First firearm purchase in Washington...

stonedkirby

First off let me say that i am delighted to have found this wonderful forum. This is my my first post, and i am new to firearms in general.

I have just moved to Washington, after living in NYC for 22 years. I have always wanted to, but assumed due to the nature of NYC's extremely strict gun laws, that i would never own a gun, and the closest i would get would be going to a shooting range in manhattan.
But anyways, im here now in a very gun friendly state, and i cant get the idea of owning my first gun out of my head! heres my question:

I've read tons of articles and forum post all over the internet, yet i am still confused on how i would go about getting a firearm here in WA. Im going to be very specific so i can get accurate advice.

I have lived here 44 days. I have just yesterday ( my 43rd day here ) gotten my State ID. I am 22. I have no felonies, my slate is clean, i have never been arrested, etc.

I have been told and read that i must be a resident for 90 days prior to purchasing a gun. What constitutes as being a resident? I moved here with the intentions of living here permanantly, i have changed my address with the USPS a while ago, but i am not yet listed as a tenant ( will get that done in the next days ).
Does a USPS change of address satisfy towards proof of residency, or that i have been here or plan on living here permanantly or at least for 6 months?

Had i gotten my state ID when i had arrived, i would be halfway towards that 90 day rule. But since i havent, will i really have to wait until November 26 to get my gun?

I have read that if i aqquire my CPL, that my wait will be shortened to 60 days, or that once i get my CPL i can purchase my gun. Is this accurate?

I would be very content applying for my CPL to get my gun faster, would i have any trouble getting that, being a new resident? Since i only have a temp state ID right now, should i wait till i get my official one in the mail?

Thank you!

No one can answer your questions fully, we don't work for the State of Washington or a Washington gun dealer, so we'd be guessing.

If you have a Washington CCW permit you probably can get a gun immediately, as it waives your background check....at least it does here in Idaho.

Depending on the law enforcement agency you apply at, you'll get your CCW permit in 1-4 weeks. I got my non-resident in Spokane in 3 weeks, and of course that's without a WDL as I'm an Idaho resident.

I would assume without the permit you will have to wait the full 90 days until your WDL reflects you've been in the state that long. Sometimes you can't rush bureaucracy. The only way to know however is to go into a gun shop and ask. Good luck.

ok, well i went and applied for my Concealed Permit and they said it should it take 2-3 weeks. Regardless, im excited that the process is underway. ill let u guys know how it goes

i realized that through a private sale i could purchase a gun, as long as both the seller and the buyer are residents of WA

There is no minimum time residency requirement in Washington. With your Washington ID, you can buy a rifle or a shotgun from a dealer and walk out with it the same day regardless of how long you have had the ID card. Handguns have a 5 day waiting period IF you have a state ID card that is greater than 90 days old and do NOT have a cpl. If you have a Washington State ID Card that is less than 90 days old and do NOT have a cpl, the waiting period for the handgun goes up to 60 days. Once you get your cpl, the handgun waiting period goes away regardless of the age of your ID card. This is in RCW 9.41.090:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.090

Private sales can be done between Washington residents with no waiting period, no paperwork required, and no minimum time of residency requirements.

Open carry is also legal in Washington state! You can walk down the street with a gun in a holster on your belt, out in the wide open!

If you have any other Washington questions, just ask! Either PM or post on this thread.

No one can answer your questions fully, we don't work for the State of Washington or a Washington gun dealer, so we'd be guessing.

No, we wouldn't be guessing. It's in a very easy to understand statute and dealers don't necessarily know the laws either, BTW.

Ok so i got a call from local sheriff today, asking if i had been a resident of WA for 90 consecutive days. Since i told him i have only been here about 50 days, he told me that he would put my license application on hold for 40 days, on the 40th day he would then submit it for review.
Now im not sure if this is him flexing his muscle, because under chapter RCW 9.41.070:

The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a
county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of
any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed
on his or her person within this state for five years from date of
issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business,
sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a
valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state
identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the
previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up
to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license.

The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications
for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Now it seems to me, that to apply for and be elligible ofr a CPL, one must have a state ID or be a resident for 90 days. the key here, is or. if it were nessecary to meet all the requirements, it would say and. I meet the requirement of having a state id, of being a legal, registered resident of the state. The 90 days residency would seem to apply for a resident who is not planning on residing there for more than 6 months or so.

Also, it states that if i dont meet the requirements for a CPL, that the issuing authority will have up to 60 days after the filing of the application to issue a license.

chime in and tell me if my rights are being violated!

No, we wouldn't be guessing. It's in a very easy to understand statute and dealers don't necessarily know the laws either, BTW.

Then I guess you should have answered right away instead of quoting my attempt to give the OP some advice. But you didn't. Not everyone here lives in Washington.

this sucks...i found a glock 17 at a local shop for 375! WTF

I'm not from Washington state - just to qualify my answer.

BUT, if you find a gun at a dealer, you like it and feel it is a great price, there is NO reason you cann't put something down and have it held until the necessary registration / ID, etc. are received. I would doubt any dealer would bulk at such a sale. He will be glad to make the sale and understands the need for proper paperwork. Unless it is a consignment and the consignee won't agree to put it on layaway.

It seems you are a bit over-anxious. Good things will come in time. Unless you plan on only being in WA for a short time. I would put my energy / time to looking for the right gun for you. Checking out local gun dealers, ranges, clubs, etc. so when the time comes you are ready to roll. :dance3:

Ok so i got a call from local sheriff today, asking if i had been a resident of WA for 90 consecutive days. Since i told him i have only been here about 50 days, he told me that he would put my license application on hold for 40 days, on the 40th day he would then submit it for review.
Now im not sure if this is him flexing his muscle, because under chapter RCW 9.41.070:

The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a
county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of
any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed
on his or her person within this state for five years from date of
issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business,
sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a
valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state
identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the
previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up
to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license.

The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications
for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Now it seems to me, that to apply for and be elligible ofr a CPL, one must have a state ID or be a resident for 90 days. the key here, is or. if it were nessecary to meet all the requirements, it would say and. I meet the requirement of having a state id, of being a legal, registered resident of the state. The 90 days residency would seem to apply for a resident who is not planning on residing there for more than 6 months or so.

Also, it states that if i dont meet the requirements for a CPL, that the issuing authority will have up to 60 days after the filing of the application to issue a license.

chime in and tell me if my rights are being violated!

It is not a requirement to even be a resident of Washington in order to receive a Washington CPL. Read the statute again. It states, "However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license."

If you do not have a WA Dl, a WA ID, or have been a resident for less than 90 days, the issuing authority has up to sixty days to issue you a license. Nowhere does it say that a WA DL, a WA ID or 90 days residency is required. The issuing authority is given up to 60 days to issue the license in order for them to send out the background check to whatever other out of state LEO agencies they want to. The wait time that they can legally impose is merely 60 days vice 30 days.

You can't do anything about the fact that your sheriff is being a male organ about it. He is not going to give you your license until day 60. Island County sheriff does the same thing. They will hold on to it even after it is done until day 30.

However, as I stated, not even Washington residency is required for the CPL, 90 days residency is not required for the CPL and 90 days residency is not required for a handgun purchase - but without the CPL or 90 days residency for the handgun purchase, the wait time for the delivery of the handgun goes up to 60 days.

Now, if on day 61 the Sheriff does not issue the license, you can take court action against him, and if you can prove that he held on to your application for 40 days before submitting it, you have avery good case against him.

If you have a Washington CCW permit you probably can get a gun immediately, as it waives your background check....at least it does here in Idaho.

Washington still require a background check WITH a CHP. No waiting period with the CHP. The 60 days the police are using is for non-resident CHP requirements.

From Acess Washington web site:

Link Removed

To become a resident of the state of Washington, simply take some action that proves you intend to live in the state on more than a temporary or transient basis.

Examples of actions you can take:

Obtain a Washington State driver license
Register to vote
Buy property and/or maintain a residence

Persons are considered residents of this state for sales and use tax purposes if they take actions which indicate that they intend to live in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. A person may be considered a resident of this state even though the person is a resident of another state.

Washington State residency definition

Washington State residency definition
Persons are considered residents of this state for sales and use tax purposes if they take actions which indicate that they intend to live in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. A person may be considered a resident of this state even though the person is a resident of another state.

The Department of Revenue presumes that a person is a resident of this state if he or she does any of the following:

Maintains a residence in Washington for personal use;
Lives in a motor home or vessel which is not permanently attached to any property if the person previously lived in this state and does not have a permanent residence in any other state;
Is registered to vote in this state;
Receives benefits under one of Washington's public assistance programs;
Has a state professional or business license in this state;
Is attending school in this state and paying tuition as a Washington resident or is a custodial parent with a child attending a public school in this state;
Uses a Washington address for federal or state taxes;
Has a Washington State driver's license; or
Claims Washington as a residence for obtaining a hunting or fishing license, eligibility to hold public office or for judicial actions.
Persons may rebut the presumption of residency if they provide other facts which show that they do not intend to reside in this state on either a temporary or permanent basis. A Washington resident who intends to move at a future date, however, will be considered a Washington resident.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back