Example of complete failure - Situational Awareness

~OtisM~

Banned
Total and complete failure of situational awareness. Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy combined with intent and complete failure to do anything about it. Classic example of a sheep with no will to live and no will to survive no matter what it takes. So freaking sad. 90% of our society would do the same thing. Lesson learned...Number one, situational awareness is key. Number two, some form of martial arts or self defense classes are an essential and required tool. A gun isn't enough. You can't just give into shock. This is what happens when you do. This guy said, "this can't happen to me, i'm important"...then three seconds later, on the ground and bleeding out. Learn your limitations and practice situational awareness ALWAYS.

LiveLeak.com - Trike man slashed to the ground by pickup guy with big blade

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

some form of martial arts or self defense classes are an essential and required tool. A gun isn't enough.

Martial arts or a self defense class versus a machete?????? No thanks. Ill stick to my handgun and defend myself from 25 yards from any madman with a machete coming at me.

A gun is enough. Especially against a knife, and just about everything other than a tank, plane, submarine, or nuke.

Do us a favor and stop posting on this gun forum

But with martial arts training he could have caught the blade between his palms, twisted the machete out of the assailants hand, roundhouse kicked him in the head and used the machete on him. *coughbullbuttercough* Fast and fleet footed would have helped too. *BANG* *BANG* Machete that buttwipe.

Those belittling the usefulness of martial arts need to educate themselves on the dynamics of close combat and then watch the video again. As far as gun vs knife, there are times when empty hand techniques are required in order to access a gun, or knife for that matter. It's true that the victim's awareness sucked. He appears to have had his attention on the person passing directly in front of him. It's just as true that the attacker used a very untrained attack that telegraphed his intentions and angle of attack in plenty of time for an effective counter attack by a trained person.

Do not let your disdain for another poster lead you into making unreasonable comments.

Just general comments on Monday morning while sipping my coffee....

Situational awareness is paramount. But then.. we are human beings and after thousands of years of trying to stay alive Mom Nature has programmed some instinctive responses into us. One of them is to intently focus on the "perceived" threat. "Perceived" meaning what we think is the threat may not be the real threat and while we are intently watching someone in front of us we think is the threat... the real threat is sneaking up on us from the side/behind.

And then there are times, and we all have them, when our attention is momentarily focused on something (like talking with a clerk as we pay for our gas and handle our money/billfold for just a very brief moment)... or even the occasional cranial flatulence moment.

My point is.. even though we can always look at someone elses self defense event from the sidelines and see where the person's situational awareness failed... if we are honest with ourselves we can look back on our own ordinary day and, even though nothing happened, we can see where we had our own lapses in awareness.

About the martial arts thing....

What many folks don't realize is that hand to hand fighting is still using weapons. Hands and feet ARE deadly weapons (with or without training) when used as such. Thus.. there is really no such thing as an "unarmed" man unless he is a quadruple amputee.

But that aside....

Just like concealed carry has it's advantages and disadvantages and open carry has it's advantages and disadvantages so does hand to hand combat (with or without martial arts training) have it's advantages and disadvantages.

All 3 are nothing more than tools a person can have available for defending themselves. And none of them is the "end all/be all" perfect tool for every person to use in every circumstance.

Thanks for reading the musings of an old man having a cuppa coffee in the morning.

Otis never said that martial arts training is all you need, he said (in so many words) that it is a useful tool to add to the tool box and (this time) he’s right.

In my opinion unarmed self defense adds another level to my overall preparedness; it gives me one more option to draw on if I need to.

I decided to start carrying a gun because I perceived a risk and decided the risk justified the money time and effort required to get a concealed handgun permit and the training and practice required to become proficient.

I’ll grant I learned how to fight before I started carrying a gun but there is still a perceived risk. It’s taken for granted on almost any gun forum you go to that if we ever have to use our guns we will be starting out behind the curve and playing catch up. So, knowing how to fight gives me a way to protect the gun and give myself space to bring the gun into play. I perceive the risk to be great enough to justify the time, money, effort, training, and practice required to become and stay proficient.

Treo is absolutely correct. Empty hand defense is a very useful tool to add to the tool box. Martial arts/self defense teaches both situational awareness as well as humility if you are a "good" student. Hopefully you'll never need to use your skills but you are confidant and aware which is the best deterent to being the target of an attack as we see in the video. That poor guy may have seen the attack coming and been on the otherside of that cart or could have reacted after the first slash and delt the attacker some critical blows and even gained control of the edged weapon.

What if the weapon you carry, knife, firearm or other, end up in the hands of your attacker? A knowledge of empty hand defense could turn a very deadly situation for you into just a stupid mistake and a lesson learned.

Attacks happen at different levels of distances from long distance, medium and close. Its best to have all the tools you can to deal with anything. You may not have the advantage of being 25 yards away from an attack or see it coming from far away.

Anyways, imho, it could never hurt to get yourself some self defense training.

Otis never said that martial arts training is all you need, he said (in so many words) that it is a useful tool to add to the tool box and (this time) he’s right.
I'm handicapped. I just added two spare magazines for my 45. That'll have to do. But if they get close enough, I can hit them with the actual tool box itself from the back of my truck if that helps.

I'm handicapped. I just added two spare magazines for my 45. That'll have to do. But if they get close enough, I can hit them with the actual tool box itself from the back of my truck if that helps.

I bet you can still learn and practice weapons retention techniques

I bet you can still learn and practice weapons retention techniques
I can and have. I plan to learn even more as time permits. I'm just not going to be a martial arts ninja. There's a place not too far from here that offers courses tailored to people with physical disabilities, or so I'm told.

And I've still got the tool box. If that doesn't work, I've got two Labradors who will keep the perpetrator occupied while I change mags or whatever. They do this by licking him, beating him with their wagging tails, trying to get him to throw a ball, and trying to get in his car to go for a ride with him. It's a great distraction.

I can and have. I plan to learn even more as time permits. I'm just not going to be a martial arts ninja. There's a place not too far from here that offers courses tailored to people with physical disabilities, or so I'm told.

I was worried that my last post came out sounding prickish but apparently it didn't.

My point, which you illustrated perfectly, is that there's always something you can do to improve your over all readiness

And I've still got the tool box. If that doesn't work, I've got two Labradors who will keep the perpetrator occupied while I change mags or whatever. They do this by licking him, beating him with their wagging tails, trying to get him to throw a ball, and trying to get in his car to go for a ride with him. It's a great distraction.
Quoted just because that last paragraph is so dang funny!

"I've got two Labradors who will keep the perpetrator occupied while I change mags or whatever. They do this by licking him, beating him with their wagging tails, trying to get him to throw a ball, and trying to get in his car to go for a ride with him. It's a great distraction."

Printed the above and showed it to family--man, ain't it very funny and ...true. Had my chocolate Lab at gun club today, and she tried to get into someone else's car. Typical Lab!

While you should always upgrade your training, guns, knives, martial arts, I wish I had a dollar for every martial arts guy I carried out of a bar in 24 years as a paramedic.

While you should always upgrade your training, guns, knives, martial arts, I wish I had a dollar for every martial arts guy I carried out of a bar in 24 years as a paramedic.

Hanging out in a McDojo doesn’t you a martial artist any more than owning a gun makes you a gunfighter.
Most “martial artists” that I’ve met study their technique and all that but they never seem to put any time into physical conditioning or strength training. And because of that they get their asses kicked

Hanging out in a McDojo doesn’t you a martial artist any more than owning a gun makes you a gunfighter.
Most “martial artists” that I’ve met study their technique and all that but they never seem to put any time into physical conditioning or strength training. And because of that they get their asses kicked

Agreed. But some 'correct' training and practice again and again is better than watching UFC and thinking ur an expert anyday.

And with each additional beer, they become more and more of an expert. Just ask them. After enough beer, you won't have to ask. They'll start telling you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back