FEG PA-63 9x18 Makarov... Hmm... What do you know about 'em?

gunnerbob

PEW Professional
I came across one of these today at a LGS. It's in pretty good condition for a surplus weapon, comes with two mags and is at an asking price of $279. I know that this is a wee bit high for such a weapon considering an FFL holder can get them from AIM or J&G for less but, I'm not in that boat. Now, I'll tell you... I've been hovering in the market for a 9x18mm pistol, something small enough to be a CCW if I so desired. I've got a thing for Soviet ammunition and this is one I don't currently use... so, I'm not interested in discussing the shortcomings of the loading. I have seen one or two CZ-82s around but those are hovering in the $350-$400+ range... for a surplus weapon. I'm looking for sub-$300 almost exclusively... so this seems about it.

I've read that the DA triggers are on the, err... heavy side, at around 16lbs (+/- 1lb). However, a Wolff trigger kit runs about $5 plus S&H and changes it to a 9lb pull. This is pretty good for any pistol and, I've read, enhances accuracy greatly. So, I'd like to hear what current & former owners, as well as casual range-day users know about this weapon. What are your likes, dislikes and overall opinions of the FEG PA-63?

Thanks, peeps...

Definitely do the recoil/hammer springs. It makes it a bit harder to rack but lessens the recoil. It makes the DA manageable and the SA quite good. Still it is a 9x18 blowback design with a wispy light alloy frame. 9x18 is rather authoritative in a blowback design. If you shoot 50 plus rounds, you will begin to regret it in the meat of your hand in the vicinity of the webbing between thumb and trigger finger. They are fun to shoot till then.

The sights suck, the grips suck (the thumbrest part), but what else is new.

Do not use over 95 grain ammo, it can reportedly damage or crack the frame. By the way, most European 9Mak marked 95 grain actually measures out to 93 grain. Common Euro bullet spec is 6 grams (or 92.6 gr). Don't axe me why they label it 95gr, but they do just that.

I found some smooth walnut Marschal grips with the FEG logo and they work fantastic for me.

A thorough detail strip and cleaning/lubing really helped mine. It felt/operated like a different firearm after. I did smooth and slightly polish the trigger bar and channel before reassembly.

I would shoot a box of ammo through one (maybe borrowed?) if possible before buying. The regular Makarov PM or a CZ82 will be a much more pleasant shooter and in my opinion this is almost completely due to the extra weight.mass of the steel frames. So if you are buying to plink or target shoot, go for the steel. If you are trying to put this into a carry rotation, and it's just gotta be 9x18 then the PA63 has a definite advantage. It is very slim (with flat grips) light and concealable.
Personally, if I had to carry this, I would not carry this chambered. But I do not trust the decocker slamming the hammer on the safety/cylinder. I use the decocker, but catch the hammer for a soft landing on this and my Walther PP & PPK. It's probably safe enough, but why beat the damn thing to death?

I bought mine much cheaper than they are now as a sort of beater/experiment gun. When it came, it had beautiful bluing and, once the grips were replaced, has turned into a much nicer looking piece than I anticipated. I just couldn't make a beater out of it. I have so many better, safer, more potent weapons to carry that I will likely never carry it. I was planning to leave it in the glovebox based mainly on the purchase price but I can't bring myself to leave a firearm in a vehicle. I'd be just about as pissed if it got stolen as any of my other pistols.

I like my angry little Hungarian.

I had a FEG-63 about 5 years ago but sold it.

When I had mine, I liked the mean spirited little bastard as I called it. It has quite a snappy recoil, but I could shoot center of mass at 25 yards (yes, yards). When I purchased mine I paid $140 with two mags. When you said $279 I nearly fell off my chair.

Here's a link for springs to adjust the recoil: Springs for FEG Semi-Auto Pistols I echo what the previous poster said.

Also here's a link for a review of the FEG-PA 63: PA 63 -

And for other pricing for the same firearm: $265 For Sale or Trade FEG PA-63 (9mm Makarov) With Extras in akron / canton, Ohio gun classifieds -gunlistings.org

I didn't realize the FEG PA 63 had gone up so much in price. That's nearly doubled in 5 years. I should have kept mine.

I have only fondled a PA-63 and not shot one. In 9x18 Mak I would prefer a CZ-82, Makarov or Polish P-83. The CZ is the largest 9x18 pistol available and is fun to shoot. My Bugarian milsurp Mak is not fun to shoot with the standard military grips. After three magazines my strong hand was feeling abused. Rubber after market grips are available and help with felt recoil, I have one on my Bulgarian commercial Makarov. The Polish Radom P-83 is available in two editions, standard and special edition. Comparable in size to the Makarov, the P-83 field strips similarly, and carries 8 rounds like a Makarov but without the hand-slap like the Mak. For CCW I prefer the Radom after hearing about the recoil of the FEG. Here is another article on the P-63: Makarov.com - Other Pistols

My special edition P-83

Link Removed

Well, I picked it up... I'm happy with it thus far. I'll run it through it's paces this weekend. I got two mags and a box of S&B with it, at the listed price of $279 + tax. Not too awfully bad... I'll get pics soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back