not choosing it! :)
Link Removed

I also use a CZ Kadet, which is a full frame version of the CZ-75. It is much more reliable, but recently i have been getting some jams. It is currently my favorite .22 semi-auto. it has the standard CZ-75 grip, which is magically perfect for most right handed shooters.

I also use a Sig Mosquito, which students do not like. It is small, poorly balanced and jams frequently. I am sad that a great brand like Sig puts it out there.

This is a great thread, because I am searching for a good .22 semi-auto pistol that can handle 500+ rounds of cheap ammo daily, 7 days a week over my busy summer season. I would be willing to pay top dollar for a gun capable of this.

I use a Mosquito for training and I love it. I was getting constant failures until I took a dremel with a buffing pad and polished the feed ramp, rails, and the inside of the slide. I also noticed a burr on the mag feed lips which I sanded down. After these quick fixes it now runs fine on any ammo. Lately I've been running Remington Golden Bullet because it gives more recoil which better simnlates larger calibers. I'm not sure if you'll get through 500 rounds wihtout a cleaning though. I've gone up to about 200 with no issues but always cleaned it after that.....

Link Removed

I use the Beretta Neos. I do use Mini Mags, but they usually shoot any better ammo. No Thunderbolt junk.

On one Neos, I cleaned and lubed it before I shot it the first time, then I ran sever thousand rounds through it to see if it would stop. It did not and I now clean it an a regular schedule.

I use the Twisted Industries .22 conversion unit for the Keltec PF-9. Mine ran fine right out of the box, but I've read that others needed a fluff and buff before they were reliable. that is about par for the course for .22 conversions, of any type, in my experience. Some work, some don't, almost all can be MADE to work just fine, by somebody who knows how.

On the Taurus, your smith is a smuck, or you didn't pay him enough to do it right. He or you can shim up that mainspring, and make it stop misfiring. He or you can polish the lockwork and get rid of some of the effort of the DA pull, maybe trim a bit off of the trigger return spring, too.

Other than being pricy to start with, why not a Kimber 1911 ARF? Size of the 1911 but uses .22 in a light frame and slide.

I don't think they are available new anymore but the Smith & Wesson 422 is a sweet little firearm. Reminiscent of a slab side 1911 (well sort of)and it has excellent balance. I have the 4" model and it handles every ammo I've fed it. obviously the POI will be different for certain ammo but it's a real nice gun. Mine has the adjustable sights on it.

Other than being pricy to start with, why not a Kimber 1911 ARF? Size of the 1911 but uses .22 in a light frame and slide.

Not quite so pricey is the Browning 1911 .22. Local shop had one for about $535 if I remember correctly. It is about 85% the size of JMB's original and very light and it is made by Browning. It was designed as a .22, not a conversion.

I just may have to have one someday. It goes on my list.

I just got my wife a Walther p-22 for her first gun. She loves it. Its really comfy in the grip and low recoil. So for her having small hands its great, but fits my hands too. Shes a new shooter and has taken a huge intrest in it partly because of the p-22.

The P22 Walther is a great choice for a starter semi auto. The next step up for a lot of people for a CCW could be the Walther PK380 this weapon is the same size and style as the P22 and is modeled after the P22. I got a PK380 a few years ago to carry as a CCW and then got one for my wife. Both of these weapons have several hundred rounds of both factory and my hand loads through them with out a problem at all.

Yes I would train people and have trained people with the Walther as it has most of the things on it that will or might be found on larger bore pistol's .
Bill

Try the GSG 1911 in 22LR

We've been selling the GSG 1911 in .22LR like crazy these last few months. That's because we let people shoot ours with some "crappy" ammo and they LOVE IT. It's accurate, feals just like a 1911 should, and it eats practically any ammo, unlike the conversion kits I have for my Glock and Kimber. Heck, unlike all the other 22LR pistols I ever shot... here's some more "selling points", we've put a few thousand rounds of ammo through and only cleaned it twice... I'm telling you, this thing is the .22LR pistol to get...

i used a berretta model 21 in .22lr for teaching my kids & grandkids. found my best most reliable .22 to be a browning buckmark with a 3 inch barrel. since sold. now using my sig 1911-.22 for training, was a bit pricey, but got a good deal, prefer the 1911 style exclusivly now.

I find it depends on what you carry for a centerfire handgun. Way back, I used to carry an SP-101 .357, so I also bought an SP-101 .22 for practice. It is the same size, weight, and more importantly, the same grip as the .357. Makes for great training. But I also have a few semi-auto's to practice with as well: Buckmark, Ruger, Walther, since I carry various semi-autos now, too.

Steve

I'm surprised nobody had mentioned the Chiappa 1911-22. I got mine today and will take it to the range on Friday.Link RemovedPrice out the door was $312.

I'm surprised nobody had mentioned the Chiappa 1911-22. I got mine today and will take it to the range on Friday.Link RemovedPrice out the door was $312.

I'd like to request a thorough range report on that one. There's one for sale locally that I've been considering buying. (Possibly the only one in Massachusetts, since Chiappa isn't on the state's "approved handgun roster" here.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back