FMK 9mm, any opinions?

snatale42

I'm a Front Sight member and just got notice that Front Sight has made the FMK 9mm there "Official" handgun (there's a Front Sight Edition now) for members. I'd never heard of them. They look pretty cool, have constitutional engravings on them and look like they'd be very comfortable in the hand. After some more research there $350-$400 guns at retail! Seemed kinda strange that's what they'd choose. Anybody ever try one out? I've been thinking of getting a 9mm for the house/range and save some $$ from shooting .40 all the time.

I saw the same thing - my first thought was about seeing a survey on his site a few weeks ago that indicated that 9mm was not the optimum caliber for self-defense. Now, why would he want to outfit all of his clients with anything less than what he recommends?

BTW - I don't necessarily agree with that assessment, but it does seem like a contradiction.

I read the reviews and looked at the pictures and am not in the market for one.

I'm not looking for a gun made in California with a bunch of flag-waving graffiti printed all over the slide. Front Site is not far from my home. While there are many good things associated with the business, there are many which disgust me as well.

(Before members start ranting at me about the 'flag-waving' thing, I'm a former combat officer and my wife is a former Marine. We're all for flag-waving, but not in the name of retail sales.)

OBW: "Country" does not start with a frickin "K".

Last edited:
The fact that he has said over and over that this is the last of the lifetime memberships, when these are gone they are gone then does the offer again a few months later makes him a liar. Don’t know what else to say. The last time he said that was the last time, he even admitted that he had said it was the last before, but this is really it this time and now he is selling them again. Why would you not think that this gun is anything but one he chose because he can make the most money off it period? I agree bout the 9mm. I happen to carry that caliber, I do not think the size of the bullet is as important as the location and speed of the hit, but you should have some choices. If you just want a gun for the range, a 9 is cheap shoot fine. *I never heard of this gun before the front sight deal and I am a dealer and have been for 30 years. That is how insignificant the gun is.

This is an example of the BS FS does over and over. It’s always the last time and never to be offered again, then within days the offer is back. The most unethical behavior I have ever seen with a company. It took me almost 2 years to get my old memberships transferred to my family. This came today.

Dear Front Sight Diamond Member,
The bad news is that if you did not take advantage of securing one of the 500 Official Front Sight Handguns as a free bonus, they were all taken yesterday.
The good news is that after being inundated all day with requests for more Front Sight Handguns, I was able to get a one time commitment from FMK for 400 more!

The latest offer of the gun bonus is a guaranteed gun to all who do what it takes. For those who might not know this is by the way is the Gen 2 model which has some meaningful improvements over the previous model. Search it on youtube you will see there a few excellent presentations and reviews of the FMK 9c1 Gen 2-- on the whole it gets a thumbs up from some pretty savvy shooters. I have also noticed the habit FS have of hard sell with deadline and then extended deadlines and the repeating the deal anyway.

Insincere flag waving for dough not a new notion. Just have to be careful not to be fooled and buy or don't buy on the merits of the product. I am a Diamond member for reasons not at all about FS flag waving. if you make use of membership privileges it's hard to beat the value and if you have time you can extend the trip and take in LV for a couple of days. I do because my trip is from east coast and the better half will fly in and join me for the LV part but has no interest in shooting.

FS and Stuff

Insincere flag waving for dough not a new notion. Just have to be careful not to be fooled and buy or don't buy on the merits of the product. I am a Diamond member for reasons not at all about FS flag waving. if you make use of membership privileges it's hard to beat the value and if you have time you can extend the trip and take in LV for a couple of days. I do because my trip is from east coast and the better half will fly in and join me for the LV part but has no interest in shooting.

As you can see, it it currently 4/5/13 and yes, the pressure is still on from FS and their un-ending emails regarding last chance to buy memberships and free 9mm pistols. For $990 I can be a lifetime member and own the FMK 9mm. I pondered purchasing the membership and then selling the gun to offset the price of said membership. I have to admit that I have not yet been to the FS training grounds in Nevada but I did purchase 2 - 4 day handgun courses for $100 a piece. After reading this thread in your forum, I'm a bit skeptical of FS and am looking for endorsements (or not) regarding this organization and their facilities. It all seems quite expensive from ammo to lunches on site during training etc. I have to say the marketing techniques are highly annoying to me and I have not had any success actually reaching anyone online. I have not picked up the phone and called them as of yet. Thanks in advance.

-Chad

I tested one at a local range. It's poorly manufactured innacurate gun. I went with the new S&W Sigma SD40 VE. Much better gun. Paid $320 for it too! They make a 9mm version for the same price.

SD9 VE? & SD40 VE? - Smith & Wesson

Figures, glad I never went with one. Pretty F'd up that it would be the gun they pushed. While my lifetime handgun course membership is paid at this point (I did the poor guy layaway thing) ;) I still haven't had a chance to get out there. But they have REALLY gotta to stop the never ending emails about LAST CHANCE...GONE FOREVER crap just to go back on it later. The amount to emails are also nothing short of crazy. I'm planning a Vegas trip at some point this year and that's when I intend to go. I'm sure the course itself is worth it but not the rest of the bs.

The fmk is a California gun so ten rounds...that's it! The trigger is just awful. Hand a few failure to feed but that coulda been the shooter

Figures, glad I never went with one. Pretty F'd up that it would be the gun they pushed. While my lifetime handgun course membership is paid at this point (I did the poor guy layaway thing) ;) I still haven't had a chance to get out there. But they have REALLY gotta to stop the never ending emails about LAST CHANCE...GONE FOREVER crap just to go back on it later. The amount to emails are also nothing short of crazy. I'm planning a Vegas trip at some point this year and that's when I intend to go. I'm sure the course itself is worth it but not the rest of the bs.

Put the word "lifetime" into your spam filter. Should pretty much take care of it.

I am a Front sight member also and did get one of the FMK's thru a promotion (Also a Ruger LCR in .38) . I do not worry any more about their deals which are not really deals. I do enjoy the training though and will continue to attend. My wife likes it.

The FMK C1 Gen II is what I have. It has a Glock like trigger to me, not great, not terrible it is not the most accurate gun either but way better than the S&W SD9 VE we had. It, the FMK is smaller than the Smith which was comparable to a Glock 17, the FMK more like the smaller Glock 19. It has a rifled barrel where the Glock has the polygonal thing. (You cannot shoot lead bullets out of a Glock, the lead will build up and make the gun wildly inaccurate or worse, Glock manual says Factory Jacketed ammo only) Anyways I had a little difficulty with the gun not fully returning to battery, it often needed a gentle shove al the way closed. The wife declared that while it is better than the S&W SD9 VE, it was still a hunk of junk. It breaks down like a Glock, but I found it much harder to manipulate the slide lock to strip the gun down. I finally did get it apart and inside I noticed the locking block was plastic, at least Glocks are metal, maybe pot metal, but metal! Now it was kind of gunky inside so a through cleaning was in order and now it is properly lubed. I think it will go into battery all the time now. I might try it again next week, but really I have others I need to shoot. If I get this one running well, and I think I will, I might trade it for a Glock 20. I need another 10MM

(You cannot shoot lead bullets out of a Glock, the lead will build up and make the gun wildly inaccurate or worse, Glock manual says Factory Jacketed ammo only)

FYI: You can shoot lead bullets out of a Glock, they just need to be gas checked. I have a Glock 20 Gen 4 and shoot Underwood's 200 gr hard cast through the stock barrel without problems. Underwood's 220 gr hard cast does tumble and has feeding issues.

Okay, I use Underwood 155 XTP in my G-29 and EAA Witness Match. I have a Lone Wolf stainless barrel with regular rifling for the 29 ( when it comes back from the factory - broken slide lock spring - broke off in frame). And I might try some f the 180 XTP and the 200 hard cast, but I will just use what the manual says with the factory barrel. I would like a G20. The 10s are the best engineered Glock's in my opinion, that is based off my experience at Front Sight's Glock Armorers course, where we got to mingle with the innards of the 9s 40's 10s, and see some differences.
I am not all that gun smart even though I have been shooting for a real long time I did use a lot of the Army's ammunition for a time, but just got back in shooting in the past couple of years.

I have gotten my G-29 back and have returned to the range with my FMK, It did shoot better, but not right away, I still had failure to return to full battery. It took a gentle push with my thumb to return it to full battery, that was for half of the first fifty rounds. Happily I shot an additional four full magazines thru it with no problems. I have never had to "Break In" a Glock, but apparently I needed to with this FMK. I will have to satisfy myself with another range session before I would be able to trade it. I will get another Glock for sure. Too many Choices, I 'want' a 20, have a greater 'need' for a 19, and maybe 'should' get a 43 for the Warden. I don't think I'll ask for her help in deciding.

I know this is an old post, but I just picked up a 9CG2 yesterday. Took it to the range, the first rack of the slide, it wouldn't go into battery. Thumb pushed it and was good to go. Fired 2 full magazines perfectly! Then it started. Fail to eject again and again. Lost count on the number of occurrences. Got it home and cleaned it extensively. I am going to try it again today. I hope it works itself out as I really like the firearm. It is very comfortable in hand and a very good shooting firearm, when it fires. Will advise.

Well good luck! I have returned to the range with mine and same old same old. This is one I need to take with me when I start my canoe adventures, I won't lose much if the canoe capsizes. Can't honestly trade it like I did the S&W Nice single shot pistol though.

Yeah, I traded a Smith and Wesson M&P for this! I an sending it back to California for work. See how THAT goes. Picked up a CZ p-07 in the meantime.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back