Glock 30 stiff mag

jordigan

I have an issue and I'm just gonna throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced this and can possibly give feedback. I bought a Glock 30sf a few months back and I have only been to the range four or five times with it. The first time to the range I had two light primer strikes. Each with a different brand of defense ammunition, so bad primers is ruled out, unless it's a huge coincidence. So I figured my slide was out of battery both times and figure it just needs to be worked in. This last time I pulled it out of my CC holster, I tried to eject the chambered round just to see how hard it would be (with a full 10 in the magazine) knowing that the magazines on g30's are notoriously stiff. I absolutely can not eject the chambered round with 10 in the mag. I know it will chamber properly when shooting 10 +1 because it does at the range. My only concern would be if I had to use it at some point and get a light primer strike and end up having to eject the round and not being able to. So, I carry 9 +1 now. Sorry for the long winded post, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem, even if with a different gun, and if anyone may have a solution?

Sent from my SM-N900P using USA Carry mobile app

A few diagnostic questions:

• Did you buy the gun new or used?
  • With a loaded 10-round magazine, can you still push the top round a little bit down?
  • Are you sure that you have the 10-round magazine (with the pinky extension) and not the flush 9-round magazine?
  • Does this happen with all of your magazines or with just one?
In general, you should be able to manually cycle a fully-loaded Glock.

I have an issue and I'm just gonna throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced this and can possibly give feedback. I bought a Glock 30sf a few months back and I have only been to the range four or five times with it. The first time to the range I had two light primer strikes. Each with a different brand of defense ammunition, so bad primers is ruled out, unless it's a huge coincidence. So I figured my slide was out of battery both times and figure it just needs to be worked in. This last time I pulled it out of my CC holster, I tried to eject the chambered round just to see how hard it would be (with a full 10 in the magazine) knowing that the magazines on g30's are notoriously stiff. I absolutely can not eject the chambered round with 10 in the mag. I know it will chamber properly when shooting 10 +1 because it does at the range. My only concern would be if I had to use it at some point and get a light primer strike and end up having to eject the round and not being able to. So, I carry 9 +1 now. Sorry for the long winded post, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem, even if with a different gun, and if anyone may have a solution?

A few diagnostic questions:

• Did you buy the gun new or used?
  • With a loaded 10-round magazine, can you still push the top round a little bit down?
  • Are you sure that you have the 10-round magazine (with the pinky extension) and not the flush 9-round magazine?
  • Does this happen with all of your magazines or with just one?
In general, you should be able to manually cycle a fully-loaded Glock.

Thanks for the quick reply. To answer your questions:

*Bought it brand new.
*Yes, I can still push it down slightly.
*Yes, I'm 100% sure I have the 10 round mags.
*Yes, it happens with both mags (just tried it).

When I have only 9+1 I can rack the slide just fine and I guess it's not too big of a deal to carry it with 9+1. It just sucks that it's true potential is 10+1 but it's so damn stiff that I can't even rack the slide.

Also, I have fairly strong hands, so I know it's not just a matter of not trying hard enough. I can tell that the magazine is so stiff it tries to shove the next round up into the chamber before the chambered round is even close to being ejected.

Sorry for reposting, I just realized I can do a "quick reply."

Contact Glock USA customer service and ask them.

My guess is that the springs are just too stiff initially and may need some break in. Keep the magazines loaded at all times. Go to the range and keep running the gun with target ammo. Exercise both magazines.

I emptied out my personal defense ammo (Gold Dot 200 grain +p) and tried this again with a different brand of ammo (Golden Saber 185 grain +p) and with that particular ammo I can eject the round with a full 10 in the magazine. My only guess is perhaps the finish on the brass may be different from one brand to the next, and it could cause more friction. Of course, the problem is still the extremely stiff mags, but some ammo responds better than others I guess.

I emptied out my personal defense ammo (Gold Dot 200 grain +p) and tried this again with a different brand of ammo (Golden Saber 185 grain +p) and with that particular ammo I can eject the round with a full 10 in the magazine. My only guess is perhaps the finish on the brass may be different from one brand to the next, and it could cause more friction. Of course, the problem is still the extremely stiff mags, but some ammo responds better than others I guess.

Have you exercised the magazines by shooting target ammo through the gun? Magazine springs wear with compression/decompression. Also, you may want to take the magazines apart and clean them.

Yes but I've only been to the range about 9 or 10 times, probably not even 1000 rounds through it. But I found out what the problem is, it's me. I just haven't been racking the slide fast enough. This isn't an issue with my g26 since the mags aren't so damn stiff, so I can pretty easily and slowly eject the chambered round with a full 10 in the mag. But with the g30 mags being so stiff I have to rack the slide extremely fast, so as not to give the next round in the mag any time to spring up and put tension on the round I'm trying to eject (duh, that's how is designed to work). So there it is. Pretty embarrassing, but a simple solution to a problem I caused in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back