Dont know how to take this.

misunderstood

I got up from table this morning. I was eatting as a family when discussion of rip van winkle come up. Then it lead to American revolution. When the two boys mother asked them who did we fight in the American revolution. And why? Well i was expecting guessing. I was exepecting silly guesses. But i what got from the youngest made me a little disgusted. He said white people. Made me sick to think that the school system fails young people like it does. And to teach proganda and racism like that for a child to think that war was fought against white people. This child has been to several schools. They have all failed him. Why do i have to work overtime to teach real history and to reteach their lesson from that day.

Home School. Best thing we ever did for our girls. Don't tell me you don't time. My wife and I both work, its not that hard.

This child has been to several schools. They have all failed him.
It might be the school system rather than the school. My wife is a teacher and she says the students will sometimes react to previously taught material as if it came from Mars. But she said the most likely cause is probably similar to what she's seen in her school, where the kids are continually taken out of class for non-core educational activities like D.A.R.E. She said the school system in general is placing a low emphasis on social studies (she teaches language arts). She has considered teaching it herself on several occasions, but with the kids being taken out of those classes so often, the frustration would probably drive her to lose here job because she wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to tell some administrator off.

Sure they can. It probably won't be the right answer, but they can still tell you.

Bahaha true true...I asked my sister in law, who is 17, what the Spanish-American War was about. She said "when did we fight Mexico?". She's an "honor student" national honor society, all that jazz...personally, i was never aware that the cold war ended until 1999, when I was in 10th grade. Not sure what Clinton supposedly did for education...

My children, and now my grandchildren, generally knew/know more about history than their teachers. The teachers have always been amazed by it.

The American public education system has been destroyed by the creation of the Department of Education, which put our schools under the control of the NEA. "No Child Left Behind" has made it much worse.

Whatever the answer tell them "correct" we don't want to damage their psyche and self esteem! The idea that self esteem can only be earned through accomplishment must be outdated. 2+2=5 very good johnny you were very close!
misunderstod>>>> If the boys are black I am sorry that they will go through life with such a warped outlook. They were done a true hurtful disservice!
If the boys are white I am sorry that they will go through life with such a warped outlook. Liberal brainwashing has really taken hold. They were done a hurtful disservice!

Schools are no longer institutions of education, they're institutions of liberal propaganda & indoctrination. Have been for decades, no secret, nothing new.

We are white. The only war they know about really is civil.war. which they are children. I dont expect them at their age to really know alot of history yet. But when his answer was white people because he heard this in school system it concerns me.. he has gone to public schools in upper ny and in nc. White people are minority in both. But i dont expect my child to come home with an answer like that. I dont teach color and neither should they.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back