Fema

Venatius

First I would like to thank everyone that responds to these forums they give me great information.

Now for the subject, me and some friends were talking and the subject came up about Katrina, that during the Hurricane FEMA had the authority under the law and did confiscate all personal Firearms, Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, etc in the disaster area. Some are still trying to get their guns back, does anyone know if this was true and if FEMA or any federal agency has the authority to confiscate firearms during a declared emergency/disaster? if you would please cite references if possible or direct me to cases where this had happened,if it has happened.

I am sorry I find it hard to believe that my Government would want to confiscate my weapons in a time of need, or for any reason for that matter.

Thanks, Robert

My guns are my guns, period.
There is no agency that will remove my property without a fight.
No cite or link, just me telling you what I would do...
Link Removed

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

First I would like to thank everyone that responds to these forums they give me great information.

Now for the subject, me and some friends were talking and the subject came up about Katrina, that during the Hurricane FEMA had the authority under the law and did confiscate all personal Firearms, Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, etc in the disaster area. Some are still trying to get their guns back, does anyone know if this was true and if FEMA or any federal agency has the authority to confiscate firearms during a declared emergency/disaster? if you would please cite references if possible or direct me to cases where this had happened,if it has happened.

I am sorry I find it hard to believe that my Government would want to confiscate my weapons in a time of need, or for any reason for that matter.

Thanks, Robert

...and what rock have you been hiding under?

Ya think if he googled he'd a found anything? Naaa, way to easy.
AND.....It's my friends and I.

I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but just in case, I've got this by my pepper spray:

Link Removed

I don't mean to be impolite, but why are you asking us to do the web search for you? Is it you've searched without success, or you'd simply prefer someone else to do the keystrokes on your behalf and feed you the information via a post? Your last sentence can't possibly be taken seriously, so it must have been intended as an exquisite piece of irony.

To answer your question, although all the ones prior are pretty funny (especially the troll spray), absolutely no government agency has authority under any color of authority to take your firearms nor do they have authority to deprive you of any constitutional right. Now that does not mean they are not currently looking for loopholes.

Geez, I was not expecting that kind of a response by some:confused: I wasn't really sure if I even wanted to re-post anything. I thought that I was posting something into the forum that would maybe, begin a discussion on the matter, thinking that I was posting to like minded people. Yes, I did do some research on the matter and as a matter fact had already read the link that someone had already posted. What I was looking for was personal experiences, maybe a resource that I did not now about. I mean isn't that what "Forums" are for? aren't they also a part of "Research"? I don't think that it was necessary to degrade or insult someone, like calling someone a "Troll" if you did not have something to post then don't respond, the best response in that case is nothing.

Yes, the last sentence in my first post was mostly a Sarcastic statement. Also, if I have offended anyone either on my first post or this one I am sincerely sorry. Lastly, if I am misunderstanding those posts please let me know, I don't want to be a Troll:haha::smile:

Geez, I was not expecting that kind of a response by some:confused: I wasn't really sure if I even wanted to re-post anything. I thought that I was posting something into the forum that would maybe, begin a discussion on the matter, thinking that I was posting to like minded people. Yes, I did do some research on the matter and as a matter fact had already read the link that someone had already posted. What I was looking for was personal experiences, maybe a resource that I did not now about. I mean isn't that what "Forums" are for? aren't they also a part of "Research"? I don't think that it was necessary to degrade or insult someone, like calling someone a "Troll" if you did not have something to post then don't respond, the best response in that case is nothing.

Yes, the last sentence in my first post was mostly a Sarcastic statement. Also, if I have offended anyone either on my first post or this one I am sincerely sorry. Lastly, if I am misunderstanding those posts please let me know, I don't want to be a Troll:haha::smile:

Let's give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not. Cool.

The fact of the matter is that if you type "gun confiscation katrina" in a Google search, you get this:

Link Removed

Your questions asked if this confiscation was even true and if so, are people still trying to get their guns back.

Yes, and yes.

The first link on that Google search is an article of someone's personal experience.
The next link is the link I gave you from Wikipedia.
The next link is almost 8 minutes of someone describing what happened. (I'm not posting the link, because I don't want the video embedded in this thread)
The next link is an article on the suit the NRA settled in 2008 about it.
The next link is an Link Removedfrom the Blaze asking the question can the government steal your weapons.

I'm not going on, hopefully you get the point, that this information is readily available with the slightest effort in Google. Hence, why so many thought you could be a troll.

To answer your question, although all the ones prior are pretty funny (especially the troll spray), absolutely no government agency has authority under any color of authority to take your firearms nor do they have authority to deprive you of any constitutional right. Now that does not mean they are not currently looking for loopholes.

Nor will a lack of authority stop them from doing so, either.

Not to worry, newcomers can be treated harshly, and in my opinion, unfairly by some here in a knee jerk response if you hit their particular tripwire. Post as you will, feel free to express your opinion and position with logic and common sense with citations of facts you're proclaiming and ignore those who lead with personal insults and straw man arguments without having properly assessed your position. Not always common, but it does happen. You need not apologize for any sincere and thoughtful post, in my opinion.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back