Fancy gap travel...help

BUSHBANGER

Ok I am doing the blue ridge parkway this weekend and was a little cornfused about the laws . I am from S.C and have a ccw . I will have a snub 44 mag as my concealed gun and was looking at my glock 17 as a bug . From my understanding the glock if not on my person will have to be unloaded and seperated from ammo??? Also if I am doing the parkway will I not have to hide the .44 at pic stops or is that just for residents of VA

Did the blue ridge trip last week and spoke with local LEO. and was told no probs. w/ ccw. I was in NC. parts, not sure of the rest of your trip. Have a good one Trees are awesome this time of year. No need to cover in NC open carry.

I have taken the parkway from fancy gap south to n.c ...great ride ...but this will be my 1st time going till the end north . I don't expect any problems but just want to make sure of my rights:biggrin:

Oh well I hope I dont get stopped because I will have my pistola on my side . Crime just does not happen in national parks . I will just take my chances:sarcastic:

Thats why I said "Legal"! I live across the road from a National Park and walk there quite a bit. Never know when you might run into a coyote. Also drive the parkway quite a bit. Just be careful and "don't ask don't tell".

Ok I am doing the blue ridge parkway this weekend and was a little cornfused about the laws . I am from S.C and have a ccw . I will have a snub 44 mag as my concealed gun and was looking at my glock 17 as a bug . From my understanding the glock if not on my person will have to be unloaded and seperated from ammo??? Also if I am doing the parkway will I not have to hide the .44 at pic stops or is that just for residents of VA

Just found this for you..........
full opinion at http://www.vawd.uscourts.gov/opinions/urbanski/mo.708po024gettier.pdf

Gun On Parkway - Notice To Drivers
May 12, 2008

A driver who had two loaded firearms in his vehicle, which was pulled after defendant failed to completely stop at a stop sign, cannot avoid conviction for having a loaded weapon in a vehicle on the Blue Ridge Parkway by claiming there was no posted notice that such possession was illegal, a Roanoke U.S. District judge says.

In U.S. v. Lofton, 233 F.3d 313 (4th Cir. 2000), the 4th Circuit decided a case very similar to this one. The defendant in Lofton argued, as defendant here does, that a national park was required to give notice of a prohibition against carrying weapons therein. The 4th Circuit rejected that argument.

At the center of this case is defendant’s concern that he is a law abiding citizen who owns firearms and is allowed to carry them in his car on the highways of Virginia pursuant to the Second Amendment and a concealed weapons permit issued under Virginia law. He contends he should have the same right to possess loaded guns in his car when driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Defendant argues the Blue Ridge Parkway is, in one respect, a road much like other roads in Virginia, bearing traffic which many travelers user as a highway between, for example, U.S. Routes 460 and 220 in the Roanoke area. But the Blue Ridge Parkway is not just a highway. While the parkway is in one sense a road, it is also a national park dotted with hiking trails, scenic overlooks, campgrounds and other attractions used by countless visitors. As such, the parkway is subject to federal law and regulation just as any other national park. To protect the safety of park visitors, the Department of the Interior has issued regulations concerning weapons, traps and nets in national parks. Lofton controls this case and compels denial of defendant’s motion for judgment of acquittal.

Defendant is convicted under 36 C.F.R. §§ 2.4(b) and 4.12.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back