Glock vs. XDm vs. M&P Grip Angles

Andrew17

I'm looking at buying either the XDm 3.8 9mm compact or the S&W M&P Compact 9. I have compared all of their notable features and have decided that it's down to grip angle. (aka, when I point the gun eyes closed then open my eyes, where will the sights be?) When I point a Glock eyes closed and then open my eyes, it almost always is pointed right where I want it to be. I haven't had the chance to go in and test this because they haven't had either of these weapons at my local gun shop. Does anyone have any experience with this test and can you please provide your opinion?

I'm looking at buying either the XDm 3.8 9mm compact or the S&W M&P Compact 9. I have compared all of their notable features and have decided that it's down to grip angle. (aka, when I point the gun eyes closed then open my eyes, where will the sights be?) When I point a Glock eyes closed and then open my eyes, it almost always is pointed right where I want it to be. I haven't had the chance to go in and test this because they haven't had either of these weapons at my local gun shop. Does anyone have any experience with this test and can you please provide your opinion?

The M&P is a great firearm, I own and carry and fullsize M&P 9. The angle of the grip feels great in my hand, and when Smith made the M&P, they made the angle so it would try to feel the most natural in your hand. As for your test, I just tried it, my front site was down.

IMO, your test is irrelevant for buying a firearm, most people look down the sights to see how the sight radius would be, or how much faster than can acquire a sight picture with one gun over the other. No disrespect, but your test proves you can aim a Glock with your eyes closed. As for me, I acquire my sight picture with my eyes open (To me that's the way it was meant to be done, and it's safer).

Now if you talking about acquiring a sight picture with your eyes open first, then closing them, then re-opening them to see if your still on target, that's a whole different story.

The relevance of the test is to find out if the weapon points instinctively on-target. I tested this with the Glock and a S&W M4516 while unloaded at a gun range, so safety wasn't an issue. My results showed that my natural grip is more in favor of the Glock and XDm grip angles, making quick target acquisition a possibility in an emergency situation when you don't want to have to think about adjusting your sight picture any more than you need to.

Contrary to the opinion of some, the closed eye test is a good indication whether the gun fits your hand and physicality of your arm. I had a G33 for a long period of time as my EDC. I had to practice a lot to stay proficient with it especially with rapid target acquisition. I had the same issue with a Taurus 92 I had as an EDC. I was at a new (to me) local shop and got into a discussion with one of the guys on the firing line after finishing up. He told me of his experience, which was the same as mine. He was the one that told me about the closed eye test and suggested I shop for a comfortable gun with a natural point.

Fortunately the shops I attend have several rentals available and I followed his advise and handled/shot several pistols until I came up with one that fit me. I now carry the XD40 because of the natural point it has in MY hand. It is comfortable and when I draw it up, it is like pointing a finger. Very natural.

What fits my hand won't necessarily fit your hand. My advise, for what it is worth, would be find a couple of makes and models that 'fit' nicely, then decide from the list on the one(s) that function the best for you.

After all, the decision of what you EDC is yours and yours alone. It would be best, IMHO, that you are completely comfortable with it. Good luck with your decision. Let us know how it turns out.

Well said, walt629. That's why everybody likes Luger's, their natural pointability.

Shoot all three before you buy. I have the G-19 and XDm in 3.8 in .45 The .45 is spot on.
I can pick up the G19 and do the same but the angle is definitely different. I have not shot the XDm in 9mm. But of the Glock and XDm; the Glock is in the safe. YMMV.

XDM's are no fun to clean as are many of the other 1911 take offs. Go with Glock and live. Very light, accurate,dependable and easy to clean too. I have many pistols that I can carry but the creme de creme of them for ccw is a Glock, when it comes to a show case showdown with big fire power spitting lots of bullets fast and on target. Maybe that's why my-self, my son and daughter and most all government people carry them. If any one handgun will bring you out on the other side, the Glock will, if you know how to use it. The Glock is perfection. Good Luck. From Bryan All American

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back