Driving from NY to PA (Philadelphia)

d@v3

I have a resident New York permit AND a non-resident Pennsylvania permit. I will be driving from Syracuse to Philadelphia this weekend and I have a couple of questions:

1) Someone told me it was technically illegal to transport a handgun in a vehicle outside of New York state or something along those lines. Is this true?

2) I know this has been asked a million times, but I see different answers everywhere: is Philadelphia limited to concealed carry while the rest of the state is both open carry and concealed carry?

3) Is it probable that LEO's give me a hard time if I decide to open carry? It seems they do not have a good reputation when it comes to dealing with citizens who choose to open carry.

Obviously I will be avoiding NJ and New York City! :laugh:

Hey Dave,

I too am a resident NY CCW with non-resident PA CCW. You will have no problem going from NY into PA while carrying concealed. The biggest difference I have found is that in PA you may carry concealed in state parks whereas in NY this is prohibited. This url will give you better understanding of PA's laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf I choose not to carry openly but I know the law also permits open carry in Philadelphia although you may bring much unwanted attention from the LEO's in the city of brotherly love. I choose to live without the added drama. Have fun man!

Joe

Thanks for the info, Joe. I think you forgot to post the URL though! I'm probably NOT going to carry openly, because I really don't want the drama either. I was just curious as to what the final answer was on the Philadelphia. So, I will not have any problem with concealed carry in Philadelphia?

You can conceal carry in Philadelphia. It is open carry that has been the subject of debate recently. The most recent I have read is that open carry is permitted in PA with the exception of cities of the 1st class. Philadelphia is the only city of 1st class in pa. Conceal carry is fine as long as you have a permit or a reciprocal permit. There is more info here http://www.pafoa.org/law

Thanks Steve,

I didn't realize you DON'T need a CCW to carry openly in the state PA (minus vehicles and Philadelphia). Seems like that's backwards. One cannot carry concealed without a permit, but CAN open carry without a permit (minus vehicles and Philadelphia).

Thanks Steve,

I didn't realize you DON'T need a CCW to carry openly in the state PA (minus vehicles and Philadelphia). Seems like that's backwards. One cannot carry concealed without a permit, but CAN open carry without a permit (minus vehicles and Philadelphia).

Yes in PA, if you are legal to own a handgun, you may open carry without a permit... I know that is for residents... not sure for non-residents. However, if you have a permit, (resident or non-resident) you may do both. And yes, Philly is a place to avoid open carry. Too many libertards in that city.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back