Firing range has residents fired up

June 19. 2012

Police and military officers train on the firing ranges at SigSauer Academy in Epping. (COURTESY)

Debbie Harrigan stands next to the garden in the backyard of her Brentwood home where she hears the sound of gunfire from the SigSauer Academy on a daily basis. (JASON SCHREIBER)
EPPING — Candy Spechuilli feels like she's living on a battlefield.

Noise from the rapid succession of gunfire at the nearby Sig Sauer Academy has made life unbearable, insisted Spechuilli and other Epping and Brentwood residents who live near the outdoor firing ranges where military and police officers often train and weapons manufactured by the company are test fired...

Link Removed

June 19. 2012

Police and military officers train on the firing ranges at SigSauer Academy in Epping. (COURTESY)

Debbie Harrigan stands next to the garden in the backyard of her Brentwood home where she hears the sound of gunfire from the SigSauer Academy on a daily basis. (JASON SCHREIBER)
EPPING — Candy Spechuilli feels like she's living on a battlefield.

Noise from the rapid succession of gunfire at the nearby Sig Sauer Academy has made life unbearable, insisted Spechuilli and other Epping and Brentwood residents who live near the outdoor firing ranges where military and police officers often train and weapons manufactured by the company are test fired...

Link Removed

This academy has been in operation since 1990!!! It's over 20 years old. How long have these residents and businesses been there. If they were there before the academy and been fighting this fight for 22 years, then maybe it has some merit. If they moved in after 1990, then they are just whiners. If the noise is that bad (all the time as they say) then they would have heard it when they were buying their house or business.

What about highway 101 that they live next to? Doesn't the sound of traffic, not only in the day but at night as well, bother them too? Are they going to tell the highway commission to move it as well?

So this lady who has just giving up gardening.... I have one question for her ... how long did you garden next to a firing range before you started to whine about it?

What's different about the noise of this firing range today that wasn't happening 22 years ago? Firearms go boom, you chose to live next to a firing range. Guess what, they still go boom!

However, one sarcastic comment needs to be made... if the townspeople get their way, maybe the government will be forced to provide silencers to everyone who trains on that range. Ya think that could happen with all the government handouts and give-a-ways???

And these are the same people who benefit from that training.. that range has been there a long time... and I am sure the noise is not nearly as bad as these residents make it out to be..At the distance they are from the range.. they probably only hear a pop pop when guns are fired... ridiculous!

Had a similar problem with people in Va. Beach when I lived there. The neighborhood was in the flight path for NAS Oceana. They always complained about the noise of jets flying over yet they chose to buy in that neighborhood.
On a related note, there was a couple hundred acres of soy bean fields across the street where planes would ditch if need be instead of creaming a community. A mall was built there! WTFO! Not to mention that the mall blocked my view of the air show from the comfort of my front yard... People complain, it's just what they do.

Our last home here in Maine had a "summer place" on the lot next to me about 500 yards form my home. In the summer they would call the local LE every time I went out shooting ( almost daily ) depending on who was on duty they would come over and shoot with me. I made it a point to practice night fire with the Barrett and the m16 whenever they where up from Mass. the more they complained the more we shot. The weekend before I moved we had a shoot/ picnic and I invited them and all my friends from the range and a bunch of my NFA friends. I left with a major bang. My daughter moved into the house and they stopped by to say high and tell her what a nut the last guy who lived here was she told them she was my daughter and shot allot to. They have never come back and call the Locals on her to..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back