Female Pistol Instructors needed!

So...you made the step into the 'guys' gun world and you did great. No more hurdles or funny looks on the range, no more "Here, I'll help ya shoot" comments either. Very nice. Now you can relax and get to practice or training to get better.

What do you do after that?

You can go find an IDPA or IPSC shoot and have fun.....

You can go and talk all of your friends into getting handguns (or long guns) and learning to shoot - just like you did....

What about----------------------becoming an NRA Certified Instructor?

No way, you say?

Why not?

You've gained some valuable experience in your journey. You learned how much fun the shooting sports can be, so why not share that experience and teach more women to shoot?

If you possess the basic Knowledge, Skills, and Attitude to safely handle and shoot a handgun, then you can become an instructor!!

Rochester Personal Defense, LLC, one of New York State's biggest proponents of women in the shooting sports, is holding an NRA Pistol Instructor workshop on July 23, 24, and 25 (evening on July 23, and all day on the 24th and 25th) in Dansville, NY. The cost is low, only 200.00, but the experience and the confidence you will gain will be immeasureable!!!

Visit the RPD, LLC website at: Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York for more information and to register.

Feel free to call us at 585-749-7650 as well.

We'd love to see you there!!!

Dave

I am here to say as far as the mechanics of shooting 10 women are going to better 10 guys any day of the week, properly trained, the may even make better instructors

Unfortunately, they way NY laws are, it's tough for a non resident to come to NY and enjoy shooting unless you are coming for a competition.......I wish they had the exemption for training in an NRA course

NRA Training Link

How can women in other states look into this?
I live LOOOONG way from NY:pleasantry:
Fondis

Hey Fondis, here's a link to NRA training info for ya:
Become an NRA Certified Instructor

I'm a Recruiter & Instructor and really enjoy sharing this critical knowledge. Everyone at the NRA have gone above and beyond to train and encourage me along the way.
I agree with Rocketgeezer too, some of the best (relatively untrained) shots were females, many seem to be "lethal naturals"....lol

Thanks to Dave for educating those NYers! Let us know if we can help at all from NC!

I have another question about being an instructor....
If my husband & I were to do some team teaching, or if he were assisting in my classes will he need to be certified too, or can we work off my certification?
I did find a class coming up July 10-11, but I don't have enough $$ for both of us to go.
Fondis

I have another question about being an instructor....
If my husband & I were to do some team teaching, or if he were assisting in my classes will he need to be certified too, or can we work off my certification?
I did find a class coming up July 10-11, but I don't have enough $$ for both of us to go.
Fondis

Good ???....the NRA is very specific as you'll find during your upcoming training; they require anyone providing NRA instruction to be Certified. However, my husband is not yet Certifed but does provide invaluable non instructional support preparing & placing targets and acts as a 2nd set of safety eyes. He also acts as a demonstration volunteer and will model various holsters, grips, stances, etc for class as I discuss them. There's plenty he can help with while you're teaching, until he's Certified. Hope this is helpful, hollar if I can help at all! :pleasantry:

Thanks Crystal,
I think I will proceed with this. I'm afraid I have one door about to close, and this could be the door opening on the other side for me. I also plan to go to Front Sight for pistol training this fall I want to be the best and safest shooter I can be.
Fondis

I signed up!

I signed up for the class July 10-11! :biggrin:
I didn't exactly have a spare $400 hanging around, but it doesn't look like there were are any other classes scheduled in my area for the rest of the year except one other next month that is $100 more than this one so I just did it. :wacko:
Wish me luck.
Fondis

Just Finished the Training!

I just got home from my Basic Pistol Instructor Training course... I was able to get my husband to enroll at the last minute since we sold his old car and had the cash. :girl_wink:

I was a little dissapointed at how disorganized the training counselors were, but I got a lot of good info and I feel confident that I can successfully teach the class. :triniti:

It looks like the hardest part is going to be recruiting the students. The first year will be most expensive with some of the props & equipment I'll want, but I think I will enjoy this and want to continue on getting other ratings.:dance3:
Fondis

Great to hear you did the class!!! I am sorry to learn that the TC was disorganized though. From my point of view, this is actually an easy task - when done right.

As for getting the students, it may be easier than you think. The NRA's instructor website is a great tool, use your contacts at the local gun clubs, use a web site, post on the local forums, get in tight with the local PD and licensing authorities, much much more.

You don't have to start off immediately with a ton of props and stuff (but it is cool to have lots of extra toys!) just look to get the basics and get comfortable with that. What I did is figure if everything crapped out on me - powerpoint, computer, even electricity - then how can I do the class? Work on the basics until you are good, then step up a little more and then more until you have it where you want it. It will be easier that way as opposed to running with all the goodies and getting yourself confused.

I'll toss my 2 cents in when you need. PM me and I'll get you my contact info so that if you ever have a question or need anything, You can reach me if you'd like.

Congratulations!!!!!!

Shake n bake

I HOPE I AM NOT OUT OF LINE HERE BUT,,,i was in a local gun shop the other day,,,lol,,, just looking,but i noticed a woman at the counter shaking this hand gun,, the man waiting on her had a wtf look on his face like what are you doing??the lady replayed,,,I'M CHECKING TO SEE IF ITS LOADED!!!!!the man COM LY explained its not a bb gun,,,,to make a long story short he sold her that gun + 2 boxes of shells,, there are people out there need some training,,and the guy that sold that gun SHOULD of knew better but it was a sale even though the new way to check a loaded pistol was a indication that a safety course was needed,,,,things like this worry me,, if shy kills some one there is another -on hand guns,hope her husband knows a little more!!!I HOPE I'M NOT OUT OF LINE ON THIS,,,

I HOPE I AM NOT OUT OF LINE HERE BUT,,,i was in a local gun shop the other day,,,lol,,, just looking,but i noticed a woman at the counter shaking this hand gun,, the man waiting on her had a wtf look on his face like what are you doing??the lady replayed,,,I'M CHECKING TO SEE IF ITS LOADED!!!!!the man COM LY explained its not a bb gun,,,,to make a long story short he sold her that gun + 2 boxes of shells,, there are people out there need some training,,and the guy that sold that gun SHOULD of knew better but it was a sale even though the new way to check a loaded pistol was a indication that a safety course was needed,,,,things like this worry me,, if shy kills some one there is another -on hand guns,hope her husband knows a little more!!!I HOPE I'M NOT OUT OF LINE ON THIS,,,

No your not out of line at all, my permit instructor, who is a very long time instructor, and a dep sherriff, and operates a gun shop, was telling me a women came into his shop sometime back and said she wanted to buy a gun, he said ok what did you have in mind revolver, semi auto, caliber ? she says WHAT, like he was talking greek to her, he did sell her a gun, a smith snubby, can't get much more strait forward than that, and also told her it would be best if she took a handgun course before she went shooting:fie:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back