Getting Fl permit

OZZ

Hope I did not miss the info somewhere in here, but I did look :)

I have all the paperwork now to get my FL permit(I can't drive thru Ohio with Indiana's LTCH, since they don't like to honor ours...) so I decided to get a out of state one from FL. I have a DD214 from the military, so thats my training met.
What I am not sure of is the finger printing. I got the card, but does the sheriff have to do it and do they send it back? Or can I have like L1(where we get the electronic fingerprints done in Indiana) to do it?
I just hate spreading my gun all over my truck when I drive thru Ohio, and half the time, I might only be driving thru it for 20 mins... but stopped once and caught, well not worth the risk...old age I guess....

Thanks in advance!

It's been a while since I applied for my Florida permit.

Like you, I met the training requirement with a DD214. I simply went to my local county sheriff's office and had my prints done electronically. They gave me the print card (after a $10 charge) and I simply mailed it in with the rest of my paperwork...application, photo, DD214, etc.

Hope I did not miss the info somewhere in here, but I did look :)

I have all the paperwork now to get my FL permit(I can't drive thru Ohio with Indiana's LTCH, since they don't like to honor ours...) so I decided to get a out of state one from FL. I have a DD214 from the military, so thats my training met.
What I am not sure of is the finger printing. I got the card, but does the sheriff have to do it and do they send it back? Or can I have like L1(where we get the electronic fingerprints done in Indiana) to do it?
I just hate spreading my gun all over my truck when I drive thru Ohio, and half the time, I might only be driving thru it for 20 mins... but stopped once and caught, well not worth the risk...old age I guess....

Thanks in advance!

FL requires printing to be done by an LEA. If you get the prints done by LEO electronically in IN they have to print them on a card. they can NOT be transferred to FL electronically. IF you sheriff does the card for you, you will submit the card with the app.

Alternatively, since you haven't submitted it yet....you could look into an Arizona permit. They don't care who does the prints....your DD214 still suffices...reciprocity is almost identical to FL and is about half the cost at $60.

I thought to get the AZ permit you had to take a hand gun course? I just went with FL since everyone said it was easier and no training, while they kept saying AZ required training... hmmmmm maybe I better read up a bit more ...

I have the print card, but the sheriff here uses the L1 electronic fingerprints( a private company), they probably do ink for everything else, like criminals :)

Still bugs me why FL won't take my electronic prints when they are quicker and safer.. well to me :)

thanks!!!

I thought to get the AZ permit you had to take a hand gun course? I just went with FL since everyone said it was easier and no training, while they kept saying AZ required training... hmmmmm maybe I better read up a bit more ...

I

FL and AZ have about the same training requirements:

AZ 13-3112

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

For some reason I never saw that or heard about, most of the forums just talk about taking the AZ course from someone who is teaching it, they never mention the military info.
I sent them and email to get their paperwork, since I did not find any on the site to fill out... So if I get their paperwork, thats the way I will go.... no more Ohio problem !!!

thanks!!

Got my AZ permit paperwork today, so now I just fill it out and do 2 fingerprint cards and send it in...

Thanks for all the extra Info!!!!

Got busy and lost a few days,ok old age means you lose a lot of days :wacko:
I have been trying to talk to L1 to see if they will do the fingerprinting. So far I have made 3 calls and waited 30 mins plus each time,:angry: so I hang up. Can't find a local number to call, but when you read what they do and don't do, its a bit confusing(yes to old people :laugh: )

Does anyone know if L1 will do the fingerprinting?

Sorry to drag this out;;;;;

When I did my Utah permit, I went to the local police to get my prints done. Same guys who did the prints for my Indiana permit. Cost me five dollars, but talking to some of the people that took the class with me and had theirs done by the guy giving the class, I'm glad I had the cops do it. Some of those guys had sixty days to get theirs REDONE or loose their Utah permits!:fie:

Hmm around here they send you to L1 to have prints done.. I think they did they could do them, but it would add a few weeks to get your LTCH ... But that was for IN, and let me get my LTCH in 5 days! Guess if I can't get though to L1 today or tormorrow, I will call the sheriff...

thanks !

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back