FYI Don't Buy Tannerite in Bulk if You Don't Want the ATF Knocking on Your Door

aosailor

Every weekend a bunch of my friends get together for some shooting fun out in Rowan County. Somebody usually brings a few pounds of tannerite with them, but its actual "Tannerite" packages in 1lb cans. Well that crap is is ~$10 a lbs.... can get expensive. So being the little genious that I am I find a website where I can buy amonium nitrate and aluminum powder in bulk for pretty cheap! 50lbs bulk.... it ended up costing like $3 per/lb. It was really easy to buy too, too easy. no questions of my age, criminal record, any personal info whatsoever!

Well I'm at work right now anf my roommate is at home, he gets a knock on the door. 2 ATF agents start asking about me. They give my roommate their info and say that if i dont call today then they will come get me at my work tomorrow! So needless to say I called. They were nice and very professional. They wanted to know where I bought it if there were any warnings any restrictions I was told about and my plans for it. My plans are to make my own reactive targets and have some fun! They told me I had done nothing wrong or illegal, just that this day and age purchaces like this put up flags. I even told them where I'll be blowing this stuff up at if they wanted to come watch. Definitely got the blood rushing when I heard ATF was looking for me! lol

Oh just to make sure this qualifies as "Carry relevant" The roommate was OCing while talking to the agents, neither one even batted an eye

I would be willing to bet that if you would have purchased 49lbs you wouldn't have had anyone knocking. At least that is the case in Omaha. :)

Yeah that would make one a bit nervous lol....I'm glad it turned out well and they were nice about it. I don't see anything wrong with asking a couple of questions, although the personal visit is a bit much, they could have just called you since they ended up speaking to you over the phone anyway....

I'm Just sayin.......... take it for what it is worth.
I used to work Undercover Narcotics back in the day,
There was a popular sub-culture magazine called "High Times"
Like most magazines back in the 70's and 80's they had ads in the back for pipes, and paraphernalia including the precursors for the manufacture of drugs.
Then after about a year my PD sent me to DEA School.
Where I found out that many of those ads for the chemicals needed for speed were actually being run by the DEA.
Just sayin.
PS. there is also a way to make tannerite with certain cold packs and aluminum powder. Here in NY the stuff sells for 18 - 20 per lb.

I entered this thread thinking that "aosailor" got cuffed and stuffed for the purchase. Nice to know that some things turn out much better than anticipated! Nicely done!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back