Going to My First Gun Show Today

indyyy

Indianapolis has a large gun show this weekend that kicks off today @ 2 pm est. It'll be the first gun show I go to - any idea on things to look for to get a bargain and / or things to watch out for to not get a lemon ?

All thoughts appreciated - thanks!

What are you planning on buying? Ammo? Guns? You can sometimes find great deals on accesories like belts and holsters. At least, thats what I have always found best to look for.

Good question. I have a 357 mag revolver and full size pistol. So, for guns I'll probably look for a medium size pistol or even a pocket pistol. On the other extreme a shotgun to add to HD arsenal. And ammo if I find good prices. And maybe a 22 rifle for my wife. She has arthritis and her x had her shoot a rifle years ago that gave her a good kick so she's afraid of the pain. She's kind of on the fence on ever shooting a gun again, so if I get a rifle that has like 0 recoil might be a start. So, I guess I'm mostly going to look and see if there's anything at a good price.

Don't plan on buying all of the above, maybe one gun and ammo at the most.

My first gun show... I bought coffee and jerky.

Don't bring a kid to a jerky stand where the sellers are bored. He will try EVERYTHING and then you will feel obligated to buy some. At least it was really good! :laugh:

well, I just ate pizza and the show starts in about 45 minutes so I won't get hungry while i'm there. And i'm going alone, so no kids to spend money on. I guess I'm all set then :help:

I'm thinking a 22 rifle wouldn't kick much and a local store has the marlin 795 on sale for $159 - maybe if someone at the show can beat that price. Well, the show opens in 45 minutes so I'm going to head out for it. This is the first day, so if there's alot of good stuff I can always go back tomorrow.

I should have posted this a couple days ago so more could have given me good advice :unsure:

We usually get a sample of the jerky. My kids usually find those booths that have really inexpensive knives or a box full of old knives for $1 each. They are usually crappy knives but I have not found a better way give that much enjoyment to my kids for only $1.

Indianapolis has a large gun show this weekend that kicks off today @ 2 pm est. It'll be the first gun show I go to - any idea on things to look for to get a bargain and / or things to watch out for to not get a lemon ?

All thoughts appreciated - thanks!

if you think that there are bargains to be found there you are already in trouble.

I've never purchased a gun at a gun show. I don't consider them bargain finds.

As for a 22 rifle with little/no recoil- how about a little ruger 10/22.

I would suggest a Marlin Model 60. Bass Pro has them for about 150.00. You'll probably not find one there. There are some deals to be had, but with your inexperience I would research to a few more shows and carry a smart phone. You can pull up prices up of comparable items you're looking to buy. Just MHO, good luck!

You guys were right about the guns - no bargains at the show. I've been looking at a Marlin 795 22lr rifle for my wife since they've been on sale at Dickies Sporting Goods for $159 - figure rifle will hurt her arthritis and fibro alot less than a handgun. I didn't buy one earlier because 22 ammo has been hard to get. Well, they had a 1400 round bucket of 22 lr ammo for $125 (8 cents per round) so I got that. Also got the 25 round magazine for the rifle (it comes with a 10 round mag). Got an extra 16 round mag for my S&W sd9ve, some speed loaders for revolver and pistol, and more ammo for my pistols.

Wife is willing to try the Marlin rifle and if she does ok with it will try a pistol down the road. If she doesn't like it, it should be fun shooting the 1400 rounds at targets for me, or if I get REAL hungry can shoot some rabbits and squirrels in my yard.

Also got a tactical flashlight - the ones that are blinding at night. And picked up a product magazine for reloading - maybe will learn to do that down the road.

What was funny - after getting the 22 ammo and 25 round magazine for the Marlin at the show, I went to Dickies to get the rifle and they were out, couldn't order one, and couldn't check if another store a little farther away had one. Came home, got on line and checked with the other Dickies Stores in town - luckily one store had two left and I ran out and got one - didn't wanna be stuck with 1400 rounds and no rifle lol.

Show was interesting and found some ammo a little less than what it costs online or at local storesand no tax or shipping, so all in all a good experience. Next time I'll buy some jerky and a $1 knife. I did tell the guy who was selling the jerky the jerky story and he got a kick out of it :sarcastic:

I have found some reasonable prices on guns at our local show. Show was the only place I could find the kel-tec sub2000 I was looking for.

Glad you got some good finds. I didn't look up what state/area you're from- but I know the ammo shortage is affecting 22lr the most. And $125 for 1400rds is still a lot better than the prices sellers were charging for them in the recent past.

I only buy a "brick" of 22 when they're around 5 cents a round. But I'm also a not very far drive from places like- cabelas, bass pro, gander mountain- and there's about 4-6 small LGS near me.

Go to Slickguns.com, go to "alerts" and put in keyword, rimfire and 22lr. So whenever a store has a big shipment (which is then posted by a customer)- you will be alerted of it. A lot of places allow you to pay for it online and then pick up in store. but regardless 8 cents a rd is always better than 24-26 cents a rd (for 9mm) when it comes to just wanting to have some fun while putting brass thru paper.

I'm in Indianapolis, In. Stores here haven't been selling 22 lr except for 100 rounds if you're buying a rifle with it and even the it's been 10 cents a round. I'll take your suggestion about Slickguns.com's alerts - Thanks.

Opened at 2pm? Sure you did not take in a matinee? Lol.

For a normal sized show of 100 tables or less, I walk the whole show once to see what is available and the prices. Something has to be pretty high on my radar or a great price to buy it first time through.

Second trip through, I just hit tables with things I am interested in.

I try to purchase something at every show so I dont feel like I am wasting my time.

Join The NRA To Support The 2nd Amendment & Shooting Clubs To Develop Skills

Opened at 2pm? Sure you did not take in a matinee? Lol.

The 2 pm open was hard for me to believe too - I guess everyone in Indy has a job except those of us who were forced to retire because they couldn't find one .:no: Those were the hours tho - Fri 2-8, Sat 8-6, sun 8-4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back