Fatal Detroit shooting (Victim fires back)

glock 27

Details emerge in fatal shooting in Detroit
Victim was hit, but returned fire
By GINA DAMRON and ELISHA ANDERSON
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Comments (151) Recommend (3) Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share
Facebook Twitter FarkIt Digg Del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine Buzz up!Omar Mixon –the man who shot and killed an alleged would-be carjacker—was released from the hospital today, his wife said today.

He was pumping gas into his black Escalade when a man with a gun came up from behind.

"I want your truck -- give it to me now," the alleged carjacker told him, according to Mixon's wife, Brenda Mixon, who spoke with him afterward.
Moments later, bullets started flying about 7 p.m. Tuesday outside of the Detroit gas station on Fenkell near Schaefer.
Omar Mixon, 37, of Detroit was struck in several places, but returned fire, killing the would-be carjacker. The suspect was identified by the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office as 20-year-old Kenyon Reese Jr.
Mixon's wife said he was struck by bullets under his eye, in an arm, in a leg, through his hip and through his backside. She said he was being treated at Sinai-Grace Hospital, but was later relocated to another unidentified hospital.
Mixon had a license to carry a concealed weapon, his wife and police said.
Detroit Police Sgt. Eren Stephens, a spokeswoman for the department, said it appears the victim -- whose name the police had not released as of early Wednesday evening -- shot in self-defense.
"But that will have to come officially from the prosecutor," she said.
Stephens said police plan to turn over information on the case to the Prosecutor's Office today.
Police confirmed that Mixon was with another woman and a 5-year-old child at the time of the shooting. But Brenda Mixon, 36, told the Free Press that she and her children were not with him when the incident occurred.
Lonya Smoot said she heard the gunshots when she was in the gas station buying a lottery ticket Tuesday night, playing her favorite four digits: 1-0-1-1.
"The manager said, 'Hit the floor!" Smoot said. "And that's what I did."
The station attendant, she said, locked the doors from the inside, but a woman inside who was with the carjacking victim yelled, "Oh my god! That's my man!" and he let her outside.
Smoot said the other woman came back in with another younger woman and a child. Smoot said she believes both were in the SUV when the would-be carjacker tried to steal the vehicle.
The victim, who was shot, came in "and he was bleeding everywhere," but started calling 911 on his cell phone.
The woman who was in the gas station when the shooting started was holding the man, telling him, "Everything will be OK," Smoot said.
Brenda Mixon said she doesn't know who was with her husband, who initially denied that there was another woman present.
Right now, Mixon said, she wants to focus on getting her husband of 10 years and father of her two children better.
"When he gets better, then I will talk to him about everything else," she said. "That's my husband, that's my heart, that's my best friend right there."
She said she's glad her husband was carrying a gun.
"Whoever has a CCW, do not be afraid to use it," she said.
But, she added, "do not shoot out of anger."

Read more: Details emerge in fatal shooting in Detroit | freep.com | Detroit Free Press Link Removed

Outstanding story, but it is too bad that the victim had to suffer those wounds. From what I read Omar Mixon had no choice in the matter. Either defend yourself or suffer the loss of vehicle (minor detail) and/or lose you life in the carjacking process.

This is what all of us train for, and ccw for. I do hope that the victim fully recovers.

Its not safe to assume that if you give up what your attacker is demanding - he will let you live.

Countless stories of thugs who shoot a helpless victim just for fun after taking the cash or vehicle.

Bottom line - if someone points a gun at me - they have given up all rights to fair warning or benefit of the doubt. they have put me into a me or them situation.

Outstanding story, but it is too bad that the victim had to suffer those wounds. From what I read Omar Mixon had no choice in the matter. Either defend yourself or suffer the loss of vehicle (minor detail) and/or lose you life in the carjacking process.

This is what all of us train for, and ccw for. I do hope that the victim fully recovers.

That just proves, NEVER go anywhere without your weapon!

If he had not been armed he might not be alive right now.

There should be a fund that helps families of ccws or anybody that goes through something like this, to help with the medical bills and what not.

He just took a scumbag off the streets and that scumbag can never hurt anyone again.

The world is a dangerous place. Everyone should be prepared to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back