Fast Access Handgun Box/Safe

901-Memphis

I am looking into getting a handgun safe that is under $200 and can be accessed via fingerprint or if need be a keypad. I am looking for very quick entry of my loaded gun, but keeping it out of my kids hands.

Any recommendations? I have googled this extensively but i don't have any experience with the products so input is welcomed!

This is the only thing i have seen that interested me.

Link Removed

I think they are a great idea if you have kids in the house.. Just make sure it's bolted down somewhere so that if you are out of the house, someone doesn't walk off with the whole safe..

Make sure it's something you can get into within 5 seconds or so and that you can do in the dark...

There was a thread post, a couple of days ago, for a guy on this site that created a search engine for ammo.. He had a couple of these safes on his site (actually they were Amazon.com ads), if it's the same or cheaper price, if you order it "through" his site, then he will make a little cha-ching, and you get just as good or better deal.. Just a thought on helping someone out that was not trying to gouge the rest of us..

I am looking into getting a handgun safe that is under $200 and can be accessed via fingerprint or if need be a keypad. I am looking for very quick entry of my loaded gun, but keeping it out of my kids hands.

Any recommendations? I have googled this extensively but i don't have any experience with the products so input is welcomed!

I've been using a GunVault Mini-Deluxe for several years now. This model uses a fingertip combination keypad. I keep it under my bed where I can open the safe and remove my gun in less than 5 seconds. It's large enough for my full-size 1911 with a rail-mounted laser/light and several spare magazines. I'm anal about changing the 8 AA batteries every 6 months...whether they need it or not. This model also has a motion sensor that sounds an alarm if someone moves the GunVault...great for when you have visitors in the house.

I considered a biometric keypad safe but opted not to get one because (1) the cost was unacceptable and (2) I wasn't sure if a skin injury and/or bandaged finger would prevent me from opening the safe.

Good luck!

Link Removed

I've been using a GunVault Mini-Deluxe for several years now. This model uses a fingertip combination keypad. I keep it under my bed where I can open the safe and remove my gun in less than 5 seconds. It's large enough for my full-size 1911 with a rail-mounted laser/light and several spare magazines. I'm anal about changing the 8 AA batteries every 6 months...whether they need it or not. This model also has a motion sensor that sounds an alarm if someone moves the GunVault...great for when you have visitors in the house.

I considered a biometric keypad safe but opted not to get one because (1) the cost was unacceptable and (2) I wasn't sure if a skin injury and/or bandaged finger would prevent me from opening the safe.

Good luck!

Link Removed

Do the keys make a noise or a loud noise when pressing the buttons? Also what type of bulb is in the interior of that, is it and led bulb? I imagine if it was any other type of bulb, that would be the biggest drain on your batteries.

Do the keys make a noise or a loud noise when pressing the buttons? Also what type of bulb is in the interior of that, is it and led bulb? I imagine if it was any other type of bulb, that would be the biggest drain on your batteries.

My model, the Mini-Deluxe, produces a noise each time a keypad is pressed. The tone isn't loud per se, but an intruder could possibly hear it when the house is otherwise quiet. This model addresses that concern as it includes the option of turning off the keypad sound and/or motion alarm. The interior light is an incandescent lamp which remains on for 5 seconds when the safe is opened.

The manufacturer recommends replacing the batteries every year. When I did my research, staff at my local gun shop complained "the batteries are always dead in these things when you need access to the gun." Personally, it seemed like no one monitored their batteries.

So as I previously indicated, I'm anal about ensuring I have power when I need it...I change the batteries every 6 months. I use the old batteries in other devices that aren't critical to home defense. Oh, I should mention, the Deluxe model also includes an AC/DC power adapter. Between the power adapter and the battery back-up, I've always been able to access my gun. I've been using the GunVault for 26 months.

My only connection to GunVault is as a owner of their product, which I purchased through Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have been looking into safes as well as I would like to store a firearm on the other side of the house but need to keep it locked down. I really don't want any combination safe as I am not sure my wife could deal with that under stress so I have been looking at biometric safes. Can't say I have found anything under $200 but here is a link to one just over $200...

Link Removed

I have been looking into safes as well as I would like to store a firearm on the other side of the house but need to keep it locked down. I really don't want any combination safe as I am not sure my wife could deal with that under stress so I have been looking at biometric safes. Can't say I have found anything under $200 but here is a link to one just over $200...

Link Removed

Almost 100% sure thats the one i posted in my first post for $170

Might get that one or the other one mentioned in this thread.

One thing i don't get about people letting their batteries die.... It says they have low battery indicators, so wouldn't it have a light or noise when its low? I guess you would have to have it away from your bedroom to not hear it going off or lighting up when low.

My model, the Mini-Deluxe, produces a noise each time a keypad is pressed. The tone isn't loud per se, but an intruder could possibly hear it when the house is otherwise quiet. This model addresses that concern as it includes the option of turning off the keypad sound and/or motion alarm. The interior light is an incandescent lamp which remains on for 5 seconds when the safe is opened.

The manufacturer recommends replacing the batteries every year. When I did my research, staff at my local gun shop complained "the batteries are always dead in these things when you need access to the gun." Personally, it seemed like no one monitored their batteries.

So as I previously indicated, I'm anal about ensuring I have power when I need it...I change the batteries every 6 months. I use the old batteries in other devices that aren't critical to home defense. Oh, I should mention, the Deluxe model also includes an AC/DC power adapter. Between the power adapter and the battery back-up, I've always been able to access my gun. I've been using the GunVault for 26 months.

My only connection to GunVault is as a owner of their product, which I purchased through Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

Read your owners manual. You should be able to turn that beep off if it is a GunVault Mini delux. Also, I access my safe at least two times a day and after 14 months I changed the batteries. They had enough juice to put them in a couple of flashlights that worked for another year. If the batteries are dead, it is the owners fault! Most safes also have a key for when the batteries do fail.

Still undecided. I have dedicated approx $200 max to this, and still searching for a good safe.

If anyone else has any more input on this, i would appreciate it. Hopefully buying within a week or so if i can make my mind up

I have the Barska

I just got the Barska safe from Amazon.com for $200.

Only time will tell on reliability, but so far so good. The safe opens very quickly probably less than 2 seconds. I used my index finger and scanned it about 10 different ways (the safe holds up to 30 fingerprint images). It has opened every time without any issue. I had my kids try it too, and they cannot get in.

This is a larger safe, so you can put a lot of stuff in it.

I have only seen positive reviews of this safe, and it has a year warranty. Prior to this I bought a Winchester vault e1200 that was battery powered and electricy powered. It worked fine for about three months, then it wouldn't open. (See the only review of it on amazon.com left by me). I researched quite a bit online and found that many electronic code safes break down (as this one did). There are some similar stories with GunVault.

I would recommend this safe with one caveat. The beep is loud when you use the safe. Barska does not have a way to turn off this sound. So if you don't mind the beep, you will like this safe.

I reject what-ifs about the safe not opening with bloody fingers. Wipe your finger on your shirt, then and open the safe. You can take these scenarios to such an extreme (what if the intruder hacks off my finger and uses it to open the safe or obtains a photocopy of my fingerprint?) Come on, people. Most of these safes that are $200 or less could probably be opened with the right tools in under 3 minutes.

To me, being able to reliably open the safe was the most important factor, and I did not find that with electronic key pad safes.

Hope this helps.

Cheap alternative

I know you are looking at the biometric models, but if you want to keep it simple I bought a Honeywell push button cash box that you can get a Wally World. I think they run about $30. Simple 4 button code with backup key and low battery light. 4AA batteries last about a year with daily use. No internal light, but I picked up one of the cheap "tap" lights and keep it in the drawer next to the safe.

It won't stop a thief, but keeps the kids safe.

It is $45 at Amazon: Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back