Gaining Multi-State permits by getting a Utah concealed carry permit.

Merlin III

Many people have told me to get a non-resident Utah concealed carry permit as means of getting reciprocity with numerous other States. I did my due-diligence on the Internet and the Utah site says: "Holders of a valid Concealed Firearm Permit from another state other than Utah are not exempt from taking the weapon familiarity course from an approved Utah instructor."

This caught me by surprise until I thought about it some. They probably want you to get instruction on their State specific laws. I feel reasonably comfortable in knowing that the individuals who I spoke to did not travel to Utah and take a course.

I will call Utah tomorrow for clarification, but before I do, does anyone have any specific knowledge about this? Are there instructors around Maine who hold the Utah approval or even multi-State certifications as instructors as per Utah's statute?

Thanks for all responses.

Look at Florida ccw . Go on map and click on your home state , than click Utah, unclick click Florida,unclick click Arizona . Now which one had more . Arizona will require shooting test , but most states

I don't know of anyone around Maine who does teach a Utah class. I do know that this year they will not issue a non resident a Utah permit, unless they have a current permit for the state in which they reside.

Good luck to you, I hope you find what you are looking for.

I just signed up tonight for a Utah class through Mass Firearms School. Its $100 for 4 hours and all the paperwork is done there. Not a bad deal.

Check out the list of instructors:

Link Removed

I'm not sure about Maine but I do know that there are instructors certified for the Utah course in other states. Arizona has several. Also, as 2u23 said, I believe Utah has updated the requirements to only allow people with permits from their home state to get a non-resident permit from Utah.

Many people have told me to get a non-resident Utah concealed carry permit as means of getting reciprocity with numerous other States. I did my due-diligence on the Internet and the Utah site says: "Holders of a valid Concealed Firearm Permit from another state other than Utah are not exempt from taking the weapon familiarity course from an approved Utah instructor."

This caught me by surprise until I thought about it some. They probably want you to get instruction on their State specific laws. I feel reasonably comfortable in knowing that the individuals who I spoke to did not travel to Utah and take a course.

I will call Utah tomorrow for clarification, but before I do, does anyone have any specific knowledge about this? Are there instructors around Maine who hold the Utah approval or even multi-State certifications as instructors as per Utah's statute?

Thanks for all responses.

There are certified UT instructors throughout the country. Link Removed

I'm not sure about Maine but I do know that there are instructors certified for the Utah course in other states. Arizona has several. Also, as 2u23 said, I believe Utah has updated the requirements to only allow people with permits from their home state to get a non-resident permit from Utah.
M

Must have home state permit IF your home state has reciprocity or honors the UT permit.

Check out the AZ non-res permit: About the same cost but the training requirement is not as specific as UT i.e. NRA training class, hunter safety, DD-214 etc.

Good luck.

I am taking a motorcycle trip out west and will be touring through States where a FLA or Utah permit is not valid. I realize that Federal law protects my right to pass through gun unfriendly States, but one of those States is Colorado. In Colorado I will be attending a 4 day rally so I am not technically just passing through. Will having my pistol in a lockbox in my hard saddlebags make me legal? Any thoughts?

I moved to Nevada a few years back and had to take the state training to obtain my resident permit. When I registered for the training, the instructor asked if I'd like the Utah course "at the same time". There are only a few differences between the two states', and he pointed out each during the class.

After the eight-hour class, I received both certificates...Nevada and Utah. Then, it was just a matter of sending the paperwork/money/certificate to Utah to get my permit.

I realize this may not apply in your case, but you asked for responses. Perhaps, you can do the same in your state.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back