Federal Champion 45 ACP 230 Gr FMJ

Thinking about buying a quantity of these. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about this particular brand or load?

Just need some blasting ammo.

KK

The Federal Champion is great, I use it all the time. There was a recall a while back for some that got overloaded, but most of that is back at Federal now. I have never had any problems with any of it. 9mm or 45acp.

I bought 1,000 Federal Champion .45 acp 230 gr fmj from Natchez at $14.99 per box. (great price)
I have shot it from a Kimber, a springfield, a sig p-220 & a taurus pt-145
flawless operation in all 4 guns. Accuracy at the range was good. I clean my weapon after shooting so any opinion on the cleanlinesss of the ammo is not an issue!
I will buy more.

Last edited:

Thinking about buying a quantity of these. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about this particular brand or load?

Just need some blasting ammo.

KK

If not buying bulk ammo elsewhere, I buy this ammo at the local WalMart which is listed for under $20 per 50. Shoots great without issues. Doesn't gunk the gun up, no FTEs. I say blast away. :)

Federal Champion ammo in 45 acp uses small pistol primers. Being a reloader and getting brass mixed with large primer brass is not something I wish to deal with. For about the same price you can get American Eagle also made by Federal and uses the large primer.
If you do not reload both are made well use what ever has the best price.

That is my gripe with it as well. I bought one box and found out the hard way when I opened it that it had small pistol primers. As far as I'm concerned that makes the ammo useless to me because I reload all of my brass. I'm not about to start segregating my .45 ACP brass because of different primer sizes. I shot the one box and let the brass fly. I won't be buying anymore of it. As you said, for about the same cost you can buy American Eagle and not have to deal with it.

I think the recall last year was for Federal's American Eagle line and not the Champion. I've fired a recent batch I picked from Walmart and thought that it was loaded rather light. I guess this is fine for target use, but wouldn't rely on it for SD, especially if your gun is set up with a heavier recoil spring. As mentioned in a previous post, the brass uses small pistol primers so you'd have to separate the spent casings from other .45 brass before reloading. Speaking for myself, I don't bother with it any more. I much rather have Federal AE when it's available at a decent price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back