Firearm Recommendation

jmcharries

I was hoping somebody might be able to make a recommendation. My wife would really like to have her own gun for protection, especially when she is home alone. Thing is, she is very petite and has both carpal tunnel and tendonitis. So, she needs something small and needs to be easy to pull otherwise her grip is not really up to it. I was thinking a .38 but was wondering what people recommended as far as being easy for her to fire.

I don't think a 38 revolver is very good for those that are recoil sensitive. Have you given any thought to maybe an M&P shield 9mm,or maybe even the Glock 42 380 that just came out.... I hear due to the fact that it's a Lil bigger than the micro 380's,its better on the recoil side of things and is a bit of a soft shooter.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I have an inordinate number of female students who are unable to rack the slide on any semi-automatic. I take a bag full to my classes for comparison and am amazed by this fact since my wife, who is 5'2" can operate the slide on anything she picks up, including a .45. Having said that, it is my experience that husbands are the absolute worst in helping a woman select her firearm, second only to the guy behind the counter at the gun store. My wife once shot her Bodyguard .38 until it split the web between her thumb and forefinger. I replaced the grip with a Hoague and that seems to have fixed the problem. She loves both her XD 9's in compact and sub compact and is hoping to get a Glock 30S one day, but that's just her. I recommend that my students, especially the ladies, do a LOT of homework, hold a lot of guns, fire the ones they can (rental is not readily available around here) and look for problems with the grip. There are many aftermarket solutions for an uncomfortable grip, but you have to look for them. I've changed or modified grips on my 1911, my wife's .38 and both of our Bodyguard .380's. Generally its a cheap fix and pretty satisfactory. Sensitivity to recoil is a whole 'nother topic.

There is an entire category on Women & Guns in this forum: Link Removed.

There is a lot of info already posted: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/women-guns/41655-what-best-handgun-least-kick.html.

She definitely should go to a range where she can rent and try out different options!!!

While small/lightweight handguns are often seen as "cute" and are easy to carry, they can have a hell of a kick. Given your description of "carpal tunnel and tendonitis", I would stay away from any small/lightweight gun, semi-auto or revolver.

.380 Auto is certainly an option. Look at Glock 42, Bersa Thunder, and Walther PK380.

9 mm would be better. Look at Glock 26 Gen 4, Springfield Armory XD(S) 9, Beretta Nano, Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9.

As far as trigger goes, if she can't handle a heavy double-action trigger, there are always the options of striker fired guns (a la Glock) or SA(/DA) cocked and locked.

I was hoping somebody might be able to make a recommendation. My wife would really like to have her own gun for protection, especially when she is home alone. Thing is, she is very petite and has both carpal tunnel and tendonitis. So, she needs something small and needs to be easy to pull otherwise her grip is not really up to it. I was thinking a .38 but was wondering what people recommended as far as being easy for her to fire.

I can not urge you enough to stay out of the decision making process for her firearm. If she asks your opinion on a feature or something, give it, but don't influence. Too many men have bought firearms that no one uses in their households, because they "helped" get it for their wife.

You know that a firearm is personal. It has to fit the persons hand just right. The balance has to be just right. The recoil has to be just right. Also, too many women will just succumb to whatever the man recommends in order to not hurt his feelings or "go against" him.

Be supportive, be encouraging, answer questions specifically when asked, but do not actually influence the decision.

After my wife went to a Girls and Guns training program, she came home and told me what firearm she was going to get. It wasn't even on my radar of what I think she should have bought. But when I did my research on it, she made one hell of a choice (I only told her that after she got it... again I didn't want to influence). I'm not saying what model my wife got, because that won't help your wife.

The best way for her to find out what is best, is to hold many models, to feel what they are like in her hand, to operate the slide (if it's a semi). Then if she can, rent some to shoot, or better yet, have her take an all women's class that will have several models to try.

I can not urge you enough to stay out of the decision making process for her firearm. If she asks your opinion on a feature or something, give it, but don't influence. Too many men have bought firearms that no one uses in their households, because they "helped" get it for their wife.

You know that a firearm is personal. It has to fit the persons hand just right. The balance has to be just right. The recoil has to be just right. Also, too many women will just succumb to whatever the man recommends in order to not hurt his feelings or "go against" him.

Be supportive, be encouraging, answer questions specifically when asked, but do not actually influence the decision.

After my wife went to a Girls and Guns training program, she came home and told me what firearm she was going to get. It wasn't even on my radar of what I think she should have bought. But when I did my research on it, she made one hell of a choice (I only told her that after she got it... again I didn't want to influence). I'm not saying what model my wife got, because that won't help your wife.

The best way for her to find out what is best, is to hold many models, to feel what they are like in her hand, to operate the slide (if it's a semi). Then if she can, rent some to shoot, or better yet, have her take an all women's class that will have several models to try.

Wolf is right on. I do not buy cloths for my wife because the few times I did she said she liked it BUT it always hung in the closet OR was in a drawer! Now how many of you have had the same experience. It will be the same for a gun.

If there is ANYTHING no matter how trivial you think it is, "She will not use it!"

Go somewhere you can rent guns and try them.. have her try them. Its the best way to find what she likes before spending a ton of money and she hates it and it sits unused in a safe forever and she' no better protected.

Things to think about... Semi Autos take strength to be able to rack the slide, slam magazines, tap and rack or more for malfunctions... etc...

Revolvers are a lot more simple. Double Action just pull the trigger and shoot, but... DA revolvers often have much heavier trigger pulls, and if she has trouble being able to pull the trigger, she wont use it either. You can get common revolvers and have a good gunsmith do a trigger job on it to make the pull much lighter though.

Remember also that any of these issues will be amplified if she's under heavy stress of actually needing the gun, making them even harder to use. If she can just barely do it when calm... something needs to be done, because she's likely to fail when under stress.

If it was me, I'd look at maybe a mid sized revolver (not a tiny little light thing with tons of recoil), probably a 6 shooter 38sp+p or 357mag and use 38sp+p in it, and possibly get the trigger lightened to be easier to pull. Or if money isn't an issue, look at the Smith & Wesson 327 and 627 series (including the M&P R8) which are all medium/large frame 8 shot 357 magnum.

Beyond any advice though, its really something that should be tried before making decisions though.

5.7 or Chiappa revolvers

If you can afford them, I think you should find somewhere she can try a Five-Seven or a PS-90. The PS-90 is better if she isn't going to carry it.

Among the revolvers, try the low-barrel Chiappas. Depends on her trigger finger strength, because the stock trigger is not light. I think they make an optional light trigger also:
Link Removed

Last edited:
If you can afford them, I think you should find somewhere she can try a Five-Seven or a PS-90. The PS-90 is better if she isn't going to carry it.

Among the revolvers, try the low-barrel Chiappas. Depends on her trigger finger strength, because the stock trigger is not light. I think they make an optional light trigger also.

Love my Chiappa... They do make trigger kits... I think there are three different weight options. The wide trigger is easy to get a grip on, too.

Among the revolvers, try the low-barrel Chiappas. Depends on her trigger finger strength, because the stock trigger is not light. I think they make an optional light trigger also.

Did you seriously just recommend a $1500 carbine for his wife's first firearm? Especially one in which the ammo is in extremely tight supply... wow.

While I agree, it would be one heck of a home defense gun, just not sure how many husbands would enjoy throwing 15 C notes for a wife's first gun.

If you find someone who is willing, I might marry him.... :sarcastic:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2524004/charlotte-north-carolina-rifles-for-sale--brand-new-fn-ps90

Wolf is right on. I do not buy cloths for my wife because the few times I did she said she liked it BUT it always hung in the closet OR was in a drawer! Now how many of you have had the same experience. It will be the same for a gun.

If there is ANYTHING no matter how trivial you think it is, "She will not use it!"

My husband buys great clothes for me, and recommended my Chiappa! But I'm a bit strange...

Love my Chiappa... They do make trigger kits... I think there are three different weight options. The wide trigger is easy to get a grip on, too.
Do they make kits anyone can do, or do you have to ship them in to Chiappa? Mines like 10 pounds, and I wouldn't mind cutting a few pounds off of it.

EDIT:
Found here... looks like you'd want to ship it to someone who knows the Rhino well... and looks like might have some ammo problems without the normal Stage 1
Link Removed

My wife likes her hammerless .38 S&W because it can be shot right through the pocketbook. If carrying on her person she likes a Ruger LCP in a Velcro belly-band.

Ps90

Did you seriously just recommend a $1500 carbine for his wife's first firearm? Especially one in which the ammo is in extremely tight supply... wow.

While I agree, it would be one heck of a home defense gun, just not sure how many husbands would enjoy throwing 15 C notes for a wife's first gun.

If you find someone who is willing, I might marry him.... :sarcastic:

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Brand new FN PS90
This person has special needs. It's really buying medical equipment in this case. The PS90 is like shooting a 22LR, but has military zing to it. With 2 hands, it's easy to aim and shoot. If you add a good red dot site, it's unbelievably easy to hit anything at HD range, time after time..

They are also expensive, but with a Mepro M21 or a Leupold Prismatic you don't have to ever worry about batteries, unless you need illumination.

Such large magazine means a person with hand troubles doesn't have to fiddle with reloading as often, and probably not at all during any typical HD confrontation.

Lately, I've had no trouble buying 5.7 either online or at local gun store. It's not 9mm cheap, but it's no more expensive than 357 or 45 ammo.
Link Removed

It's a $2k system, but I think for people with hand disabilities, it's certainly a top-5 HD gun.

Last edited:
This person has special needs. It's really buying medical equipment in this case. The PS90 is like shooting a 22LR, but has military zing to it. With 2 hands, it's easy to aim and shoot.
One should be able to shoot their weapon with either hand and either eye. I actually like my 9mm over the .40 and .45 because I have better control with the weak hand on follow-up shots.

one-hand

One should be able to shoot their weapon with either hand and either eye. I actually like my 9mm over the .40 and .45 because I have better control with the weak hand on follow-up shots.
The more I think about it, even for one-hand some kind of a carbine is easier to shoot. With a PS90, one can put the stock in the armpit, and still be able to take a good point shot, because the barrel is longer and it's still anchored at 2 points. With a pistol, one-hand shot is not so easy for me.

So, for a special needs person, if she can lift it, I predict she can shoot it one-handed. There is the poor-man's 5.7 from Masterpiece Arms, but they are almost as heavy, and not ergonomic at all. Plus, carbines of all kinds in 9mm, 40, 45, etcetera, from various companies.

If it has to be a pistol, then I vote for Five-Seven for the same reasons. The Rhino is nice, but it's also expensive, probably has more recoil, even in 9mm, and it's hard to beat the 20-round mag of the Five-Seven, except of course with the 30-round mag for the Five-Seven: :victory:
Link Removed

My wife can't rack any slide. Major car accident shattered her arm. She tried everything. She decided on a .38 special Taurus 85 with exposed hammer, as she will not carry. It is a nightstand gun.

The trigger was initially very heavy for her to pull. Several thousand cycles later with snap caps and spent brass, I made it tolerable for her to operate. I installed Hogue grips so she had a pinky rest and a shorter reach to the trigger. The grips also helped with recoil for her.

I've taken her to the range many times, and she has an aversion to the indoor concussion and noise (even with plugs and muffs on at same time), that affects her accuracy and mindset. When I take my turn with the .45 XD-S, she will not stay behind me to observe, as the concussion from it makes her organs rattle, and even standing in the show room, she said it rattles the windows... Will take her to an outdoor range here, as soon as the WX breaks.

We had a front door incident that prompted her to want the sidearm in the first place. What I'm about to say may come as a shock, but I feel in my gut that even if her life is in danger, she will not have the mindset to pull the trigger. This happens to military personnel, so it is not a female thing at all. A friend at work who served said there were many who froze and did not engage.

My wife loves life. She would stop her car and help a terrapin cross the road so another vehicle wouldn't run over it. She loves monkeys, people, kids and is the most caring and helpful woman I have ever met. That's why I married her.

I just have this inner voice that keeps telling me that she does not have the capability to use deadly force, to save her life.

Don't know why I divulged this, other than to say I'm trying to do my part, and the rest is out of my hands.

I'm going to set her up for a ladies day only range visit(s), and see if my sixth sense feels any better, after she gets to interact with women who are into firearms. I believe a lady instructor is in the mix, so it gets the whole guy/testosterone thing out of the equation.

Anyway, I hope some of the above makes sense, if not, then I'll shut up!

This person has special needs. It's really buying medical equipment in this case. The PS90 is like shooting a 22LR, but has military zing to it. With 2 hands, it's easy to aim and shoot. If you add a good red dot site, it's unbelievably easy to hit anything at HD range, time after time..

They are also expensive, but with a Mepro M21 or a Leupold Prismatic you don't have to ever worry about batteries, unless you need illumination.

Such large magazine means a person with hand troubles doesn't have to fiddle with reloading as often, and probably not at all during any typical HD confrontation.

Lately, I've had no trouble buying 5.7 either online or at local gun store. It's not 9mm cheap, but it's no more expensive than 357 or 45 ammo.
Link Removed

It's a $2k system, but I think for people with hand disabilities, it's certainly a top-5 HD gun.

Yeah, I didn't need the info-mercial. I own one. This is why my surprise at recommending it to a first time shooter as a possible home defense system. It's a lot of coin for someone who's just getting into the field.

Difficulty in racking a slide is often poor technique, rather than lack of strength. More than one way to skin a cat....

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Get her some basic training FIRST. At this point SHE needs fundamentals, not run and gun, or force on force. Reputable instructors will provide a host of handguns and holsters for HER to experience in class. That will give HER some idea of where HER preferences might lead HER in handgun selection. Then.....

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion... again....get some training......proper shooting techniques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right. Most gun shops have a box of used holsters that you can experiment with after you've chosen what gun works best for you. There are many options for concealed/open carry.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can consistently hit your target.

If you're buying a handgun for home protection, and you choose to NOT have it on your person, you should consider where in your home you might be if someone kicks the door in. I don't see a person in a position to be able to ask an intruder to "hang on a sec, while I get my gun"

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil...I've known more than a few gents who didn't care for the recoil of what's often called a "ladies gun"... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...and they've worked for my students for many, many years.

Shoot Safely....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back