Favorite .40 factory loads?

buckGR

I've seen some lists on other forums, based on fbi test standards, what does everyone here prefere for HD/CCW factory loads in
40s&w witb a 4in barrel?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I carry 180 grain federal hydra shok JHP. I also like Hornady Critical duty.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Federal HST 180gr in my .40, and 147gr followed by 124gr (+P) in my 9mm. Can't go wrong with the HST in any caliber and any barrel length. I believe one well-known ammo reviewer used the word perfect time and time again for the rounds he fired and examined.

I like the 135grn CorBon rounds.
A blistering 1326fps from a 4" barrel with 526fpe!
Next is my old standard, the 155grn Winchester SilverTip.
Those are 1205fps from a 4" barrel with 500fpe.
Either one will ruin your day!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

When I do carry .40 I like either the 155 or 165 grain loads. Speer makes the Gold Dot in 2 different speeds of the 165 grain version. The ATK ammo site has ballistics information and pictures on Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot ammo that has been shot through all kinds of material for LE testing. These official tests vary sometime from what you will see on YouTube. Our State Police carry the 155 grain Speer Gold Dot. I see people in the habit of swearing by Hornady ammo. It sometimes does work as designed which is a lower powered load getting penetration from being restricted on its expansion. I don't want to be shot with it but there are not any large LE agencies that use it. Below is a picture of a 124 grain Federal HST next to a 135 grain Critical Duty that did work as designed. As you can see it is becoming outdated in its design. Do some research on your own and decide what makes you comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Winchester rangers in both 40's. I like the expansion rate and the lighter load lets you get multiple shots on target faster.

Mine is Hornady CD 165 FTX. I have rem 155 and 180 HTPs on hand.

That's in my Sig P250 and HP 4095TS carbine.

On the rare occasion that I carry the 40, I carry Underwood Ammo

Technical Information
Caliber: 40 S&W
Bullet Weight: 135 Grains
Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
Muzzle Energy: 588 ft. lbs.

My EDC is a G29 10mm with Underwood Ammo

Technical Information
Caliber: 10mm Auto
Bullet Weight: 135 Grains
Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps
Muzzle Energy: 767 ft. lbs.

Howdy,

I carry Rem. Golden Sabre 180gr. Back in the "Day" I carried the Win 180gr Black Talon. I still have them but they are over 20 years old so I've replaced them with the GS.

Paul

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back