Finding what fits you best!

cluznar

I have owned quite a few handguns. .45 cal, .357 cal, .38 cal, 9mm's, .380, .32 and .22 over the years. New gun owners need to understand that you do not always find the best gun for yourself the first time. Though it is possible, most people go thru a number of caliber handguns till they find they're favorite. This is why asking people to tell you which gun to buy does not always work. People will tell you the guns they like but can not be sure you will agree. But of course you have to start somewhere so getting peoples opinions give you a starting point. I would bet you might go through 6 or more handguns till you really find what you want, most people do. You may find something you like, only to try something else and like it more.

But after some years of shooting, and owning different guns, you will eventually find 1 or 2 guns that you really favor. Which is the main thing, it's a good feeling to have a couple guns you shoot well and feel good about. Ones that you know if you needed them in a defensive situation, you would have no trouble using them. No matter how many guns you own, and even if can shoot accurately with all of them. Having 1 or 2 favorites will happen. It's a good feeling when you know you no longer have to look for that special gun. Although you may still buy more guns.

:triniti:

Buy guns just like you buy shoes. You don't buy shoes just because someone else recommends 'em, and you try 'em on first, THEN buy 'em. Buy guns the same way. Your feet will let you know in a matter of seconds if the shoe is comfortable, and you hands will tell you just as fast if the gun is comfortable. If the gun is not comfortable, move on...... you likely do not wear uncomfortable shoes, and you likely will not achieve proficiency with an uncomfortable gun. As with most all things gun-related, personal preference rules... and that's as it should be. When I teach a class, I provide 12 to 15 handguns in different platforms and calibers, so the students will be able to begin to form their own preferences. It works.

Cluznar,

Thank you for that post. It was spot on. Firearms are personal and not every firearm fits every person. If there were ONE best firearm for ALL, then there would only be one manufacturer. There are many for a reason. I hear the same arguments about motorcycles too. If there was ONE that was the best for every person, there would only be one motorcycle manufacturer.

Thanks much!
I needed to hear this as I'm new to ccw. I ran out and bought a nice Ruger SR9, becuase my friend loved his. Yet, watching Hickok45, I learned that there are so many other nice guns, as I'm trying them finding a FNH FS9 feels and shoots great. No guilt now, just having fun and finding whats best for me.
Jay

Thanks much!
I needed to hear this as I'm new to ccw. I ran out and bought a nice Ruger SR9, becuase my friend loved his. Yet, watching Hickok45, I learned that there are so many other nice guns, as I'm trying them finding a FNH FS9 feels and shoots great. No guilt now, just having fun and finding whats best for me.
Jay

You're very welcome. And welcome to the world of self-reliance when it comes to your own safety.

I thought when I had one hunting rifle, one shotgun, and one handgun, I was done buying firearms. What did I need any more for? HA.

Yeah, you'll have many more throughout your life. Enjoy the journey. As you learn, pass on your knowledge to others and also be quick to listen to old timers. They got that way for a reason. :wink:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back