Fellow WA, OR, ID, hunters.

Wesco

hello everyone I am a new hunter. I have been hunting for 2 years with very little to no luck. there are not many good places to go hunting here in washington without running into a hunter behind every tree I don't have any friends or family who hunt and I'm looking for hunting companions to go along with and hopefully learn a thing or 2 from.

Well, I am not sure where you are from, where you are hunting at, but here are a few tips, From a former Oregon hunter of 25 years.

You want to be at least 2-4 hours drive from any large metro area. The farther the better. (Make sure to have the proper tags for the area you are hunting, not sure about Wa but Oregon is very specific.)

Plan and scout around, the more you scout the better your odds are.

Don't hunt the roads, get out and walk the game trails.

Camp where you plan on hunting.

Don't expect to get anything. The black tailed deer is a rather elusive little thing. I have talked to hunters and guides that have stated hunting black tailed deer is kinda like hunting Bigfoot. Until you run nose to nose you are not going to even know they are there. ( I am not saying I believe in Bigfoot but using it as a point of reference.)

Hunting the west side of Oregon and Washington is going to be really wet. and the visibility is going to be very limited.

Try and enjoy the Pacific North Wet hunting.

thanks for the info. I have been trying over in eastern wa, around the naches area, and up toward republic washington. washington is also very specific on tags in certain areas, but finding reliable people to come along with me to really get in deep and do some good hunting has been difficult. and it is so expensive to go out of state.

Every deer I have harvested has been by accident. Just happened to find one while enjoying the great outdoors.

Deer and Elk in Washington during the modern rifle season are elusive buggers. Eastern Washington is your best bet for mule deer and elk. White tails are best found on the Western Washington side. Some good advice has already been given by Strayz, but I want to add that scouting high in the mountains out of season is the best way to find the herds. As the weather turns to crap, they start to move into the lower regions and wind protected draws and valleys. Also look for food plots and or start developing food plots with "Throw and Grow" or "Swamp Donkey". Most people I know who hunt in Washington have switched to bow hunting, because of less hunting pressure and more opportunities to take either sex.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back