Freedom Munitions: bad deal?

BUmmedic

I just had to clear jammed brass from my XDs 9mm. Was shooting Freedom Munitions remanufactured 115gr ammunition. Round didn't fully chamber, and the extractor engaged, so the slide was jammed. I managed to open it, and forced it to fully seat. I fired it, and of course, the brass wouldn't extract. Brought it home, field stripped it, punched out the brass, cleaned it all up, and reassembled. No major findings to report.

I had a similar experience, again with FM 115gr reman, in my XDm 9mm compact. This time, the problem wasn't upon chambering, but on extraction after firing. Failed to extract, had to punch out, yada yada.

XDm failure was reman Blazer brass... XDs was reman S&B.

I've done a quick net search, and people are reporting issues. I've read that FM is pretty good about making things right (I left a phone message today), but I bought 500 rounds, and these two incidents have happened in the first 60. I really don't want (or feel the need) to visually inspect every round. Nor am I inclined to trust the remaining 440+ rounds. Maybe I'm being unreasonable and should visually inspect them all.

Thoughts... suggestions?

I've had zero problems with Freedom Munitions ammo. I have had similar experiences as you with WWB in my XD9. My Shield fires it just fine. Not all guns like all ammo.

I've had zero problems with Freedom Munitions ammo. I have had similar experiences as you with WWB in my XD9. My Shield fires it just fine. Not all guns like all ammo.
Yep. Some ARs like TulAmmo poly coated rounds. Others, like mine, don't. Every gun is different to some extent. A brand new gun might not like a brand of ammo while when the gun gets run a bit, it might do fine with it.

Now that you've had some issues with their ammo, I'd start a visual check of any rounds you plan to fire in the future. Also trade some rounds with a buddy and have him fire off a few. Personally, I've never had any problems with FM remans 115gr 9mm.

I've gone through at least 3000 115 and 124gr re-manufactured 9mm from Freedom in my M&P Pro and Glock 19 and not had a single failure.
Simple fact though is that with reman ammo, occasionally you might get a round that was made on deformed or weakened brass that might cause a problem for a specific gun.
It is intended as target/range ammo and not defensive ammo so I would not be too worried about it.

I did do a quick visual inspection of my remaining rounds... nothing odd to report. We'll see how the next box goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back