FL - OK to carry on belt in a car?

Nailbane

I have a permit here in FL. It is not clear if I can carry in a holster on my belt while in a car, or if the gun needs to be in a glove box etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have a permit here in FL. It is not clear if I can carry in a holster on my belt while in a car, or if the gun needs to be in a glove box etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Oklahoma is not an open carry state. I would recommend you to conceal it. If contacted by LE then produce your permit and go from there.

You absolutely can carry on your belt in a car with a CCW permit (but the gun needs to remain concealed).

I would highly recommend that you spend the few dollars (well maybe more than a few) and get the book "Link Removed, Esq. It can be found in most gun stores. It is written by a Florida Attny but is written in plain language so it is easily understood.

You absolutely can carry on your belt in a car with a CCW permit (but the gun needs to remain concealed).

I would highly recommend that you spend the few dollars (well maybe more than a few) and get the book "Link Removed, Esq. It can be found in most gun stores. It is written by a Florida Attny but is written in plain language so it is easily understood.

I totally agree the only time you need to put it in the case or glove box or what ever is if you DO NOT have a ccw :yu:

Go here for the Florida CCW rules and regulations http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/index.html

From The Florida website about CCW

Do I Need A Concealed Weapon License To Carry A Firearm Or Weapon In My Car?

No.

Florida law gives citizens the right to possess and transport a firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. The phrase “securely encased” is defined in statute as “in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.”

Very much in agreement regarding Gutmacher's book.

Welcome to the forum crgator from Tampa Bay, Floriduh..

Sounds like you might be from Floriduh yourself.. IF so, think about joining the Link Removed, we occasionally get together and this the method we use to communicate about such get togethers..

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will also get a copy of the FL Firearms Law book.
Looks like you are new to the forum as well Nailbane, Welcome from Tampa Bay, Floriduh..
IF you are also from Florida.. Join the social group mentioned above..

Just one more thing about car carry. WITH CCW, you are ok to carry on your person while concealed in you car.

Without, the statutes say "securely encased" as talked about above. HOWEVER, I spoke with a LEO about this, and the police are taught the 3 step rule and use it. When I told him what the statutes said, he said I was correct. HOWEVER, he used the 3 step rule, and would arrest me if I didn't follow it. Yes, I would get off at trial, but I would spend the night in jail, I would have to post bail, my gun would be confiscated, I would have to hire a lawyer for my defense, and the gun would reside in their evidence locker and rust while I waited for the trial.

My advice, if you don't have a permit, use the 3 step rule (3 steps to be able to fire the weapon).

Now from the LEOs I have talked to, they are very cool about people with permits because we have been trained (I don't think they realize just how little the FL training actually is), but they do not like untrained people carrying. Just my experience YMMV :)

Just one more thing about car carry. WITH CCW, you are ok to carry on your person while concealed in you car.

Without, the statutes say "securely encased" as talked about above. HOWEVER, I spoke with a LEO about this, and the police are taught the 3 step rule and use it. When I told him what the statutes said, he said I was correct. HOWEVER, he used the 3 step rule, and would arrest me if I didn't follow it. Yes, I would get off at trial, but I would spend the night in jail, I would have to post bail, my gun would be confiscated, I would have to hire a lawyer for my defense, and the gun would reside in their evidence locker and rust while I waited for the trial.

My advice, if you don't have a permit, use the 3 step rule (3 steps to be able to fire the weapon).

Now from the LEOs I have talked to, they are very cool about people with permits because we have been trained (I don't think they realize just how little the FL training actually is), but they do not like untrained people carrying. Just my experience YMMV :)

So, we are just supposed to roll over and submit to whatever the police tell us to do (or not to do), even though our actions are perfectly legal and the police have no authority to "forbid" us to do otherwise? I thought this was America, not Nazi Germany.

Wolfling, Your LEO friend may arrest people who are obeying the law, but the LEOs in my part of Florida don't use or expect others to use a 3 step rule because it is not in the law.

Nope, not "out for Wolfling", just a statement. 3 step rules (and I did hear an advocate of a 4 step rule,once) are great, but they are defined arbitrarily and what one person calls 3 steps can be argued as being 2, or possibly 4, steps. So I say to do what the law says is required. If an officer thinks that's not enough, get their supervisor involved.

Brandon Gun School Belt situation

If you have a permit to carry in Florida, you can carry it on your belt totally concealed.

Welcome Brandon Gun School to the forum from Tampa Bay Floriduh...

IF you live in Florida, think about joining the Florida Social group to get notified of local events when they happen. It can be found under "User CP"

Excellent book!! I just finished reading it. Lots of great information. You can bet your behind that I will keep his information handy in the rare case I may ever need his help.

Oklahoma vehicle carry (in 2000 when i last looked it up) is unloaded, unconcealed, and in a case designed to carry a firearm. That is if you do not have a CCL.

So, we are just supposed to roll over and submit to whatever the police tell us to do (or not to do), even though our actions are perfectly legal and the police have no authority to "forbid" us to do otherwise? I thought this was America, not Nazi Germany.

I hope you choose that battle to fight. I don't have the resources. I will happily cheer for anyone who wants to stand up and fight that battle. I never said it was right, just what is, and I said it to save someone some trouble down the road.

The fact is, our system is far from perfect, and the police have a lot of leeway in what they do. I am not one of those people who can take comfort in knowing I am right, as I sit there in jail waiting for my arraignment, or my bail to post. I will not take comfort as my favorite gun is rusting away in an evidence bag. I am not one to take comfort in my rightness, as a left wing judge decides how I had the weapon stored didn't meet the requirements because he thinks they should be in locked container, not just a secure one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back