first road trip

dblock

Well today will be my first CCW road trip TN,AR,TX. Got all the state laws printed in a binder i am ready to go. Any last words of advise?

Any last words of advise?

Accurate advice would depend entirely upon which CCW permits you possess from which states. If you have a KY permit, than enjoy the trip with few worries.

Don't forget, it is a violation of Federal law to possess a loaded firearm on public property (such as street or sidewalk) within 1000' of a school unless you happen to possess a permit/license that is actually issued by the same state the school zone is located in, and that same state has done a background check to issue the permit/license.

I've carried in about a dozen states. I will always study up to find any odd carry rules for any states I pass through, but I've never carried a binder. Basically, if a LEO wants to give you trouble because you're carrying a concealed weapon, the binder is just going to irritate him/her. In most cases though, I see tension fall away when I hand them both my drivers license and my concealed carry license. The most dangerous situation for a LEO is a traffic stop because they really don't have a clue what they're walking into. When they see that you are one of the good guys, they feel they can let their guard down just a little. I've also never been given a ticket when I hand them both licenses. This of course is only in states with reciprocity for my Texas license. If that's not the case. what they don't know won't hurt them.

Well today will be my first CCW road trip TN,AR,TX. Got all the state laws printed in a binder i am ready to go. Any last words of advise?

Are you visiting any National parks/Schools/Prisons/Bars/Police or Sheriff Stations/Federal Buildings along the way? Are you planning to speed or to drink and drive? Or are you just driving through? I think you're over-thinking it...

I've carried in about a dozen states. I will always study up to find any odd carry rules for any states I pass through, but I've never carried a binder. Basically, if a LEO wants to give you trouble because you're carrying a concealed weapon, the binder is just going to irritate him/her. In most cases though, I see tension fall away when I hand them both my drivers license and my concealed carry license. The most dangerous situation for a LEO is a traffic stop because they really don't have a clue what they're walking into. When they see that you are one of the good guys, they feel they can let their guard down just a little. I've also never been given a ticket when I hand them both licenses.

do you pee on yourself to show them you are submitting to their authority as well?
This of course is only in states with reciprocity for my Texas license. If that's not the case. what they don't know won't hurt them.
are you claiming that you carry in states that do not recognize your TX permit? if so then you are breaking the law.

Are you visiting any National parks/Schools/Prisons/Bars/Police or Sheriff Stations/Federal Buildings along the way? Are you planning to speed or to drink and drive? Or are you just driving through? I think you're over-thinking it...

why do you ask about national parks? there is no law against carrying in a national park, just do not enter any federal buildings.
as for bars, that is a state by state thing, you are permitted to carry concealed in restaurants that have bars in most states, there are a few that prohibit carrying wherever alcohol is served.

In most cases though, I see tension fall away when I hand them both my drivers license and my concealed carry license. The most dangerous situation for a LEO is a traffic stop because they really don't have a clue what they're walking into. When they see that you are one of the good guys, they feel they can let their guard down just a little.

Any police officer that believes you are a good guy because you hand them a piece of paper and tell them you are a good guy is a fool, especially if that piece of paper is from out of state and the only way they have to verify if it is real or not is to call the issuing authority. They don't believe that your driver's license is valid just because you hand it to them. I refuse to waive any of my rights, including my 4th amendment rights to privacy in order to attempt to indicate to a police officer that I am a "good guy". Why not also just say, "I have nothing to hide, would you like to have a quick look in my vehicle or trunk?" Would that not equally show your willingness to prove your good guy-ness to them?

My best advice is to meticulously obey the traffic laws, keep a hangun on your person at all times and keep it fully conceal. Do not draw any attention to yourself and remember, a gun in your glovebox is useless when you're in the convenience store restroom unarmed. I also carry pepperspray in my non-gun (or reactionary) hand pocket everywhere I go as an alternative level of force, when feasible...

well i am back home now. The trip went well. I did not have to Meet any LEO so that is good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back