Flying NY to CO

JayTea

I'm visiting a friend in CO who shoots on own private property. I have a NY unrestricted carry, Utah & Fl non-resident. CO does not recognize NY permit or any non-resident liscense. Can I pack my guns and fly to CO and my friend takes posession of my checked bag and we shoot on their private property?
I was thinking maybe not, if the TSA needs to see an I.D. that I can carry in the state I'm traveling to; or in reverse when at CO airport flying home asking me what was I doing with a gun in CO.

not quite right, you need to be legal to possess a weapon wherever it is you are flying into.
I do not know if you need a permit to possess a weapon in CO, you do need one to carry concealed but I think if you carry it in a locked box that you would use to fly you'd be ok there.
be warned I am not a lawyer nor am I dispensing legal advise, why don't you call the colorado AG for his opinion.

You do not need a permit to posses a weapon in Colorado, nor do you need a permit to open carry (OC is not legal in Denver) Google CRS 18-12-204

Never mind I did it for you

Colorado Revised Statute
18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:
(a) Carries a knife concealed on or about his or her person; or
(b) Carries a firearm concealed on or about his or her person; or
(c) Without legal authority, carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a firearm or any explosive, incendiary, or other dangerous device on the property of or within any building in which the chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or either house thereof, are located, or in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted, or in which the official office of any member, officer, or employee of the general assembly is located.
(d) (Deleted by amendment, L. 93, p. 964, § 1, effective July 1, 1993.)

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:
(a) A person in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under his or her control at the time of the act of carrying; or
(b) A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling; or
(c) A person who, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214; or
(d) A peace officer, as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S., when carrying a weapon in conformance with the policy of the employing agency as provided in section 16-2.5-101 (2), C.R.S.; or
(e) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2003, p. 1624, § 46, effective August 6, 2003.)
(f) A United States probation officer or a United States pretrial services officer while on duty and serving in the state of Colorado under the authority of rules and regulations promulgated by the judicial conference of the United States.

State Preemption

C.R.S. 29-11.7-103 (2012)

29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited

A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

29-11.7-101. Legislative declaration.

(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:
(b) Section 13 of article II of the state constitution protects the fundamental right of a person to keep and bear arms and implements section 3 of article II of the state constitution;...
(d) There exists a widespread inconsistency among jurisdictions within the state with regard to firearms regulations;

(e) This inconsistency among local government laws regulating lawful firearm possession and ownership has extraterritorial impact on state citizens and the general public by subjecting them to criminal and civil penalties in some jurisdictions for conduct wholly lawful in other jurisdictions;

(f) Inconsistency among local governments of laws regulating the possession and ownership of firearms results in persons being treated differently under the law solely on the basis of where they reside, and a person's residence in a particular county or city or city and county is not a rational classification when it is the basis for denial of equal treatment under the law;
(2) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that:

(a) The regulation of firearms is a matter of statewide concern;

(b) It is necessary to provide statewide laws concerning the possession and ownership of a firearm to ensure that law-abiding persons are not unfairly placed in the position of unknowingly committing crimes involving firearms.

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

18-12-204. Permit contents - validity - carrying requirements.
(1) (a) Each permit shall bear a color photograph of the permittee and shall display the signature of the sheriff who issues the permit. In addition, the sheriffs of this state shall ensure that all permits issued pursuant to this part 2 contain the same items of information and are the same size and the same color.

(b) A permit is valid for a period of five years after the date of issuance and may be renewed as provided in section 18-12-211. A permit issued pursuant to this part 2, including a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to section 18-12-209, is effective in all areas of the state, except as otherwise provided in section 18-12-214.

(2) (a) A permittee, in compliance with the terms of a permit, may carry a concealed handgun as allowed by state law. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid photo identification, at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun and shall produce both documents upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Failure to produce a permit upon demand by a law enforcement officer raises a rebuttable presumption that the person does not have a permit. Failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand as required in this subsection (2) is a class 1 petty offense. A charge of failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be dismissed by the court if, at or before the permittee's scheduled court appearance, the permittee exhibits to the court a valid permit and valid photo identification, both of which were issued to the permittee prior to the date on which the permittee was charged with failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand.

(b) The provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (2) apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.

Source: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 639, § 1, effective May 17.

I think I was most worried about checking into the flight there and the one coming back with TSA or ticket person. Do they ever ask to see your liscense? Of course, flying to CO I'd show my NY liscense. Do they ask to see destination liscense?
That's probably the big issue. Once I'm in CO my friend picks up my bag with me and we go shoo on their private property. I would do no carrying anywhere else but their property.

I think I was most worried about checking into the flight there and the one coming back with TSA or ticket person. Do they ever ask to see your liscense? Of course, flying to CO I'd show my NY liscense. Do they ask to see destination liscense?
That's probably the big issue. Once I'm in CO my friend picks up my bag with me and we go shoo on their private property. I would do no carrying anywhere else but their property.

the airline personnel should not ask you for anything, that said, if you ever fly out of the NYC region airports airline personnel regularly call the airport cops and many have been arrested for not having a NY/NJ permit. that said I foresee no issues since you have the NY permit and CO only cares if you carry concealed. have a safe trip

I'm visiting a friend in CO who shoots on own private property. I have a NY unrestricted carry, Utah & Fl non-resident. CO does not recognize NY permit or any non-resident liscense. Can I pack my guns and fly to CO and my friend takes posession of my checked bag and we shoot on their private property?
I was thinking maybe not, if the TSA needs to see an I.D. that I can carry in the state I'm traveling to; or in reverse when at CO airport flying home asking me what was I doing with a gun in CO.

Please don't bring the NY mentality to Colorado :). There is no need for your friend to take possession of your checked bag. An unloaded gun enclosed in a case is good anywhere in Colorado (except prohibited places like courthouses, schools, etc.). Once you are outside of Denver county you could load the gun and open carry it throughout the rest of the state if you wanted to, no permit required. Between Colorado and New York the only place you might be asked for a permit by airport personnel is inside New York.

There is the Federal 1000' School Zone law, though, that says within 1000' of a school on public property the gun must be unloaded and locked in a case (and a couple other exceptions) unless you are licensed to carry the gun by the state the school zone is located in.

Thank you. I'll have to read up on this with a closer eye! I thought I could no have a gun in CO at all, unless on private property. I would land in Denver but be visiting up in the western mountain area.

Thank you. I'll have to read up on this with a closer eye! I thought I could no have a gun in CO at all, unless on private property. I would land in Denver but be visiting up in the western mountain area.

Leave the gun in your bags until you get to your friend's home (it's not like you'll need it) then you can open carry off his property and concealed carry on his property if you wish.

We also don't have magazine restrictions or approved gun lists

CO looks like a real friendly state. I'm retired and looking to escape fro NY the first chance I get. CO is on my short list. I'll just have to learn about how it feels to be "free" vs living in this gun unfriendly state. I guess I am just one of the few who got an unrestricted liscense here - grateful for that!

just be aware that denver is not gun friendly, they have a special carve out from the state laws

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back