Federal Lake City 5.56 XM193 or Prvi Partizan m193

cmiles5

I am looking to buy some bulk ammo and have narrowed it down to Federal Lake City xm193 or Prvi Partizan m193. I have no experience with either and was wonder if anyone on here has any input on either of the 2 or has any other recommendations. I am also looking to get some m855 so any input would be appreciated!

Lake City is a commercial version of the M193 military load. And Prvi is overall well-rated, but I've never used it. Both are great quality from everything I have heard, but I've only ever owned Lake City and PMC. I guess it really depends on if you want to buy american.

I have read reports that the M193 is a better performer because it has a higher fragmentation rate. The M855 has a steel core same as the SS109. The M193 has a 55gr projectile traveling at 3250fps while the M855 weighs in at 62gr and 3025fps. I have shot all three rounds through my AR and I can't really tell a difference but I'm not on the receiving end.

I have shot the Privi as well as the XM855, I just bought some 193 and have not shot it yet. Between the Privi and the XM855, I find that the 855 feels like its loaded hotter. Now this could just be perception. When it comes to price the federal stuff is a little more pricy, I can get 400 privy for around $140, and 420 Xm855 for about 160-170. The XM193 I got 500 for $190. So all
In the same range.

Thanks for the replies, I have read on other threads people stating that they feel lake city is loaded hotter than Prvi. Kingolis how does the PMC match up compared to Lake City I have not had a chance to shoot it before but was also leaning toward buying some PMC. Kalamity I read on other threads that the red primer on the Prvi tends to flake and dirty up the chamber, is this true?

If the red ring around the primer left the chamber more dirty, I sure never noticed it. No more dirty than any other ammo. I usually blow off between 200-500 rounds in my AR per session. The PMC shoots similarly as the Privi IMHO. The only ammo I've had issues with is Wolf. Polymer over the steel casing stuck in the chamber, the extractor could not rip it out; eventually I had to replace the extractor buffer and spring due to failure. I'm sure this failure was due to the extractor jamming up on the hard steel.

I'd buy the XM855 if I can, XM193 is my second choice, and Privi or PMC is 3rd. Now whats really going to blow your mind is PMC has both 55 and 62gr "XTAC" which appears to have the same characteristics as the XM193 and XM855.

Having and shot, both M193 FMJ-BT & M855 LAP (from both manufactures, Lake City and PMC), I do not see a difference. Both have a clean and consistant finished product. Have not seen any signs of runout from either. I only have a few M855 Lake City and a few PMC M193 if you would like some photos. I think you will do very well, and be very happy, with either. I always mak a point to buy the Lake City, when I can, to support American businesses.

As a side note, my buddy swears by the Winchester Rangers. I have yet to try a box.

Happy hunting.

I am looking to buy some bulk ammo and have narrowed it down to Federal Lake City xm193 or Prvi Partizan m193. I have no experience with either and was wonder if anyone on here has any input on either of the 2 or has any other recommendations. I am also looking to get some m855 so any input would be appreciated!

Both are good rounds, Privi should be cheaper depending on where you get it. I use their 7x57 Mauser and have had nothing but good results.

M193 was intended to be used in the 20" barrel M16/A1/A2 to get the most fragmentation, the M855 is a heavier round meant for use in the 14.5-16" barrel M4... the shorter barrel limits velocity at range thus causing less fragmentation. So, by making the round heavier you can offset this problem somewhat. The light weight of the 5.56x45mm generally requires fragmentation to be most effective, it can't rely on sheer mass to be reliable at range like a most .30 caliber weapons.

Generally, the shorter the barrel the heavier the round you want to use out of a 5.56x45mm AR platform to get the most fragmentation. You should check out AR15.com for more accurate information. But, at the end of the day... get what's cheapest b/c the rounds on target the better. I buy bulk Tulammo .223 polymer coated steel case... however, I prefer 7.62x39mm and shoot that a lot more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back