Finally Got Out To Shoot My New Ruger LCR .38

Danmc

Seems like whenever I start a thread I open a can of worms LOL. I'll try not to do that this time. I am not a professional reviewer, so please don't take it as such. Just a few of my thoughts on the gun.

I recently purchased a Ruger LCR .38 Special revolver and finally had a chance to get out and shoot it. The gun is very light @ 13.5 oz empty and does not feel much heavier loaded with its 5 rounds. I set my target at 21', 15' and 10'. With my sites on bulls-eye, I found myself shooting very high and very left @ all 3 distances. Of course my left-highs were a little less pronounced with each closer distance. But it was still disappointing. I do shoot better with my other 3 guns: Ruger GP100 .357 4", Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact 3", and Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver 6-1/2". However, I did notice that my shooting with the revolvers were high & left, but not as much as with the LCR and easier to correct with the .357 and .22 than the LCR. I guess it must be the short 1.875" barrel on the LCR that makes it tougher to shoot? As for the Springfield XD, I shoot that spot on. Back to the LCR, it has Hogue Tamer grips on it from the factory and they sure do a nice job handling the recoil. I was anticipating quite a jolt from this lightweight gun, but was pleasantly surprised that it was not a problem. As for concealability, the LCR conceals nicely IWB holster for a revolver. Feels ok in the pocket as well. One problem with this J frame (as many have called it) is finding a holster that fits right, as the trigger guard is bigger than the Smith's, and the LCR trigger guard does not seat in many J frame holsters correctly, exposing the trigger as well as not retaining the gun properly. I currently am using an Uncle Mike's Sidekick size 36 for IWB which seems to do the trick ok, and for OWB holster I am using the Soft Armor brand in size 15 that works fine as well. I would like to get myself a DeSantis leather thumb-break holster eventually, as I have one for the Springfield XD9 and absolutely love it. I guess that the important thing now is to get out and continue to practice with this LCR. I really like its size & weight for carry, I just need to get confident with it. Over all, I would buy this gun again.

Once I got rid of the CT grips and installed the Hogue's, IT was a lot of fun to shoot.

My only gripe was the front sight left a lot to be desired.

I ended up getting an XS oversized front. It makes all the difference now. I am able to keep all five in the center of the target at 12 yds.

-Docc

The fallacy with stubies and sights is that you can be accurate with them and they are functional. The day I stopped worrying about the sights on my 'J' frames was the day that I truly embraced instinctive shooting and concentrated on center mass...not a 10 ring or the "x" on a 25yd pistol target. Good review on the LCR...I love mine and would recommend practicing on instinctive point and shoot techniques at 10 yds and less. That's truly the range that your new concealable will be effectively engaged in.

The XS gives the best of both worlds with my LCR.

I have the big ball to keep it pointed straight, and assist where my hand points!

All my defense practice is on a B29. I have always practiced on a smaller rather than larger target.

-Doc

The XS gives the best of both worlds with my LCR.

I have the big ball to keep it pointed straight, and assist where my hand points!

All my defense practice is on a B29. I have always practiced on a smaller rather than larger target.

-Doc

Where did you purchase the XS sights? Sounds like they are worth the money?

I forgot to say anything about the trigger. I don't have much experience with what a good or bad trigger might be, but the trigger on this LCR seems to me to be very smooth from start to finish. Does not seem to be as stiff as my Ruger GP100(in DA), but a little stiffer than my Springfield XD. So fo whatever that is worth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back