Double question about what came with my pistol?

kelpike

My Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 came with a little yellow envelope in the box which contained a shell. Do these come with every pistol? Can the date on this envelope help me figure out when my gun was manufactured?

Not every gun will come with fired cases. I once bought a new 1911 that came with two fired cases. All this is showing you is that the gun was test fired by the factory and the two cases are sent to prove that. As for the date on the envelope, maybe that is the day it was test fired ?.

As far as I understand, those fired cases come with a gun so that they can go through a Ballistics Imaging Program. Maryland was the last state that maintained a gun database with images of fired cases. It has been discontinued recently.

Your gun has a serial number. Its production month or even exact date can be often looked up using the serial number through a manufacturer database or public database maintained by gun owners, for example the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson.

Not every gun will come with fired cases. I once bought a new 1911 that came with two fired cases. All this is showing you is that the gun was test fired by the factory and the two cases are sent to prove that. As for the date on the envelope, maybe that is the day it was test fired ?.

Urban myth. Fired case actually included in case the gun was sold in Maryland to comply with Maryland state law. And New York. Not sure if those laws have since been repealed or not.

For example:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/2nd-am...nt-case-new-s-w-guns-purpose.html#post1239525

The fired casing has something to do with Massachusetts law to help identify the weapon is it used for some illegal purpose (in Mass). Means nothing; I threw mine away. More important, don't lose that little wrench that you got. You need it to adjust the laser and replace batteries. I lost mine and S&W replaced it via mail. Got a problem with my laser. I sent S&W an email this morning. Instead of a nice clean red dot, I get a big red Blotch. Whe??????? See what they got to say.

Here is a picture. Very strange.

21lvolx.jpg
Link Removed

That red blob is typically an indicator of a dirty aperture lens. Try cleaning the laser output with a clean/dry Q-tip. You don't want any oil, solvent, or residue on the laser output.

Sent from my XT1254 using USA Carry mobile app

Did that. A no go. I got an email from S&W. Send the lesser unit to them and they will replace it.

It is the casing of the shell they fired in the factory test., and the date was the date the shot was fired.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back