Glock slide discoloration with carry

BUmmedic

Carry a G19 gen 4 IWB in an alien gear holster. Recently, took notice of some slide discoloration on the front left part of the slide that comes into contact/rubs with the leather holster backing, and the rear right of the slide that contacts/rubs against whatever layer I'm wearing over it. Takes the matte gray/black finish and makes it more of a copper tone. If I rub over the areas with with my finger, or take some lubricating oil and clean and wipe the slide, it goes back to the normal color. Is it just from some of the retained oil in the metal being absorbed by surface contact? Does this do any damage to the underlying finish or metal? Should I make it a point to cleans and rub it down more regularly? May be hard to tell from pics, but I tried to get the best ones I could to show it. In the right lighting, there really is a big aesthetic difference.

Link Removed

Link Removed

I understand how you might feel about your G19 because I have a couple of guns in the safe ... my "safe queens" .... that I would be very annoyed if they so much as got a speck of dust on them. Should have seen my face when I put an extremely small ding in the stock of my Anschutz rifle! Woe is me!!!

But wear and tear are to be expected for an everyday gun... and my G26 is my everyday gun and is showing similar signs of wear. But I'm not concerned because superficial external wear doesn't affect internal reliability.

What you're seeing is normal holster wear. The slide should be stainless and it's just the finish showing wear from friction on the holster.
My G22, and SIG229 both have this kind of wear and they're the ones I carry most often.

I hated that first ding I got in a parking lot with my new truck. And I park out in bfh just so nobody will whack my vehicle. After a couple of yrs I can relax. I mean, it's a freakin truck. Wear = badge of honor of usefulness.

Same for your glock.

As a ex LEO my gun duty had a lot of ware. Its a tool tools will show ware leave it in the case but this may not keep you safe just keep it clean and oiled external ware is to be expected with used

Last edited:
Normal holster ware, absolutely nothing to worry about, will not affect the gun in any way, I have seen some police trade ins that look absolutely nasty, but shoot perfectly

I know it's not a functional thing, and I have no hesitation that it will go bang if and when I need it to. Is it normal to be able to restore the unworn look with just a wipe down and light oil? I can make it look brand new in about 20 seconds. I would think that wear would be a little more permanent and still show despite efforts to "wipe it away."

You can avoid this by purchasing your glock with a stainless finish....oh wait they only come in black NVM :)

You can avoid this by purchasing your glock with a stainless finish....oh wait they only come in black NVM :)
Yeah, they found a way to give you a rustproof finish without stainless steel, that's lighter and less expensive. Really terrible of them to improve a firearm like that, huh? I have stainless steel guns, one that I used to regularly carry. Guess what. They eventually show holster wear too, just like non-stainless guns do. I still love my stainless 45, but I very much appreciate the fact that my Glocks are lighter because they aren't stainless steel.

BU, what are you? Some kinda sissy!? Who cares if the finish is worn or discolored? Geesh! Glock people!

Bwahahaha! Just kidding, man.

I'd say it's just normal holster wear that may be taking a very small amount of the finish off at a time and when you wipe it down, you're wiping the small amount of finish off that smeared... so it goes back to looking normal. That is, until you wear it some more. Do you use any Draw-Ease or have oil on the outside of the pistol that could be on the holster? Perhaps it is the coloration from the oil, holster and pistol all blending together...?

I know it's not a functional thing, and I have no hesitation that it will go bang if and when I need it to. Is it normal to be able to restore the unworn look with just a wipe down and light oil? I can make it look brand new in about 20 seconds. I would think that wear would be a little more permanent and still show despite efforts to "wipe it away."

The fact that the appearance of wear returns suggests it is permanent and the coat of oil simply hides it. Purely cosmetic.

Thats why I stick with Gen3 GLOCKS! The Orange peel type finish shows no signs of holster wear! Frog Lube it and it might help a little

Sent from my LG-MS770 using USA Carry mobile app

Looks to me more like the oil you have applied is being leached from the slide by the leather. I noticed same issue on a couple of mine. I tried Otis Dry lube to protect from moisture and found its use also helped with the discoloration of the slide. I also noticed a big decrease in lint when IWB.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Carry a G19 gen 4 IWB in an alien gear holster. Recently, took notice of some slide discoloration on the front left part of the slide that comes into contact/rubs with the leather holster backing, and the rear right of the slide that contacts/rubs against whatever layer I'm wearing over it. Takes the matte gray/black finish and makes it more of a copper tone. If I rub over the areas with with my finger, or take some lubricating oil and clean and wipe the slide, it goes back to the normal color. Is it just from some of the retained oil in the metal being absorbed by surface contact? Does this do any damage to the underlying finish or metal? Should I make it a point to cleans and rub it down more regularly? May be hard to tell from pics, but I tried to get the best ones I could to show it. In the right lighting, there really is a big aesthetic difference.

The oils in the leather are leaving a mark on the outside of the gun. When you clean the gun with a rag, the "discoloration" is gone. The reason: it's not discolored. It's just the leather holster. I noticed this when I started to use a leather holster with my Glock.

Glock is replacing all of the Kentucky State Police Gen 4's because of the finish coming off most of their guns. They have a problem with some of their new guns but all of them are being replaced and sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BU, what are you? Some kinda sissy!? Who cares if the finish is worn or discolored? Geesh! Glock people!

Did someone just call me a sissy?!?! Ha ha! I just wanted to get people's opinions, but I assure you I am not under any other impression about the fact that my firearm is a tool... however, can you blame me that I want it to keep looking good, too?

Did someone just call me a sissy?!?! Ha ha! I just wanted to get people's opinions, but I assure you I am not under any other impression about the fact that my firearm is a tool... however, can you blame me that I want it to keep looking good, too?

I agree with u!! They are also investsments!!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back