Everyday Carry Means Everyday Awareness

opsspec1991

Everyday Carry Means Everyday Awareness
By Dave Dolbee
The new year is upon us, and it’s time to steer people into enlightenment and out of the old ways. While fate looks after some who do not wish to be bored with the facts, the facts are not in your favor if you don’t consider your everyday carry (EDC) gear and learn to use it well. Gear should be chosen after more than a 15-minute investigation.
If you carry a snubnose .38 in the pocket as EDC, perhaps you should practice firing through the jacket sometimes. Get a beater jacket from Goodwill, and spare the North Face garments.
I am certain some of you are fearless young pagans who wish to see what happens when you pull a tiger’s tail, while the rest of us find comfort in arriving home, starting a fire in the hearth and relaxing in comfort. It takes mental stimulation to enjoy life. After some of the incidents I’ve survived, I find comfort in what I have learned and am able to teach.
While such incidents may do more than lower the golf handicap, I do not jerk and gasp when someone slams the door too hard—but I have not forgotten. There are incidents that come upon you in the night and keep you company until the morning. They are best avoided. So, let’s pull ourselves together, confer rationally and find a skein of thought.
What do you carry every day? What should you carry? Everyday carry means you carry it at the least on a consistent basis. Our needs and world view affect the EDC gear. Our capabilities are not measured by what we carry, but in a real sense the limits of our capabilities are found in the EDC gear. Every day we deal with the mundane. The extraordinary should not be left to deal with us. We should be prepared. We have to consider the available space.
Most of us have about a yard of belt space, some less, some more. We have to use this space wisely with a proper allotment and balance. A good gun belt is essential. This is the primary load-carrying device and not the place for false economy. Next, we have the pockets. All gear should be chosen on a basis of quality and reliability, though a light weight is also important. Just do not lose your life for a few ounces of comfort.
How does your EDC gear stack up every day, say, at the grocery store? Go to the range, and find out.
Some vote for versatility, others as much specialization as possible. The knife, as an example, should be dedicated for personal defense and need not be a multitool. For some, a multitool is essential for their daily walk. There is no single solution for everyone, but there are tools and weapons that most of us will be able to use well. There is a balance between weight, effectiveness, and expense. We are dealing with the meanness and sordidness of life and the former or future denizens of the 51st state (the U.S. prison system). Let’s look hard in order to improve our situation.
Do Not Carry Situationally
The bad guys, in my experience, carry situationally. Very few carry a gun every day and every time they leave their home. They do, however, put a handgun in the belt—usually behind the belt buckle without a holster—just before they commit a mugging, robbery or assault. The rub is that we cannot see it coming and must be armed at all times. This doesn’t mean only packing the iron when traveling, going to the corner stop-and-rob or when out late at night. This means carrying the handgun at all times every day, not just when the idea strikes us. Only then will you be prepared to face an assault.
What do you carry every day? Your wallet, keys, cash, credit card, perhaps eyeglasses, and a handkerchief most likely. What if you left your wallet at home? How would your day go? Not well, probably. You might miss lunch for want of cash or not be able to badge in to work. A license check would be bad news. Have you ever wished you had brought less gear with you during the day or on a trip? Probably not. A plan and commitment are vital. Start planning today, and make EDC gear second nature.
I recommend researching the daily routine and likely scenario and carrying everything you need and nothing you don’t. As an example, a spare magazine or speedloader is important. Two spare magazines, probably less so. If I felt the need to carry two spare magazines for a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm, as an example, I would probably think I need a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm compact with a higher magazine capacity than the Shield. (I subscribe to making the rounds in the gun count. The fight will probably be over in the first three shots, and you either got your man or he got you.)
While probabilities of certain problems are low, possibilities are limitless. EDC must become part of the daily routine and the gear and its deployment second nature. You will practice accessing the gear and the items you deploy most often will have the strongest muscle memory for rapid acquirement. You will reach for your wallet many times during the day, and it is thus second nature. The handgun and holster combination must be learned by practice, as you will not be drawing it as a matter of course during the week. Keys, cell phone and other gear also have a high likelihood of strong muscle memory. Consider the circumstance of the typical day, and do not arrange your EDC gear in such a way that it will interfere with your emergency gear.
Typical essential gear includes a ring of keys, a truck key, a good knife and a dog whistle. Do not leave it loose in the pocket.
EDC gear may vary from time to time. Whether you are in an urban or rural environment, traveling or seated most of the day must be considered. Evaluate your needs and make the EDC as simple as possible. As an example, a ring of keys is simpler than a number of loose keys, and if your job demands it, a ring of keys on the belt makes sense. While repeatability is important, the climate introduces variations. Your covering garments affect your EDC carry, at least the mode of carry. Do you leave your gear in the vehicle at times? Is the EDC handgun too valuable to lose? (All are too valuable to lose, but a Glock is more easily replaced that a custom-grade handgun or Grandfather’s Detective Special.) Some tools are an acquired taste, and others are easily used by the majority of trained people.
Every Day Carry
1. Wallet – This should not be too big, bulky or overstuffed. It should be carried on the opposite side of the gun hand.
2. Cell phone – This should be kept most accessible; the front of the belt is good. It is essential for emergency communication.
3. Light – A good, small light is indispensable.
4. Cash – Credit cards are not useful in an emergency such as a power failure. Cash is a must.
5. Emergency medicine – If you a condition that requires medication, never leave home without your prescriptions (at least a two-day supply).
6. A good knife – The CRKT BT 70 and Steel Will Onrush are at the top of the list, though others will suffice.
7. A suitable handgun and holster.
8. Keys – Keys to your home and vehicle. Spares are well worth their weight if secreted on the person.
There are other items. Some will add some form of pepper spray. I prefer the knife, from hard experience. Non-dedicated attackers can be dissuaded by gas.
The handgun is often a compromise of weight, caliber, and size. Quality should never be compromised. The Glock 19 is a baseline and a very good one. The Glock is affordable. You can spend more—a lot more—but the Glock is reliable. You can spend less and get a lot less handgun. The Glock is useful by a trained shooter. The 9mm cartridge is the baseline for defense use. The Glock 19 9mm, in the opinion of many, is the baseline for comparison. Compare your EDC carry with this piece, and make an honest appraisal.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. ~Benjamin Franklin
This isn’t a complete directory of EDC gear, but it’s a beginning. Study your individual needs and situation, and go from there. You may need more or less than I have enumerated. Consider the weight/benefit trade-off. Also, wear the gear in a realistic scenario, bending and walking and performing daily chores. The arrangement must be reasonably comfortable and the balance of speed and access understood.
Read More: Everyday Carry Means Everyday Awareness

What's the dog whistle for?

Also known as the rape whistle or the only legal self defense tool you are allowed to carry in the UK.

I carry a whistle when I am hiking in the woods or skiing. It comes in handy when you have fallen off a ravine or cliff. The noise of a whistle has more reach than your voice yelling for help. I don't carry a whistle every day though.

As for situational carry, yes there are actually reasons for that. If you go to foreign countries as a tourist or on business, for example. Your gun stays home. Even self defense spray stays home.

I keep waiting for one of those thugs who carry their hand gun behind their belt buckle to shot themselves and lose their jewels. Just because they think they are tough just shows how really stupid they are. From what I have read, if confronted by someone who has a handgun they usually will cut and run. But you can never tell when they will decide to carry on and try to do harm to you. So if you can cut and get away, do it. If your only out is to fight then do it. Aim the best you can, keep moving, even if it is sideways and get behind something so the hoodlum is stuck out in the open and unprotected. Thank you to everyone who posted such great information.

Also known as the rape whistle or the only legal self defense tool you are allowed to carry in the UK.

I carry a whistle when I am hiking in the woods or skiing. It comes in handy when you have fallen off a ravine or cliff. The noise of a whistle has more reach than your voice yelling for help. I don't carry a whistle every day though.
Then that was an incredibly poor choice of words on his part. Many dog whistles are ultrasonic and difficult to hear by humans, making them an extremely poor choice for the scenarios you mention. Even if he intended the comment to mean a dog training whistle, many people probably still don't know what that is, so it still would have been best to stay away from the world of dogs when referring to whistles. But since we're on the topic of rescue/emergency whistles, I highly recommend the Fox 40.

A tourniquet and some gauze and bandage is a good idea to carry every day as well. You may not be able to make it to your car, where you have stored your emergency medical kit. This doesn't need to be the bulky Link Removed and Israeli Battle Dressing, just a TK4L (or two), compressed gauze, and compression bandage. Don't forget the pair of Nitrile gloves.
What do you consider bulky? A C-A-T is only 6.5 in. x 2.4 in. x 1.5 in. I see people carrying pocket knives bigger than that. The IPOK (Individual Patrol Officer Kit) includes a C-A-T, gauze, trauma dressing and gloves all in a vacuum sealed 4 in. x 6.5 in. x 2.75 in package. I've packaged that stuff individually and have never been able to get it that small, so I consider the IPOK to be a great asset for just the purposes you mention here. There's two of them in the emergency bag in my wife's SUV. I don't carry them because I have my own trauma bags with C-A-Ts and everything else, but I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to be really prepared in a small package. The IPOK isn't first aid though. Not in the classic sense that most people view as first aid. The IPOK is trauma response.

What do you consider bulky? A C-A-T is only 6.5 in. x 2.4 in. x 1.5 in. I see people carrying pocket knives bigger than that. The IPOK (Individual Patrol Officer Kit) includes a C-A-T, gauze, trauma dressing and gloves all in a vacuum sealed 4 in. x 6.5 in. x 2.75 in package. I've packaged that stuff individually and have never been able to get it that small, so I consider the IPOK to be a great asset for just the purposes you mention here. There's two of them in the emergency bag in my wife's SUV. I don't carry them because I have my own trauma bags with C-A-Ts and everything else, but I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to be really prepared in a small package. The IPOK isn't first aid though. Not in the classic sense that most people view as first aid. The IPOK is trauma response.

C-A-T = 6.50 x 2.40 x 1.5 inches
TK4L = 1.75 x 2.75 x 1.5 inches

C-A-T = 6.50 x 2.40 x 1.5 inches
TK4L = 1.75 x 2.75 x 1.5 inches
So am I supposed to interpret that to mean you consider the definition of bulky to be anything larger than a TK4L? Considering the other items recommended in the article, including knives over five inches long, I don't think a six and a half inch C-A-T is all that bulky, but I guess that's all a matter of personal perspective. The IPOK is a bit larger, but it also includes those other items you recommended for carry. But all of this is going to be a compromise just as the author of the article noted will be the case for a firearm. It will be a weight/size/benefit trade-off, and the trade-off will differ according to the needs and circumstances of each individual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back