FAMILY Shoots and Kills Intruder

Warning shots? I just can't wait for when a legal CC decides on a warning shot and hits an innocent. We would have to eliminate CC! It"s the only common sense thing to do. :wacko:
There's any number of stupid things a concealed carrier could do that would look bad. That would only be one. I think it's extremely presumptuous to assume any of those would result in the elimination of concealed carry.
I believe the law is not designed to encourage warning shots but to eliminate the abuse of legal gun owners by over zealous anti-gun DA's.
What law? There isn't a law about warning shots.
The primary part is also to protect the legal gun owner from brandishing charges.
Part of what? The law that doesn't exist? The firing of a warning shot wouldn't remotely resemble the act of brandishing. They are two very distinctly different things.

I'll give a 'for instance' since some people seem to be having trouble grasping the obvious. I won't use my current house because I live out in the country and it would be far too easy to demonstrate that a warning shot would be safe here.
This is a house I used to own in Omaha NE;
Link Removed Link Removed
The red circle on the back of the house is where the master bedroom was. It was directly on top of the family room. The house had a full basement. Actually it was a two level basement. The first level was below the kitchen (bay window on the back) and the living room (bay window on the front). The second level was below the family room. As I said earlier, I could have fired a warning shot in numerous directions within that house without ever endangering anyone else. First, I could have fired one straight up. Since I use a 45 with a relatively low muzzle velocity, it likely wouldn't have gone very far after passing through the ceiling and roof, even if it managed to get that far. But let's make this more interesting, and more realistic. If I were ever to fire a warning shot, and I probably never would, it's very unlikely I'd do it through the roof. It's easier to repair walls and floors than it is to repair roofs. Let's assume I was in the master bedroom of that house and wanted to warn off an intruder who was in the living room. If I wanted to fire off a warning shot, all I'd have to do is shoot straight down. If the bullet actually managed to penetrate both floors, and maybe furniture as well, it would end up as mushed lead on the basement floor. There would be zero danger to anyone else, either inside or outside of my house. There was nothing in that part of the house that the bullet might have ricocheted off of, and even if there had been it probably still would have ended up in the basement. That scenario would have also applied to the family room. You could have fired through the floors of any of those rooms, at any angle, without any chance of the bullet ever leaving the basement, simply by virtue of the construction of the house. You could have done it through certain parts of the walls with the same assurance of safety too. As for the living rooms and the other two bedrooms, it would depend on what angle you aimed the gun as to whether it would be safe or not. As I said earlier, there are literally thousands of different ways I could have fired a warning shot in that house without endangering a single soul, except maybe the intruder. So yes, it's absolutely possible. It's even easy in many circumstances. But don't confuse possible with advisable.
Now let's get a couple of things clear here. Am I advocating warning shots? No. Just like any self defense tactic, there is a time and a place for it, and I believe the time and place for a warning shot is probably a very rare event. But just as with every other self defense tactic, the only person who can best judge if it's appropriate or not is the person who is in that situation at the time. Will the decisions be correct 100% of the time? No. Is there any decision on self defense tactics that is correct 100% of the time? No. Is it appropriate for us to sit and armchair quarterback someone who makes a decision in an attempt to save their own life when they were there and we weren't? Absolutely not, and it surprises me that so many here are willing to do that. Certainly we should weigh in on options or alternatives. That's how we learn and cultivate our own tactical mindsets, which is of course a very good thing. But to sit and unequivocally proclaim that tactic B was not appropriate for scenario 12 when we weren't even there to see scenario 12? No way.

You are so full of crap. You can't pose a risk to people that aren't there. So far they haven't invented bullets that can change course in mid-trajectory. My last house was in a crowded subdivision. There were thousands of ways I could have fired a round inside without posing any threat whatsoever to my neighbors, and from any room in the house for that matter. I'm guessing you're a city dweller, because you seem to be clueless about houses in general.
It's also quite another thing to attempt to claim authoritativeness on a subject when even common sense is outside your grasp.

Ignorance is just a lack of knowledge.

Acting ignorant takes some affirmative effort by the person with a lack of knowledge.

Amish man jailed for firing shot into air that killed teen girl

MILLERSBURG, Ohio — An Ohio Amish man who fired a shot into the air that killed a 15-year-old girl more than a mile away has been sentenced to jail.

Yoder fired a shot into the air as he cleared his muzzle-loading rifle on Dec. 15. The round killed the girl, who was driving a horse-drawn buggy home from a Christmas party.

But...but..he lived in the country...where no one was around for a mile...how could anyone possible be injured by a shot into the air?

Ignorance is just a lack of knowledge.
Acting ignorant takes some affirmative effort by the person with a lack of knowledge.
Yes, you're proving that quite well.
Amish man jailed for firing shot into air that killed teen girl
MILLERSBURG, Ohio — An Ohio Amish man who fired a shot into the air that killed a 15-year-old girl more than a mile away has been sentenced to jail.
Yoder fired a shot into the air as he cleared his muzzle-loading rifle on Dec. 15. The round killed the girl, who was driving a horse-drawn buggy home from a Christmas party.
But...but..he lived in the country...where no one was around for a mile...how could anyone possible be injured by a shot into the air?
Ah, yes. The standard liberal ploy of changing the topic being discussed in order to avoid the fact that they've been proven wrong. I wasn't talking about firing muzzleloaders into the air in the country, nor did I say a person couldn't be injured by a shot into the air, but you were well aware of that. Do you want to go back to the topic we were discussing, or do you just want to display more of that affirmative ignorance you mentioned?

RHINO > > > > Do you really think that I believe that an errant "warning" shot would bring an end to concealed carry?
Got to be careful what I post because what is obvious to me seems not to be so obvious after all.
Warning shots? I just can't wait for when a legal CC decides on a warning shot and hits an innocent. We would have to eliminate CC! It"s the only common sense thing to do. Link Removed
Please read in context. I said "we". You really think when I said we it included myself? Do you actually think it is my sentiment that "It's the only common sense thing to do!" Haven't you heard that somewhere before? No not here. The final hint just might be the emoticon of the dizzy confused face at the end of my sentence. Don't be so presumptuous and assuming with all the hints in my statement that it is something I believe.
What I know is that if it were to happen, that errant warning shot would be a shot heard around the "ANTI" world!

Though it could be a prelude to what could happen depending on the next election cycle.

Forgive me for not catching the sarcasm. But my statement still stands about an errant warning shot hitting a bystander being no different than any other tragic mistake by a concealed carrier. They'd all be, as you put it, a 'shot heard around the anti world'. And there's all sorts of tragic mistakes that can be made by someone carrying a gun. An errant shot of any kind, not just a warning shot, would be ripe pickings for their propaganda machines.

Yes, you're proving that quite well.
Ah, yes. The standard liberal ploy of changing the topic being discussed in order to avoid the fact that they've been proven wrong. I wasn't talking about firing muzzleloaders into the air in the country, nor did I say a person couldn't be injured by a shot into the air, but you were well aware of that. Do you want to go back to the topic we were discussing, or do you just want to display more of that affirmative ignorance you mentioned?

Ah yes, the typical attempt to distinguish an analogous fact that makes your bold assertion look ignorant.

No, you cannot safely discharge a firearm into the air or into your floor or into the ground or any place else. Every discharge of a firearm has the risk of injury to both intended and unintended targets.

We can have an intelligent discussion as to what circumstances the law should recognize that such a risk is justifiable.

But if you are going to insists on sticking to the illogical and factually incorrect claim that you can safely discharge a firearm into your floor then the only intelligent discussion we can have is whether or not you should posses a firearm

Ah yes, the typical attempt to distinguish an analogous fact that makes your bold assertion look ignorant.
There's nothing analogous about muzzleloaders outdoors and handguns in a house. You are making assertions look ignorant, but unfortunately for you, they aren't my assertions.
No, you cannot safely discharge a firearm into the air or into your floor or into the ground or any place else. Every discharge of a firearm has the risk of injury to both intended and unintended targets.
Yeah. And the sun doesn't rise in the east.
We can have an intelligent discussion as to what circumstances the law should recognize that such a risk is justifiable.
You don't seem to want to have an intelligent discussion. And it isn't up to the government to decide what I can or can't do as long as I don't endanger others, which I wouldn't be doing.
But if you are going to insists on sticking to the illogical and factually incorrect claim that you can safely discharge a firearm into your floor then the only intelligent discussion we can have is whether or not you should posses a firearm
Are you counting the floor? In that case then no, it isn't safe for the floor. But it's safe for everyone else. But if you think it's so illogical and factually incorrect, then please, Einstein, use the pictures of my former house that I provided. Tell me who I would have endangered if I had fired a shot from my 45 straight into the floor from the master bedroom, living room or family room in that house. Your screename says nogods but apparently you think you are because you seem to think all bullets I could fire would change course after leaving the barrel. So I'm waiting to hear this omnipotent logic that you alone seem to possess, and that no one else in the world is aware of. Are angels going to sing when you post it?

There's nothing analogous about muzzleloaders outdoors and handguns in a house. You are making assertions look ignorant, but unfortunately for you, they aren't my assertions.
Yeah. And the sun doesn't rise in the east.
You don't seem to want to have an intelligent discussion. And it isn't up to the government to decide what I can or can't do as long as I don't endanger others, which I wouldn't be doing.
Are you counting the floor? In that case then no, it isn't safe for the floor. But it's safe for everyone else. But if you think it's so illogical and factually incorrect, then please, Einstein, use the pictures of my former house that I provided. Tell me who I would have endangered if I had fired a shot from my 45 straight into the floor from the master bedroom, living room or family room in that house. Your screename says nogods but apparently you think you are because you seem to think all bullets I could fire would change course after leaving the barrel. So I'm waiting to hear this omnipotent logic that you alone seem to possess, and that no one else in the world is aware of. Are angels going to sing when you post it?

The anaology isn't whether the car was blue or green that went through the red light causing the accident, its the fact that the car went through the red light.

It doesn't matter whether you are ignorantly discharging a muzzleloader or a handgun. The analogy is the ignorance of discharging a weapon which in every instance involves the risk of injury to both intended and unintended targets.

But go ahead, keep on trying to justify your adolescent beliefs with adolescent logic. There's a reason why we don't allow children to possess firearms unsupervised.

I don't rely on imaginary supernatural beings - science is good enough.

Link Removed

Stray Bullet Rips Through Home, Bounces Off Man’s Head

Tennessee man accidentally shoots neighbor through floor of his apartment

Maybe those houses were different colors than your house, so they aren't analogous.

The anaology isn't whether the car was blue or green that went through the red light causing the accident, its the fact that the car went through the red light.
Now you're trying to compare this to cars?

It doesn't matter whether you are ignorantly discharging a muzzleloader or a handgun. The analogy is the ignorance of discharging a weapon which in every instance involves the risk of injury to both intended and unintended targets.
Which isn't even remotely true, so like I said, no analogy.

But go ahead, keep on trying to justify your adolescent beliefs with adolescent logic. There's a reason why we don't allow children to possess firearms unsupervised.
Which loosely translated means, "I can't refute what you say, so I'm going to insult you instead and pretend to be superior."

I don't rely on imaginary supernatural beings - science is good enough.

Link Removed

Stray Bullet Rips Through Home, Bounces Off Man’s Head

Tennessee man accidentally shoots neighbor through floor of his apartment

Maybe those houses were different colors than your house, so they aren't analogous.
You know, I heard three people got killed crossing the street last year. So by your logic, crossing a street "in every instance involves the risk of injury to both intended and unintended" people. Yeah, we're really buying that argument. Why didn't you just give up while you were behind instead of digging your hole deeper?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back