FOID Card Question

ninerniner

Hey everyone, I just moved to Illinois recently and I'm a 20 year old. I'm looking to get a FOID card and the application requires a parent/guardian's license and signature, but my parents are Texas residents. I could wait to register in April when I turn 21, but I want to be legal. I have yet to find any topics anywhere on the same situation and I was wondering if anyone knew the procedure to get my FOID or someone I could contact (besides the ISP). Thanks, Jake

Why not contact the ISP first? If they say you are good to go with the required statement from your Texas resident parents, then just do it. If the ISP says no, THEN seek additional advice. By the time the legal process runs through that would allow you to get your FOID - it is guaranteed to be April anyway.

You have a 90-120 day grace period to get your FOID. The way the law reads you have 60 days (off the top of my head) from the time you change your driver's license. And you have 30-60 days from the time you move into state to change your driver's license. I am not a lawyer, this is off the top of my head. Look it up.

If you are really worried you can take up a storage locker at some ranges for the next couple of months until you turn 21.

I also think if you are emancipated, you do not need a parent signature, but good luck please the state in that regard.

There is currently a bill in the IL house HB3762 to lower the FOID age requirement from 21 down to 18. Support this bill, please file a witness slip as a proponent of HB3762. Sure you'll be 21 before the bill even gets voted on, however think of the next guy in the same situation as yourself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back