Glock 27 versus XDS

hotrod26

I am considering selling my G27 and buying a XDS either in 9 or 45 what are the pros and cons of the XDS over the G27?

I've never shot the G27 but I do have a XDs and I guess I can say the numbers count, I just got my XDs .45 back a few weeks ago and before I put it back in my rotation I will have to shoot it some more. The first time I shot it after coming back from the factory it didn't do so well but I will say that it was the ammo, I hope. I have about 400 more rounds to go before I will put it back in the rotation but we will see. I love my XDs .45 it hide very well I have a six round mag in the gun and have a extra seven round on the belts but if it don't preform like I want to I will the trading it for something.

Just received my XD-S .45 back a bit ago also. It had a slightly heavier trigger pull, but was glass smooth to break. I didn't like the trigger much before the modifications. I'm pulling low a few inches because of the heavier pull. That is me, and will take some dry-firing and range time to correct.

My XD-S has been flawless, after around 1300 rounds put through it. I used Winchester White Box 230 gr. ball ammo at the range(s), and Winchester 230 gr. Ranger-T for carry.

I did have one off center primer strike because the sidearm was out of battery once. It was my fault. I had sent a few hundred rounds downrange and I almost dropped the gun the previous round, as my grip was dangerously fatigued. I realized instantly what happened when the gun went click and silence.
Held it downrange for about 30 seconds, ejected the round and finished the magazine. I later put the round in another mag and of course it fired.

Here's the deal with the XD-S .45:

It is a bulldog. You rack it like a man, because it has a really stout recoil spring set. Treat it like a man, and it won't fail you. Grip it as high as you can without getting slide bite to get closer to the bore axis, and the recoil is a hard push, not a muzzle flipping, snappy affair like some .40 cal. hardware. If the 9mm XD-S had been available in January, I would have bought it as the ammo is cheaper, and you get two more rounds on board. The frame size was exactly what I was looking for, and I looked a long time and rented many small frame sidearms before I made my choice for CC. The S&W shield lost because it had a manual safety. The Glock lost because I couldn't come to "grips" with the grip.

The XD-S .45 is a 5+1 round count. I usually wear a small two hole mag pouch, with a 7-rounder as the first mag (got it free with the upgrade) and a 5-rounder in the second slot. 18 rounds. I have an identical pouch I wear when I'm feelin' froggy, so have 2 5-round mags in it too. 28 rounds.

I've put meprolight tritium night sights (orange rears, green front) on it, and use a quick detach light on its rail.

Two things you give-up with the XD-S. The short 3.3 inch barrel isn't a long range piece of hardware. It is a single stack design in a small frame, so you give up a lot of round capacity for its concealment advantage. If you're used to double stack mags, you will be aware the grip is very narrow. The gun at its widest point on the slide is an inch or slightly less.

I prefer to carry OWB in my Nate's Custom Holsters belt carry. If it's warm out and I can't wear much, I use the Nate Squared (no relation to Nate's Custom Holsters) Pro IWB.

The 9mm XD-S is a few ounces heavier than the .45 because of the smaller bore. More meat on the barrel around the bore. I've not fired the 9mm XD-S, but presume after becoming one with my .45, the recoil would feel less harsh. If I had the 9, I'd probably use +P ammo in it. I use standard pressure .45 rounds in my carry sidearm. Tried the +P Ranger-Ts, and they were harsh. Couldn't get back on target as fast, and the ballistic performance wasn't that much better than standard pressure rounds.

If you decide on an XD-S, make sure there is a roll pin visible going through the grip safety. It is the only way to tell if you have a sidearm that has been upgraded with the new sear and other trigger group parts, without disassembling it.

Well, I don't know if that will help or hinder your quest. It all boils down to your wants and needs. Good luck!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back