glock 21

Arh75

I am buying my first glock and it's a model 21 .45 now before I go get it this weekend I want to know if anyone has this gun and any pros/cons or opinions thank you in advance.

The 21 is a great weapon the only negative thing is the price of the ammo. I have a few Glock weapons such as the 17, 26, 21, 37, and the 27 so buy with no hesitation or remorse. So enjoy and be safe

Outstanding choice! You will never regret the purchase. When you get it, you'll be tempted to clean it due to the dab of thick grease Glock puts on the rails. That is actually a polishing compound, meant to "mate" the surfaces through the act of being fired the first few hundred times. So fire it plenty before you clean it. After that, keep it clean and DRY. There are no parts on a Glock that will rust, they are designed to operate without lubricant. Clean and dry. Then someday, if you like, you might consider replacing the plastic sights with metal ones. The plastic sights are too easily damaged, and I've never been fond of the "U" shaped white line on the rear sight.

Welcome to the Glock family!

(P.S. For all of you out there thinking 'I'm never going to damage my sights, what's this idiot thinking?' I say, 'You obviously aren't training enough!')

I completely agree with the chance of dancing the plastic sites that is the first thing I change to my Glocks that is the one thing I dislike about my babies are cheap sites put on by the factory.

Any 45 that my wife likes to shoot has to be a good gun! I have three 45s and it's the only one she likes to shoot.

Make sure you go hold one first. The G21 SF would probably be a much better choice unless you have HUGE hands. If you get an SF I recommend the version with a standard mag release not the Ambi one. There have been problems with it and the spring is too heavy. I have a G20 (10mm same frame as G21) and a G21 SF, my hands are large but not HUGE. Even with the SF I have to alter my grip slightly to do a mag change which is not optimum. I love the 45 ACP (I'll always shoot them) but it makes for a big Glock. Excellent brand choice- most reliable handgun made but if you have normal size hands and want a large caliber in a Glock consider the Smaller frame G35,G22 or G23. You can get all your fingers on all 3 models and the 40 is potent. It's all about shot placement anyway.:)

Do not let this sway you but if you reload and like to use semi-wadcutter bullets the G21 will not feed them. Everything I'm telling you I know 1st hand and I've tested them extensively. I determined that the reason the Glocks won't work with SWC bullets is part of the reason they're so reliable with smooth sided bullets- the round is picked up so high in the gun that when the slide comes back with the spent case it does not want to eject right because it catches on the ridge of the SWC bullet. They feed flawlessly with all bullets that don't have a ridge on the outside.
MW

I have a G21 and love it. Zero issues with this gun. I find that the most accurate ammo through my gun is the winchester 230gr jhp. I have a cleveland IWB holster and this is my favorite hand gun to date.

Anyone think the Springfield Armory's XDM45 would be a good choice for smaller hands, if one wishes to remain in the .45 full size with the high mag capacity and out of the box reliability?

I'm a glock fan through and through and own/carry several. However, I also have an XDM40 that I love AND it's from an American company to boot! Seems the XD line may rival Glock in the reliability arena...

Thoughts?

Anyone think the Springfield Armory's XDM45 would be a good choice for smaller hands, if one wishes to remain in the .45 full size with the high mag capacity and out of the box reliability?

I'm a glock fan through and through and own/carry several. However, I also have an XDM40 that I love AND it's from an American company to boot! Seems the XD line may rival Glock in the reliability arena...

Thoughts?

The XD's are great guns and better suited to smaller hands. I've owned and competed with them before I went to Glocks. They have a better grip angle and they're almost as reliable as a Glock. They ran great for me but I could not get used to the extra long trigger reset. I sent 2 of them to Canyon Creek Custom and had him do the triggers. When I got them back they had about half the reset distance as stock and he does excellent work but I still ran into problems in matches so I started shooting Glocks which have 1/2 the reset as a tuned XD right out of the box..
That is just me, I cut my teeth on 1911's and I'm spoiled by the trigger. If you're used to a revolver or are accustomed to (you should be) coming ALL the way off the trigger for each shot then the XD may be a great choice for you. Springfield claims the XDm has a much better trigger but I can see very little difference.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm heading out to get my flock now and then to the range...I will post my results and feelings after!

Arh75:236196 said:
Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm heading out to get my flock now and then to the range...I will post my results and feelings after!

Good on'ya, Mate! Never gotten my hands on a Flock before, let us know how it handles! LOL seriously, excellent choice. Enjoy the comfort and security in knowing that you have a 99.9% reliable, dependable, safe action weapon that will stand by you for years to come.

Well, I have returned from my day of excitement.I arrived at the gun shop and there is my fav sales guy waiting on me to get the gun, he sees me and says with a grin on his face"So you're finally going to get a real gun and not one of those Kimbers or Smith and Wesson 1911's you always buy" LOL I said shut up and laughed, he got the gun out and I took a few min to handle and get the feel of it. Now at first I must say it was big in my hands(thats what all the girls say to me) lol , anyway the grip was larger but after a bit I got a good feel for it. He did bring out the G30 just so I could try the smaller frame but that was to small for me. So I did all my paperwork loaded up on the two free boxes of ammo, (Glock only purchase to get free ammo) plus the boxes I had in the truck.And added a blackhawk holster, paid and went to the range.Get to the range and set up my target and what not, load up and the first few mags were the"getting use to the gun" but after that and around 300 rounds I say with no question in my mind the Glock 21 is one of if not the most accurate and smoothest guns I have ever owned. Not one single jam or (stovepipe).I have no issue with the grip anymore it feels perfect. I must admit I am one happy Glock owner, and glad to be in the family!

Arh75:236301 said:
Well, I have returned from my day of excitement.I arrived at the gun shop and there is my fav sales guy waiting on me to get the gun, he sees me and says with a grin on his face"So you're finally going to get a real gun and not one of those Kimbers or Smith and Wesson 1911's you always buy" LOL I said shut up and laughed, he got the gun out and I took a few min to handle and get the feel of it. Now at first I must say it was big in my hands(thats what all the girls say to me) lol , anyway the grip was larger but after a bit I got a good feel for it. He did bring out the G30 just so I could try the smaller frame but that was to small for me. So I did all my paperwork loaded up on the two free boxes of ammo, (Glock only purchase to get free ammo) plus the boxes I had in the truck.And added a blackhawk holster, paid and went to the range.Get to the range and set up my target and what not, load up and the first few mags were the"getting use to the gun" but after that and around 300 rounds I say with no question in my mind the Glock 21 is one of if not the most accurate and smoothest guns I have ever owned. Not one single jam or (stovepipe).I have no issue with the grip anymore it feels perfect. I must admit I am one happy Glock owner, and glad to be in the family!

You hear that? That's the sound of a 1911 owner getting his wings! Ah...it does my heart good. Supremely glad for you and your family.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back