First Handgun if you cannot acquire a .22

Sirf_palot

So basically, I'm looking towards the future when I can legally acquire for a pistol (premises) permit in NYC (and rifle permit hopefully, want to get a milsurp rifle). But in this case, I only want some advice on pistols. I've read on many sites that amateurs should buy a .22 cal pistol first as to learn proper handling techniques as they say that if I go straight to centerfire pistols, I'll develop bad habits. But being from NYC, I can't waste that valuable permit for a .22 pistol. So what could I do to mitigate these problems? Any advice?

Edit (1/30/11): So a few more questions since its gonna be at least 2 more year before I can get a car (Alright, so I was too lazy to learn to drive in H.S) as a prerequisite to "safely" transporting a pistol to the range.

1) (For NYCers) How is the interview at One Police Plaza like? Any trick questions etc.

2) I was ticketed three years ago (at age 16) by a transit cop for walking in between cars (which I immediately paid of the fine) and on the application, it says I must list all non traffic summons, is this one of them and how do you think this will affect by chances.

3) Would it be a better idea for me to take handgun classes prior to getting the permit (like going to a range upstate or on LI (outside city limits) and learn to shoot there before getting my permit. Or should I wait till I am able to decide on a pistol when I get my permit, and learn with that pistol (instead of rentals or whatever they using in the classes)?

Thanks Again

Full size 9mm

Get a full size 9mm to keep the recoil down so you don't develop a flinch and ammo is cheap. Get a glock19, ruger SR9, beretta 92 or similar. Or you could get out of commie NYC and buy lots of guns like a free man.

Good luck.:triniti:

I disagree with the whole "get a .22 to learn on" thing...especially for folks who live in some of the more repressive locales (and NYC certainly qualifies).

I say get a 9MM...and the list from Jes is a good one for a starter, though I have always been partial to Rugers for a first gun because they require a little more in maintenence than the Glock, for example (and the cost is about $200 less)...and I think one of the most important parts of learning is doing that maintenence and getting comfortable with the gun. A lot of dry firing practice is good and range time must be a priority even if you have to drive 2 hours once or twice a month.

Since I assume this is a "house gun", concealability isn't an issue, so if your finances permit it, you might even consider a bigger caliber than 9MM...but then range prctice becomes even more important.

JMO...YMMV
:pleasantry:

my first purchase was a .40 smith sigma. not the best choice because of recoil and trigger pull for a starter pistol but not horrible, as far as sink or swim learning goes ;). i have since purchased both 9 and .22 among others, and i would definitely recommend a 92fs for a starter pistol. just my humble opinion. a .22 is great for plinking, but is really nothing more than a glorified pellet gun. a large frame nine is easy enough for the beginner to handle, once again, my humble opinion

just checked out the nyc application guidelines and saw it costs 340.00 for the license fee and 95 bucks for fingerprinting. my new advice is move. anywhere but new jersey. i thought MA was bad.... $100 dollars for the fee, and the fingerprinting was done gratis, or at least included lol. I love New York, but not for the gun laws, that's for sure

1st - Move... Run.. Do not walk.. Forget the permit jerk around process.. I did and never looked back.
2nd - IF you stay, check around at gun ranges (Yes NYC has some).. See IF they have rentals, or ask about instructors (That may have pistols to loan/rent).. Try to get some range time before getting a permit.. If necessary, travel out of town to a friend in a gun friendly state, and go to a range that rents guns..
IF you get to a range, you can rent a .22 if you want and then a half an hour or an hour later or the next day, you can rent a .38 revolver or a 9mm or whatever..
IF you're going to spend that much on a permit and wait that long, then spend a little on a class or instructor..

Oh.. Did I mention MOVE!!!
2zs0egh.jpg

So basically, I'm looking towards the future when I can legally acquire for a pistol (premises) permit in NYC (and rifle permit hopefully, want to get a milsurp rifle). But in this case, I only want some advice on pistols. I've read on many sites that amateurs should buy a .22 cal pistol first as to learn proper handling techniques as they say that if I go straight to centerfire pistols, I'll develop bad habits. But being from NYC, I can't waste that valuable permit for a .22 pistol. So what could I do to mitigate these problems? Any advice?

You didn't say if a revolver was acceptable to you, but a .357 with a 4" or 6" barrel would also be a good choice; you can start with light .38spl loads and work up to the heavier stuff.

1st - Move... Run.. Do not walk.. Forget the permit jerk around process.. I did and never looked back.
2nd - IF you stay, check around at gun ranges (Yes NYC has some).. See IF they have rentals, or ask about instructors (That may have pistols to loan/rent).. Try to get some range time before getting a permit.. If necessary, travel out of town to a friend in a gun friendly state, and go to a range that rents guns..
IF you get to a range, you can rent a .22 if you want and then a half an hour or an hour later or the next day, you can rent a .38 revolver or a 9mm or whatever..
IF you're going to spend that much on a permit and wait that long, then spend a little on a class or instructor..

Oh.. Did I mention MOVE!!!
2zs0egh.jpg

I do believe that in order to rent a pistol at the local range (in NYC, I only know of one in lower manhattan, unless I go out onto Long Island which is NY State), you must have a valid permit :angry: lol. As for moving, until I get my CPA license I probably can't move, probably only when I can get a job, I'll try to look for one that is out of state? :sarcastic:

I would go for a 9MM, for the price and availability of ammunition.

Please double-check the legality of this before proceeding, but I believe you can add a .22LR conversion to a centerfire handgun without it being classified as another handgun: it's a non-serial-numbered part. I was told by my friendly local FFL that I could do this without amending my permit as long as I didn't carry/transport the pistol with the conversion kit on it. Take the pistol (in original configuration) and the kit to the range, swap the parts there, and it's all good. (Don't forget to swap them back before leaving for home.) It's a drop-in swap, and only takes a few seconds. Voila: best of both worlds. I'm considering this option now for my Glock 26.

I'm in NY State, though, not NY City. I would check the local regs very carefully before doing this.

If you go that route, I would suggest Glock 19 and Advantage Arms conversion kit.

Last edited:
In my opinion, a 4-6" .357 magnum would be a great gun to learn on. You can use light .38 special ammo for tartet practice, and also use heavy hitting .357 magnum ammo for defence.

A revolver might even be easier to register in NYC than a semi-auto... not sure though, just speculation on my part.

Win-Win-Win in my opinion.

Glock 17 or 19, then also buy an Advantage Arms .22 kit for same. The AA kits are very, very good gear to own, and allow the best of both worlds with the issues that you have to deal with.

You get the cheap practice and low recoil of a .22, you still have your centerfire pistol.

First Gun

If I had little training in handling a sidearm, and wanted it mainly for home/personal protection, I would have to go with a Taurus Judge (which is actually one of the pistols I do own); its ability to shoot 410 shotgun shells and .45 cal ACP rounds (and to load a mix of the two) - IMHO makes it ideal for the first time home defender. You would definitely want to practice some - it does have a kick - but if somebody has just kicked in your door - you do not have to worry about a proper sight alignment - point in the general direction and fire... My first chamber is a small game shot, followed by some buckshot, finishing up with .45 cal and buckshot. My wife has no problem handling it - and she is hell on watermelons at 25 feet!

I'll second those suggesting a primary centerfire semi-auto with a .22LR conversion kit. Advantage makes great kits for 1911 pistols and Glocks. Ceiner makes .22LR kits for the 1911, Beretta/Taurus 92, Browning Hi-Power, and Glocks. The website 22-lr.com has conversion kits for Glocks, the 1911, SIGs, CZ-75, and EAA Witnesses. MarvelPrecision makes kits for the 1911.

By going with a .22LR conversion kit you'll have the advantage of being able to get a serious self-defense (or target) centerfire pistol and still be able to shoot lower cost, lower recoil .22LR ammo on the same frame. Besides giving you two calibers on the same license (you really need to leave New York) that also lets you shoot both calibers with the same grip and trigger. I liked it so much that I gave my Ruger MkII to my son when he got home from the Marines simply because I realized that all of my rimfire shooting was being done with my 1911 fitted with a Ciener conversion kit.

Keep in mind that if you choose a Glock m22 or other Glock in .40S&W you can convert it to .357SIG simply by changing barrels and recoil springs. That, along with a .22LR conversion would give you three calibers while still owning only a single handgun.

Former Brooklyn Boy

Welcome to taking your defense into your own hands :pleasantry:. As a kid from east Flatbush, I agree with the whole get outta Dodge philosophy, but if that's not an option, then get the best gun you can afford now, don't go small and hope to trade up "someday".
If you don't have a lot of experience with handguns, then maybe a revolver, or 'wheelgun' would be a good option. A .38 special or even a 357 loaded with .38s would not have a lot of recoil, it is simple to operate, almost NEVER jams (I said almost, stuff happens :fie:) and is usually a bit less expensive than a semi-automatic. I carry a .45 normally, but also have a .357 as a backup loaded with 38's but I would feel totally confident with just the 357.

As far as the mil-sup rifle goes, there are some good web sites you can order from, if NY allows it. I have a Saiga AK-47 and it shoots great.

i carry a north american arms mini-revolver 22 magnum that also came with a 22 lr conversion cylinder. i realize that i am in the minority regarding 22 caliber but the mini-revolver is extreamly easy to conceal and the magnum is more effective than the 22 lr. please realize that as many have found out(some the hard way) a 22 can be quite lethal. i believe that the 22 with you is better than the 44 at home. during winter i sometimes carry a charter arms 38 special when my wardrobe allows. even then my 22 serves as a back-up. whatever you do make sure that you are comfortable with the gun. and you can never practice enough. besides practicing is fun and can be a family affair. good luck.

4 calibers, 1 frame

+1 for full size, 9mm, 22 conversion

I prefer a G22. You can have the .40, .357, 9mm, and 22, with the correct barrels and conversion. Same magazine for .40 and .357.

I have used my G22 with a 9mm barrel and 9mm mags (no other changes) for well over a year and am very satisfied (practice only). No problems.

I agree with all those recommending a centerfire 9mm pistol. Sticking with the most widely produced and affordable NATO round is never a bad idea.. And you can get some super hot and heavy slugged self defense loads when you're ready for that stuff.

As for which pistol. 3 basic things to consider:

1. It must fit your hand like a glove.

2. If you can only have one, then a very good choice is something that can convert to a 22LR. It will be so worth it in the long run. Nothing is cheaper and more fun than shooting buckets of 22LR. Or you can look at (if it fits you), the Sig's that convert to a 9mm. Cart, Horse, makes perfect sense. A link for you

Link Removed

3. Unless you plan to carry it all the time, don't get anything too light either... the lighter it is, the more recoil is amplified. Range and home defense pistols should have some weight to them... 2 lbs is plenty

Good luck!

Your neighbor in Conn-ARCTIC-cut :hang3:

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess a conversion kit (if its legal in NYC) would be my best bet. If not, maybe I could get a nice Glock or revolver. Moving won't be an option for a while unfortunately.

Either a mid-sized .357 (K or L frame Smith, Ruger GP-100, Colt Trooper/Python, that general size) with no less than a 4 inch barrel OR a full size 9mm semi auto.

WHY do I suggest those options?

1 Availability.

Either can be found readily in both new and used sections of every gunshop worthy of the name.

2 Price.

Look into the used, Police trade in types guns. Most are carried a LOT and shot VERY little in comparison and many, like the Glocks, have been traded back to the manufacturer who fixes what needs to be fixed before putting them back out onto the market.

The wheelguns that were on the market after the big semi auto change over in the '90's looked a bit rough on the outside on occasion but were barely broken in mechanically. Screwed up grips can be replaced by making 1 call to Midway and shelling out $25-30 for a new set of Hogue rubber grips. I couldn't have cared less about the slight holster wear that was on the PAIR of 4 inch heavy barrel Smith and Wesson Model 65's I picked up for $400 OUT THE DOOR back in '98. Both of them had crisp rifling, locked up tight, had no end shake and could shoot better than I can hold.

3. They are cheap to feed.

Price 9mm and .38 Special ammo in bulk. There ain't many calibers that consistently run cheaper for factory ammo. You also can it down to about $5 or less per 50 if you reload.

4 They are easy to shoot.

Loaded with the proper ammunition, either can and have been used to teach folks to shoot many times before. I personally learned on a 9mm Browning hi Power and I've taught folks with both a medium frame 357 or a 9mm on several occasions. It depended on which fit their hand better and which one I had the most ammo for at the moment.

Just because the revolver is marked '.357 Magnum' doesn't mean you have to shoot them in it. I normally use either the standard pressure 158gr .38 special or a .38 special 148gr wadcutter target load when teaching. Which depends on what I have on hand and whether or not I think that the mild recoil of the 158gr 38 could pose a problem for a very recoil shy person. Wheelguns have an advantage here because you can load them way lighter than you can a semi auto since they don't need to cycle the action like a semi auto must.

5 They are capable of good accuracy.

While the standard service 9mm isn't normally a 'one hole' gun (as in shoot all of a string's shots in 1 ragged hole), it is more than capable of producing groups the size of the bottom of a Coke can all day at reasonable ranges. That's plenty accurate enough for a novice to figure out if they are doing every thing right.

A mid sized, 4 inch 357, loaded with .38's, should be capable of that 'ragged 1 hole' group if the shooter does their part if shot single action (and double action, too, for that matter but it's a LOT tougher than it looks).

6 They are 'powerful' enough that they are realistic self defense tools.

If you gotta defend yourself, either one is more than capable of doing the job IF you do your part. AND there's a plethora of quality self defense ammunition out there that will function in either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back