Even with a NO WEAPONS sign Aldi`s does the right thing!

I see the GG in the Milwaukee area Aldi`s customer stops robbery story, will not be charged. Good story with a happy ending, except for the BG.

I seriously doubt it. They will be too afraid of legal issues. Corporate thing. At least be more like Starbucks. They don't really care. As long as a cup of coffee gets sold. Bottom line. Now that's a neutral stance.

Funny, think about this...

A guy posts on the forum that he carries any and everywhere regardless of signage. He feels he does not want to avoid his favorite food, favorite whatever's or miss getting needed business done just 'cause there's a no-guns sign on the door. He gets chastised by the sign-police on the forum, you know, the morally superior bunch who call him names like "internet Rambo" or "keyboard Rambo" or state that the guy is setting a bad example by breaking da law.

Then comes a story about a guy that may well have saved his hide or someone else's by ignoring just such a sign. ...Thank heaven he was there, btw, to prevent possible loss of life. For me, that's all the justification some guy would need on some forum to say "screw the signs".

Disagree? No problem, it's just another way of thinking, that's all.

Oh, what kind of names should we call the guy that stopped the robbery at Aldi's?

The letter I just wrote to Aldi Customer Service. I suggest you contact them as well at Link Removed

Dear Sir or Ma'am:

I am writing as a lawful gun owner, in regard to the recent robbery attempt in Milwaukee. As you may know, this is the first case of a concealed carry permit holder in Wisconsin using a firearm in self-defense.

First off, I want to applaud your decision to not press charges against the lawfully armed citizen who stopped the robbery, despite him being in violation of your store's "no gun policy."

Secondly, I want to urge you to reconsider this policy. As this incident clearly illustrates, criminals intent on committing violent acts are not stopped by policies or signs. These sorts of policies only serve to leave lawful citizens vulnerable and disarmed, giving the armed criminals an advantage.

Can you imagine how much worse this could have been, had it not been for the permit holder who (whether or not on purpose) violated your policy?

Many other companies, instead of creating these sorts of policies, simply defer to federal and state firearms laws. I hope you'll consider doing exactly that.

Thank you for your time!

The letter I just wrote to Aldi Customer Service. I suggest you contact them as well at Link Removed

Good letter! As Aldi's is a German-based company (Germany has fairly strict rules about firearm ownership and carry), it will be interesting to see how much leeway their American operation has. I sent them an email as well.

Great post, and an excellant example. We must do our part, not just sit back and complain, but get involved. I will follow your example, and let Aldi`s know how I feel.

I was searching Aldi on the net yesterday and saw that in Michigan a group successfully lobbied Aldi to remove the signs and follow state law.

Also, I would have sworn my Aldi's was not posted, I stopped by yesterday to check it out after the local news said that all Aldi's were posted. The posting was not on the outside of the building viewable before entering, it was next to the second inside door. I had to literally enter the building turn to my left to look at the Grey sigh with Blue lettering located approx 4 feet from the floor amongst other similarly colored signs. It looks like Grey and Blue sign is Aldi's sign colors of choice. So much for have attention getting colors, It is no wonder I never saw the sign. I have no doubt this individual in the Milwaukee shooting missed the sign as well. In order to leave & store your weapon in your car you would have to walk through the store or wait for another customer to activate the one-way automatic doors. Stupid sign placement as it is unenforceable under Wisconsin law, which state that it must be clearly visible before entering the restricted area.

Letter to Aldi's to follow. With the Walmart across the parking lot I have a choice, but I will let them know that I prefer their store for convenience if the posting is removed.

added comment:
Letter sent, hope to get a response worth reading, but expecting a canned response.

No signage at Aldis here in Texas, but Toys r us does, it's not a 30.06 so I roll up packing anyway. Only place I haven't been able to so far is chucke cheese and grapvine mills mall, they don't get my business.

Oh, and it looks like I got a reply in my email from Aldi's:

Dear Mr. Gain:

We have received your email regarding the No Weapons signs that we have posted in our stores and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your point of view with us. We understand your concern and will pass it on to the appropriate department for their review.

Thank you for your patronage.

Sincerely,

Kandi King
Customer Service Representative

Nothing terribly exciting, but figured I should post it in the name of accuracy and followup.

Here is my response from Aldi; form letter nothing more.

"We have received your email regarding the No Weapons signs that we have posted in our stores and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your point of view with us. We understand your concern and will pass it on to the appropriate department for their review.

Thank you for your patronage.

Sincerely,

Brittany Wilk
Customer Service Representative"

Interesting. I'll check the Aldi's in Mount Pleasant WI this weekend, I may be able to resume shopping there if Aldi's is quietly doing the right thing by not limiting my rights.

update: a quick check show the Aldi's in Mount Pleasant/Racine has also removed their sign.

He gets chastised by the sign-police on the forum, you know, the morally superior bunch who call him names like "internet Rambo" or "keyboard Rambo" or state that the guy is setting a bad example by breaking da law.
The is no law that says you have to obey the sign in a private business. The no gun signs are there on the advice of the company lawyers who then can wash their hands of any liability if a legal carrier happens to hit someone else besides the bad guy.
It you are caught not wearing shoes or shirts or ccw'ing you can be asked to leave. If you don't leave you can be arrested for peace disturbance maybe.
The people you speak of (sign police) have been indoctrinated since the 90's. Signs and Warnings are now on just about everything from cigarettes to baby aspirin. Even my own kids (now adults) think the sell by date on food means you have to throw it out.
I try to teach them by alas the Public Education System has broken any spirit of individualism and has taught a couple of generations now that risk is a bad thing. Take no risk and the guberment will always be there to protect you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back