Georgian With Weapon in South Carolina?

SmokinLawyer

I have a Georgia Weapons Carry Permit. I periodically travel to North Carolina via South Carolina. From reviewing South Carolina's laws I understand I can have a loaded firearm in my vehicle in a glove compartment, console or the trunk while traveling. I don't routinely overnite in SC but, if that should happen, I see no way to legally get the weapon, loaded or otherwise, to/from my motel room, nor any way for me to legally possess the weapon in the motel room, unless the rented room is considered my home.

Can anyone shed light on this? It would seem to be much more objectionable from a law enforcement standpoint to require that firearms be left overnight in an unattended auto out in the parking lot.

In SC you do not have to have a CWP in order to carry a handgun from your vehicle to your home, business or a place that you are renting to stay the night. I am thinking that would apply to anyone whether you live here or not. Then again, I could be wrong so it would be best to look at the carry laws for SC before making a decision. Hopefully someone that has a link will chime in here and set the record straight.

I know its long but this is from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) website. This should help with any ? you may have. Look particularly at paragraphs 8,9 and 10

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor’s constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one’s residence or changing or moving one’s fixed place of business;

(11) a prison guard while engaged in his official duties;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee’s person and a location specified in item (9);

(13) the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of a fixed place of business, while at the fixed place of business, and the employee of a fixed place of business, other than a business subject to Section 16-23-465, while at the place of business; however, the employee may exercise this privilege only after: (a) acquiring a permit pursuant to item (12), and (b) obtaining the permission of the owner or person in legal control or legal possession of the premises;

(14) a person engaged in firearms related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);

(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.

See SC SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.

Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.

I have a Georgia Weapons Carry Permit. I periodically travel to North Carolina via South Carolina. From reviewing South Carolina's laws I understand I can have a loaded firearm in my vehicle in a glove compartment, console or the trunk while traveling. I don't routinely overnite in SC but, if that should happen, I see no way to legally get the weapon, loaded or otherwise, to/from my motel room, nor any way for me to legally possess the weapon in the motel room, unless the rented room is considered my home.

Can anyone shed light on this? It would seem to be much more objectionable from a law enforcement standpoint to require that firearms be left overnight in an unattended auto out in the parking lot.

Now that you have an answer to your question, can you do the same for me?

I'll be traveling from SC to GA on business real soon.

Do you know how I need to carry in my vehicle?

Can I OC in GA; even though I'm a resident of SC and GA doesn't recognize my SC-CWP?

Thanks

Now that you have an answer to your question, can you do the same for me?

I'll be traveling from SC to GA on business real soon.

Do you know how I need to carry in my vehicle?

Can I OC in GA; even though I'm a resident of SC and GA doesn't recognize my SC-CWP?

Thanks
I can answer that question... Or rather link you to something that can.

Link Removed

Link Removed

I beg to differ, unless carry an approved CWP in the State of Ga, NO LOADED GUN CAN BE TRANSPORTED WITHIN YOUR VECHILE. Please review Ga Law on this site or Google.

I beg to differ, unless carry an approved CWP in the State of Ga, NO LOADED GUN CAN BE TRANSPORTED WITHIN YOUR VECHILE. Please review Ga Law on this site or Google.
I'm no expert, but I'd say you need to beg in one hand and you know what in the other, then see which one fills up first. I seem to be able to come up with citations to support my answer.

Can you?

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

OK;
This is what I get from the information links provided.

1. Car carry in you own personal vehicle is ok.
2. OC is prohibited without a permit.
3. Transport from car to motel room, ect must be done with an unloaded & empty magazine and in a closed & locked container.

I think I'll wait until I get my AZ nr permit. That way I should be fine; yes?

Hey guys as a SC CWP instructor you do have to have a permit to carry a weapon in your car as long as its stored in the glove box,console or the trunk or in the case of an SUV it has to be in a closed container secured by an integral fastener an the transported in the rear most luggage compartment of the vehicle. When you stay a t a hotel-motel you can carry it inside the room with no problem. As far as reciprocity the reason SC does not accept GA permits is the lack of training required to obtain a GA permit.In order to get a SC permit you have to attend an 8 hour training course and also do live fire training. And a NH permit is not accepted in SC although a SC resident can get a NH permit and carry in GA. Thanks Guys love this forum Randy....SC Gunrunner Firearms Training

I forgot to say that no matter what state you live in if you own property in SC you can get a SC permit the training class is still required but its just a matter of sending a form to the tax office in the county your property is in. I live in Oconee Co.SC and it borders Stephens Co. GA and i get a lot of people out of GA wanting their CWP's.....Randy

No Recip Here

There is no receprocity with Ga. and SC. SC requires a certain amount of training and live fire. Another thing I believe is the licensing situation through county sheriffs. I have heard that Ga, has about 250 counties and it is just a pain to keep track of. I get the NH permit. It costs $100 now(It was $25),but it gives me carry in Ga. and Pa.. My wife is from Pittsburgh,so I wanted to legally be able to carry there. The NH permit gives me carry in about 33 states.That isn't bad for $25 per year.

I'm no expert, but I'd say you need to beg in one hand and you know what in the other, then see which one fills up first. I seem to be able to come up with citations to support my answer.

Can you?

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

My error. I was sure I read the section in GA Law on carrying a loaded weapon in your vehicle ONLY if you had a license. I cannot find that article of Law so I cede the point. No harm, no foul. One of the reasons I secured a FLA NON RES was to NOT unload my weapon in the car as I was passing through GA from SC.

Nice addition of civility................."beg in one hand and you know what in the other, then see which one fills up first" It really perpetuates information sharing, Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back