Glock 27 owners...I need your knowledge!

I have never owned or shot a handgun before. My dad taught me to shoot a shotgun when I was young (we won't mention how long ago that was ;)) and that's the extent of my gun knowledge, so please bear with me. I have just purchased a Glock 27 for self defense (still under 5 day waiting period) and I can not wait to get my hands on it! That being said, 1.) I want to know if I can use Federal Hydra-Shok JHP in this gun. 2.) If not, what ammo would you recommend for this gun. And 3.) How does the Glock 27 rate to other guns you own or have shot?

Thanks for the help!

I have a G26,9mm and a G27 40. The G27 is my full time carry. I Have yet to find any brand mane ammunition that any of my Glocks did not like, especially Federal. I shoot 180 JHP. You will love your G27. The next one you will be looking at is the G23.

I have a g23 which is the subcompact version of that gun. I carry 180 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow-Points but only because I couldnt find 165 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollowpoints. IMHO when you compare Speer Gold Dot Hollow points and Hydrashocks is basically apple to apples. They both are going to knock and intruder on their butts. Where I live in Norfolk they carry the 23 with Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints. From what I hear from the guys that work at Bobs where I bought my gun they just said that Hydrashocks were old technology, but if it aint broke dont fix it. I heard that Winchester is coming out with some new fused ammo, but dont know what it is, but heard its supposed to be amazing. In the end either one you choose will do the job more than effectively for home defense or daily carry. I chose mine because its what the police carry.
Welcome to the Glock family my friend! :pleasantry:
Tony

My G27 eats anything you put in it. But my carry round is the Speer Gold Dot "short barrel" load. If those aren't available, I'd go with the 155 grain Gold Dot.

I would not be in such a hurry to start concealing until you get alot of practice in. And you need to take a safety class or concealed carry course. There are many courses out there to choose from.

The more you read on, the more you're going to learn. You need more than just a gun and ammo to carry. Training, holsters, gun belts, magazines, and mag pouches, flashlight, practice ammo, carry ammo, cleaning supplies, gun safe (one for vehicle also), are some of the things you'll need to get started.

As for the ammo, try as many quality loads as you can possibly afford. Don't just take our opinion on it. You are more than capable of firing the Glock 27 and handling the recoil. Proper shooting techniques, and mastering the fundamentals will pay dividends in the end.

Buy hundreds of cheap Winchester White Box ammo and practice-practice-practice. Also buy four boxes of Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP. Shoot three of the boxes to make sure gun feeds them well and you know where they hit (POI) then load up for CCW or personal carry. The practice is the most important part. Shoot so much that all your actions from presentation to firing is second nature. Oh and most important, get some snap caps and practice dry firing at home, instinctive draw and point. This is great practice and also smooths the trigger.:biggrin:

I would not be in such a hurry to start concealing until you get alot of practice in. And you need to take a safety class or concealed carry course. There are many courses out there to choose from.

The more you read on, the more you're going to learn. You need more than just a gun and ammo to carry. Training, holsters, gun belts, magazines, and mag pouches, flashlight, practice ammo, carry ammo, cleaning supplies, gun safe (one for vehicle also), are some of the things you'll need to get started.

As for the ammo, try as many quality loads as you can possibly afford. Don't just take our opinion on it. You are more than capable of firing the Glock 27 and handling the recoil. Proper shooting techniques, and mastering the fundamentals will pay dividends in the end.

2nd....all in favor? Aye.

Had a Kahr, traded that (as quick as I could find anyone to take it) for a Glock 27 that has been flawless since day 1. :yu:

Tricked it out with LaserMax internal Guide Rod laser, also got a 9mm extended ported conversion barrel and liked it so much I went ahead and changed the extractor and ejector and spring loaded bearing to the Glock 26 ones, so it's a 9mm Glock 27 now .... and pretty..... Next, I'm putting Advantage Tactical Sights on her :girl_wink:

I've had all types of ammo all work, but I believe the lighter the bullet headed out, the less the gun pushes back (equal and opposite reaction, if all other things are equal). But that varies with the powder charge/pressure too.... a +P will kick more, so a +P 150 grain might kick as much or more than a lowered pressure 180 grain .... I dunno... As far as muzzle rise, I dunno, MINE'S PORTED lol

Go to Georga Arms and buy their Gold Dot +Ps. The cost is so low that you can shoot paper with the same bullet that you carry. I picked up 1000 for less than $500. That included shipping. Works out to less than$20 a box of 50. Get out and shoot.

I have never owned or shot a handgun before. My dad taught me to shoot a shotgun when I was young (we won't mention how long ago that was ;)) and that's the extent of my gun knowledge, so please bear with me. I have just purchased a Glock 27 for self defense (still under 5 day waiting period) and I can not wait to get my hands on it! That being said, 1.) I want to know if I can use Federal Hydra-Shok JHP in this gun. 2.) If not, what ammo would you recommend for this gun. And 3.) How does the Glock 27 rate to other guns you own or have shot?

Thanks for the help!

The G-27 would probably not be my first choice for a CCW, but it is a excelant weapon I have one with peirce pinky things as my wife calls them, also have crimson trace laser guard on it, the reason I said that about it not my first choice is because it does have a fairly stout recoil, much more than ether of my 9mms also a bit more than my 45, but it is a nice shooting weapon once you get used to it, as far as ammo it will fire and cycle just about anything you feed it, some certain types of rounds other guns screw up with the glock pops them right off no problem, if you plan to do the range a lot, get some cheap FMJ at Wally World, I keep my 9s, 40, and 45 loaded with Hornady personal defense,

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back